Oz: The Marvelous Land of Oz (Marvel…

Oz: The Marvelous Land of Oz (Marvel Classics (Hardcover)) (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Eric Shanower (Author), Skottie Young (Illustrator)

Member:TheFallingAlice
Title:Oz: The Marvelous Land of Oz (Marvel Classics (Hardcover))
Authors:Eric Shanower (Author)
Other authors:Skottie Young (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2010), Ausgabe: 01, 200 Seiten
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

The Marvelous Land of Oz [graphic novel] by Eric Shanower (2010)

English (11)  German (1)  All (12)
Eric Shanower and Skottie Young's follow-up to their adaptation of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is no less kinetic, fun, or colorful, but because it moves beyond the boundaries of the most famous Oz characters and adventures, it's at least slightly more surprising - which is good. Baum's theatrical tale of enchantments, inanimate objects brought to life and the invasion of the Emerald City is golden material for the graphic novel format, and some of the least familiar scenes from the original work - such as the consultations between General Jinjur and the witch Mombi - actually become some of the most memorable here. Baum's satirical sense of humor gets a good outing as well, with lots and lots of groan-worthy puns (which is lampshaded in the character of the Wogglebug).

If I have any complete, it's only that Young seems to have pulled back a little in finding new and different ways to depict the Oz characters. His Ozma is clearly based on John R. Neill's Ozma; his Sawhorse is clearly Neill's Sawhorse; his Jack Pumpkinhead, while not exactly Neill's Pumpkinhead, is dressed in precisely the same garments. That's authenticity to the text, to be sure, but it would have been nice to see Young's art push beyond those boundaries a little bit. His Tin Woodman isn't much like the description we get of the Tin Woodman in Wonderful Wizard, but he is a highly effective creation all the same. I would have liked to see a Young-styled Ozma created from a similar position of carte blanche. ( )
  saroz | Dec 22, 2015 |
So I have no idea why this book took me over a month to read. Just like the first book in the series it's funny and filled with action and adventure. In this volume we follow Tip as he leaves his home with the witch Mombi and meets up with the Scarecrow and the Tin Man and helps Glinda the good witch reestablish the rightful ruler of the Emerald City when the Scarecrow is ousted by an arm of women. There is a very unexpected twist at the end and we get to meet some great new characters. The artwork is just phenomenal and is again very bright and colorful. The whole book has a very nostalgic feel to it that anyone would benefit reading. ( )

Eric Shanowerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Young, SkottieIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Baum, L. FrankAuthorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Beaulieu, Jean-FrancoisColoristsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Eckleberry, JeffLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Is an adaptation of

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 078514028X, Hardcover)

The epic continues! Fresh off their landmark THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF OZ, superstars ERIC SHANOWER (Age of Bronze) and SKOTTIE YOUNG (X-MEN) return with L. Frank Baum's MARVELOUS LAND OF OZ. Join new characters Tip and Jack Pumpkinhead as they're whisked to Oz, and meet foes and friends! You've NEVER seen L. Frank Baum's masterpiece like this before...

COLLECTING:

The Marvelous Land of Oz #1-8

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:23 -0400)

Graphic novel retelling of L. Frank Baum's classic story. When the Scarecrow, now the ruler of the Emerald City, is driven out by General Jinjur and her all-girl army, his friends--the Tin Woodman, a boy named Tip, and Jack Pumpkinhead--try to restore peace.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,481,424 books! | Top bar: Always visible