It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy (2011)

by Laurie Notaro

Focuses on the author's haphazard efforts to fit into her ultra-liberal Oregon community, an endeavor marked by everything from stolen trees and a ban from the post office to dental implants and closed neighborhood parties.

LOVE Laurie Notaro!! Always a great laugh! ( )
  purple_pisces22 | Mar 14, 2021 |
Funny stories from the author's life. FWD e-mails from her mother which equates future world destruction. Getting banned from the neighborhood Christmas party due to lip synching Jingle Bells. Having trees stolen from planters in her front yard. A wrestling match with a shirt that is mis-sized in a dressing room. And the dog translator collar which tells you what the dog's bark means. Some were just hilarious. ( )
  ChrisWeir | Jul 10, 2019 |
Finally figured out to do a 1/2 star!! Yay me!! Overall enjoyed this collection from Notaro, but I found it to be a bit uneven. The belly laughs were there, but interspersed with a little too much, "oh, that's kinda cute." With that said, the belly laughs are worth the price of admission. ( )
  AliceAnna | Dec 4, 2018 |
Pretty funny book. I had fun listening to it while I worked. I think people were wondering why I was laughing sometimes. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 11, 2016 |
It Looked Different on the Model: Epic Tales of Impending Shame and Infamy by Laurie Notaro

★★★★★ ♥

I’ve pretty much read every Laurie Notaro book, and as usual, this one did not disappoint in the least. In fact, I would say that this is one of my favorite by her. She is hilarious. If you enjoy Jen Lancaster, this is no way you can’t enjoy Notaro and vise versa.

The situations that Laurie gets herself into are too funny, I found myself laughing on several occasions while reading this book. They are also situations that one can see themselves getting into. For the most part, they aren’t over top, making her very relatable. I would recommend this for anyone looking for some humor. It’s a fun, quick read. I know I had trouble putting it down. I was even disappointed that sleep finally took over at several points (being super sick and on sleepy meds does that) because it meant putting down the book. I look forward to her next book being released this coming week (on 5/7/2013).
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
To Heather, Haley, Ryan, and Hilary
Love, love, love
The shirt was so pretty.

Everyone's favorite Idiot Girl, Laurie Notaro, is just trying to find the right fit, whether it's in the adorable blouse that looks charming on the mannequin but leaves her in a literal bind or in her neighborhood after she's shamefully exposed at a holiday party by delivering a low-quality rendition of "Jingle Bells." Notaro makes misstep after riotous misstep as she tries (and catastrophically fails) to gain some ground---delightfully whipping up butter-laden cupcakes for the local vegan kids, finding herself banned from the post office for wanting too many two-cent stamps ("The post-office lady looked at me like I had just asked her if she wanted to buy my sex tape"), and discovering what appears to be a corpse on her front lawn seconds before her sister is due to visit ("I had approximately three to four minutes to move the carcass from my yard into my neighbors' yard so my sister would think it was their dead person"). She shares tales of marriage and family, including stories about the dog-bark translator that deciphers Notaro's and her husband's own "woofs" a little too accurately, the emails from her mother with "FWD" in the subject line ("which in email code means Forecasting World Destruction"), and the dead-of-night shopping sprees and Devil Dog-devouring monkeyshines of a creature known as "Ambien Laurie." At every turn, Notaro's pluck and irresistible candor sets the New York Times best-selling author on a journey that's laugh-out-loud funny and utterly unforgettable.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,557,222 books! | Top bar: Always visible