The Soldier's Wedding: Special Forces #1 by…

The Soldier's Wedding: Special Forces #1 (edition 2017)

by Karina Bliss (Author)

Member:gincam
Title:The Soldier's Wedding: Special Forces #1
Authors:Karina Bliss (Author)
Info:(2017), 184 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:they both have to find an honest healing for themselves before their love can grow

The Soldier's Wedding by Karina Bliss

Author Karina Bliss begins her "Special Forces Series" with "The Soldier's Wedding". Longtime best friends Josephine Swann and Dan Jansen have always been there for each other--never as lovers, but more like sister and brother. However, some things are just too deep and personal to share, even with your best friend. Through a twist of Fate, Dan is not out on the mission when his Special Forces unit in Afghanistan is attacked and his friends and comrades are either grievously wounded or killed. He blames their losses on himself and struggles with doubt and guilt. Jo never told Dan that she had been seriously ill and had to undergo a life-altering surgery. When Dan returns from Afghanistan, he is determined to hold Jo to a promise they made in jest years ago to marry each other if they were not already married to someone else by a certain age. While Jo is relieved and happy that Dan has made it home, she has no intentions of marrying him. As he proceeds to try to convince her that their friendship will be a great starting point for a happy marriage, he goes forward with plans for the wedding ceremony. Each of them is dealing with family issues--Jo's beloved grandmother is suffering from increasing symptoms of Alzheimer's Disease, and Dan's parents are becoming more estranged from each other with separation looking more possible each day. As Dan and Jo begin to look at each other with a new awareness, there may be more between them than friendship, but they both have to find an honest healing for themselves before their love can grow and come into full bloom, I really enjoyed "The Soldier's Wedding", and I look forward to reading the three other books in the series. ( )
  gincam | May 15, 2019 |
REVIEW: In a rather unlikely situation, Jo is dealing with too many issues to be swept away by Dan’s sense of romance. He is struggling also and seems a little uncertain of his motivations. The book is well written but is more deep drama than humorous. Both are reeling from life’s quirks. The pending marriage almost keeps them from supporting each other. I voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book.

DESCRIPTION, NOT REVIEW: If Jo Swann weren't so furious, she'd probably laugh. Her best friend, Dan Jansen, has launched a campaign worthy of his Special Forces training to arrange their wedding, from music and minister to flowers and food. What part of no does he not understand?
Their marriage 'agreement' was a tipsy scrawl on the back of a coaster...three years ago. It's not a question of love. Of course, she loves Dan. She's loved him all her life. If only she could get him to slow down a minute and listen—to be the friend she needs right now—she could convince him that marriage would ruin everything. ( )
  treehousereader | Feb 4, 2018 |
This was a sweet friends-to-lovers tale. Jocelyn and Dan have been best friends forever. They agreed, during a night of drunken revelry, that if they were still unmarried at 33 they'd marry each other. Both knew it was a joke, even if they did write it down on the back of a bar placemat and sign it like a contract. Now, on the eve of Jocelyn's 33rd birthday, Dan has changed the rules of the game..he's decided he really wants to marry Jocelyn. But neither of them are the kids they were when they made that deal..a lot has changed. Jocelyn no longer wants a husband and kids, and Dan is no longer the carefree, fearless soldier he once was.

There was a lot of depth here that I didn't expect. The way the story starts out it seems it's going to be a lighthearted romance, but Bliss tackled some heavy issues. I had some problems with both main characters at various times throughout the story, but for the most part I enjoyed watching them come together. I think Jo was a little too independent. I understand wanting to stand on your own two feet and take care of your own problems, but she took it too far.

Though I enjoyed the romance, I think it was overshadowed by the personal growth of both characters. The I Love You's seemed kind of forced at first, though in the end I did believe in them fully.

If you're looking for a good friends-to-lovers story, check this one out. I'll be picking up the rest of the series as it's released. ( )
  cranberrytarts | Sep 22, 2013 |
The Book: Here comes the Groom by Karina Bliss

The Particulars: Contemporary Romance, Harlequin Superromance, available both in print and e-book

Why was it in my TBR? I picked it up for Smart Bitch Sarah’s bookclub, but I never got around to read it.

The Review:

The blurb:

If Jocelyn Swann weren't so furious she'd probably laugh. Her best friend, Dan Jansen, has launched a campaign worthy of his Special Forces Training to arrange their wedding, from music and minister to flowers and food. What part of no does he not understand?

Their marriage agreement was a tipsy scrawl on the back of a coaster three years ago. It's not a question of love. Of course she loves Dan. She's loved him all her life. If only she could get him to slow down a minute and listen - to be the friend she needs right now - she could convince him that marriage would ruin everything.

My impressions:
This is the first book by Karina Bliss that I have read. And I must say, I am impressed. In a limited space created a funny, yet touching story about love, and acceptance.
I smiled when I read about their courting. How Jo stubbornly insisted it was a joke, while Dan calmly continued to prepare for the wedding.. Jo’s reasons for refusing to marry Dan makes sense. He is wounded after the death of his friends. And, he needs to accept that he isn’t to blame.
I liked that Jo gradually realised that she couldn’t take care of her grandmother any. The way it was portrayed felt realistic.

All in all this was an enjoyable story, and I will definitely read more by Karina Bliss! ( )
  Mikaela_l | Sep 21, 2013 |
Friends to lovers - some serious issues well done although I guessed all of them early. Unhappy with the stalker vibe although the author redeemed it well. Still not ok with it, but will gladly read more from this author.

romsfuulynn | Apr 28, 2013 |

"If Jocelyn Swann weren't so furious, she'd probably laugh. Her best friend, Dan Jansen, has launched a campaign worthy of his Special Forces training to arrange their wedding, from music and minister to flowers and food. What part of no does he not understand? Their marriage "agreement" was a tipsy scrawl on the back of a coaster ... three years ago! It's not a question of love. Of course she loves Dan. She's loved him all her life. If only she could get him to slow down a minute and listen--to be the friend she needs right now--she could convince him that marriage would ruin everything."--Publisher's website.… (more)

Harlequin

2 editions of this book were published by Harlequin.

Editions: 0373716826, 0373784279

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,907,291 books! | Top bar: Always visible