UnRidden by Cat Johnson
When country boys meet a city girl, everyone is in for a wild ride. Studs in Spurs, Book 1 Slade Bower and Mustang Jackson are living the high life on the professional bull-riding circuit. The prize money is big, the bulls are rank and the women are willing. But something is missing. For Slade, waking up in a different city with a different woman each morning is holding less and less appeal. Even Mustang's creative attempts to shake things up don't help. Then along comes a big-city author who's like nothing they've ever encountered. Something about her makes Slade sit up and take notice-and Mustang is always up for anything. Romance writer Jenna Block has a problem-her agent thinks a cowboy book will jump-start her career. A born New Yorker, Jenna doesn't do cowboys, not on paper, and definitely not in real life. Luckily for her there are two cowboys ready, willing and able to take her out of her comfort zone in every way that counts...and some ways she hadn't counted on. Warning: This story contains two hot cowboys, one very lucky woman, hot menage sex and lots of bull.… (more)

So nice to read a book where anal play isn't about submission.... ( )
  Teenycakes | Sep 27, 2015 |
DOn't have much to say about the book. The plot was weak, I didn't connect with the characters at all: thought that Slade was a bore, Jenna wasn't that much either and the only one that made me feel something was Mustang and the whole book led you to believe that that threesome was going to lead somewhere and then it didn't and everything just seemed rushed to an end. ( )
  msralways | Aug 19, 2014 |
Unridden is one of those books that really makes me wish for a half star because it was better than three stars, but it never quite captures a fourth star.

Jenna Block is a romance novelist from NYC(how masturbatory, a romance novel about a romance author, but I digress) researching cowboys for her next novel. While in Tulsa at a romance authors' convention, she meets Mustang Jackson (so nicknamed for his oversized wang of mighty lovin') and Slade Bower, two pro bull riders in town for a championship. They meet for drinks to discuss bull riding and flirt a bit before Jenna goes home for the evening, promising to attend the event the next evening.

I liked that Johnson had the heroine go back to her room. I find a lot of menage stories have a woman falling quickly into bed with two strangers, a decision so reckless I can hardly respect the heroine afterwards. Instead, Johnson takes two nights for Mustang to charm and Slade to intrigue her before Jenna basically says "Fuck it, why not?" That it happens on her 35th birthday, Jenna deciding she's not getting any younger, also lent more realism to the situation for me.

The sex scenes are rather sweet, considering the content. Johnson mercifully avoids the play by play style sex scene so common to the genre and focuses on their thoughts, feelings and reactions throughout. We see Mustang having a fun time, Slade fighting jealousy and Jenna trying to process it all.

However, this is about where the book started to lose its focus. A romance forming out of a menage is conflict enough. There was no need for a large age gap (Mustang's 25, Slade 27) or another man's interest to be thrown into the mix. I guess she intended Chase's attentions to show Slade's attachment and jealousy, but it would have been far less messy to do so with Mustang.

As a result, I felt the romantic relationship between Jenna and Slade ended up underdeveloped. I was surprised to find this would not end in a permanent menage. The connection between Slade and Jenna seemed no stronger than between her and Mustang. The tenuous connection between these two meant the ending was more of a HFN than HEA. These two may call it love, but they know so little of each other that they are more accurately infatuated and only beginning their courtship. I wouldn't call the ending unsatisfying, as I'd prefer this to a hasty marriage, but it is far less tied up and neat than your average romance.

Overall, I enjoy Johnson's voice and style and found she creates real, multi-faceted characters. Despite this book's flaws, it was still a joy to read and a good story. I'll definitely pick up future books of hers. ( )
  Ridley_ | Apr 1, 2013 |
Whoa Boy! I'm seriously blushing writing this, talk about hot ménage à trois! I have never felt drawn to read a romance or erotic romance with more than two participants in the bedroom ( in the story mind you! ) but somehow as I wanted to read a modern western I saw this book pop-up on Goodreads. Got my hands on it and was bit surprised as the two bull riders catch a girl off the audience and um... go at it. That's not the story however ( just Chapter 1 ) but it just shocked me a little... now to the story!

Slade Bower and Mustang Jackson are pro bull riders, best friends since the beginning, life is pretty good, new town, new girls, every night, and the girls don't mind taking two cowboys to bed at the same time. Though Slade is starting to get jaded and doesn't see the fun where there used to be a lot.

Queue in Jenna a romance novel writer getting her wrist slapped for not coming up with a book trendy enough, and as she refused to write about space vampire pirates she goes for the easier choice cowboys, of which she knows nothing about. Luckily it just happens that her author's conference in Tulsa also hosts A Bull Riding Championship and its pretty much Kismet!

Jenna finds Slade and Mustang after 'the show' and persuades them to help her with her facts and learning what being a cowboy is like - little does she know Slade and Mustang have others things in mind for the night, mainly bedding Jenna. But Jenna's not a groupie and the cowboys need to change tactics to get her in the game.

This story could have easily been an exploitation of the female character but it sure steered well away from that, so well that I would actually call this a sweet story! whjat?! Yeah you heard me, a sweet threesome story. You can tell Slade starting to fall for her right away, and Mustang is just so damn charming, there is no way any girl can resist that guy. Jenna is fun, and not at all naive, like you might expect for a girl who gives into two guys.

Now let's get to the sex - Whoa! Now I've never read threesome scenes before but, damn! I've been missing out! Slade, Jenna and Mustang make quite the team! It's page sizzling hot, slow, steady, rough kinda ride. And it doesn't help that theres ma'ams and darlin's thrown in the mix to cause heart palpitations on unsuspecting readers...

I especially loved the end - this story needed a happy ending and it got one.

And - Yes, incase you are wondering I have Bucked and Ride waiting to be read as well now! It doesn't get much better than this!

From : http://niinas-reading-and-reviewing.blogspot.com/2011/10/review-unridden.html ( )
  NiinaC | Oct 4, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,628,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible