The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of…

The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement (original 2011; edition 2011)

by David Brooks (Author)

From the influential and hugely popular "New York Times" columnist and bestselling author of "Bobos in Paradise" comes a landmark exploration of how human beings and communities succeed.
Member:lindachristie
Title:The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement
Authors:David Brooks (Author)
Info:Random House (2011), Edition: 1, 531 pages

Work Information

The Social Animal: The Hidden Sources of Love, Character, and Achievement by David Brooks (2011)

I enjoy reading Brooks. His ideas, though, just don't stick with me after the book is done. ( )
  mykl-s | Dec 22, 2022 |
An interesting book that starts with a great premise but is its own undoing. The tagline "this is the happiest story you will ever read" is wrong and not really representative of what goes on. The story is strange and points in the plot are loosely connected in order to tee-up a boat load of research evidence. The style can get a little tedious quickly, but I still think the book is worth a good 4 stars. For a lot of the filler and stuff you will skim over, there are some real gems here too and parts which will make you smile or get your attention. ( )
  soylee22 | Jun 21, 2022 |
Due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to finish this book completely. But the 2/3-ish that I did read was fascinating. I love David Brooks and I found the way that he presented research much more accessible than other formats. Hopefully I can come back to it some day. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
Overreaching attempt to explain the whole of life and the human condition, with lots of pop psychology. Interesting parts, with a loosely woven fable to humanize the studies. ( )
  elifra | Jul 30, 2020 |
This is a book that looks that the sciences that concern the human mind and behaviours. But it is written looking at a couple of fictional characters called Harold and Erica, and pauses at points in their lives to consider the sciences behind the assumptions.

The science parts are therefore very good, written with clarity at the current best understanding of the way the brain works and the way society and people function. I did find the fictional account of the couple a little bit twee, and was not always relevant. ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 185,634,465 books! | Top bar: Always visible