Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai

Inside Out and Back Again (original 2011; edition 2013)

by Thanhha Lai (Author)

Through a series of poems, a young girl chronicles the life-changing year of 1975, when she, her mother, and her brothers leave Vietnam and resettle in Alabama.
Member:Heidis26
Title:Inside Out and Back Again
Authors:Thanhha Lai (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2013), Edition: 1, 288 pages

Work Information

Inside Out and Back Again by Thanhha Lai (2011)

This was a compelling story about a Vietnamese girl who was a refugee during the Vietnam war. The story follows Ha a young girl who must overcome various challenges of being a refugee and how she had to move to America. The story involves culture shock and racism, which are both heavily throughout the book. ( )
  Christian1997 | Dec 7, 2021 |
A young girl travels leaving Vietnam with her family, to go to Alabama. This books is written in verse form. This book deals with child-refugees struggle in great detail. How immigrants deal with humiliation ,bullying and so much more. I believe that this would be a great read aloud, even though it is not an English content area book. This book deals with many issues that middle schoolers deal with. I believe that it would raise awareness of immigrants, as well as how they are treated. It also deals with bullies which seems to happen in influx in middle grades. ( )
  fet005 | Nov 19, 2021 |
Beautifully written book in verse relating the very sad experience of a 10 year old girl escaping South Vietnam and moving to Alabama. Her reception was not at all warm, but he family and religion helped greatly to soften the blow. The style of the book drew me in, as did the one word emotions shared. I read this immediately after my granddaughter finished it. ( )
  suesbooks | Sep 3, 2021 |
Written in verse, the author’s eloquent message embraces the uni - versal frustrations of refugees. She tells the story of Hà, who must leave her beloved Vietnam for an awkward but promising life in Ala - bama.
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
I can't imagine leaving my country to live in another, but Thanhha tells us how scary yet wonderful it could be. ( )
  cougargirl1967 | Jul 18, 2021 |
To the millions of refugees in the world, may you each find a home
1975: Year of the Cat
Today is Tet,
the first day
of the lunar calendar.
Every Tet
we eat sugary lotus seeds
and glutinous rice cakes.
We wear all new clothes,
even underneath.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,061,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible