The Greatest Prayer: Rediscovering the…

by John Dominic Crossan (Author)

Celebrates the revolutionary nature of the Lord's prayer, showing that the only prayer Jesus ever taught deserves intense contemplation.
Member:Slabsides
Title:The Greatest Prayer: Rediscovering the Revolutionary Message of the Lord's Prayer
Authors:John Dominic Crossan (Author)
Info:HarperOne (2010), 208 pages

The Greatest Prayer: Rediscovering the Revolutionary Message of the Lord's Prayer by John Dominic Crossan

I like John Dominic Crossan and what he has to say, but I've occasionally thought that he practices a certain "sleight of hand" in reaching his conclusions. I found that true in several places in this book. Take his exegesis of the petition, "lead us not into temptation." His argument is that this plea is SPECIFICALLY to lead us not into the temptation to do violence. Taking various other gospel passages, he demonstrates how Jesus was an advocate of non-violence. That's fair. I myself happen to believe that's true. But then he makes the leap to conclude that the petition in the Lord's Prayer was itself also about non-violence, to the exclusion of all else. I'm not fully convinced that the strength of his argument in one case justified his making that leap. Really--was a temptation to violence ALL Jesus had in mind?

Jesus' proclamation may indeed have been about a Realm of justice and righteousness, with his prayer being an expression of that proclamation. But within that context, I believe it was also meant to hold hope for his followers, rather than merely to narrowly prescriptive. ( )
  kvrfan | Apr 25, 2015 |
A really wonderful meditation on "The Lord's Prayer" filled with history and Biblical exegesis. I find Crossan to be a wonderful historian but occasionally a confusing writer which is unfortunate. Overall, though, I really enjoyed this book. It's a wonderful exploration of the revolutionary power of a prayer most people take for granted. Crossan put it back into its original context and expounds on why the prayer would have been so revolutionary.

I think Crossan could have gone further with his ideas about what the prayer means to us today. There is a lot of overlap of his explanation of the historical understandings of this prayer and christian anarchism which I found to be very interesting. ( )
  shannonkearns | Aug 21, 2011 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,505,573 books! | Top bar: Always visible