The Wee Free Men (Discworld Novels) by Terry…

The Wee Free Men (Discworld Novels) (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

A young witch-to-be named Tiffany teams up with the Wee Free Men, a clan of six-inch-high blue men, to rescue her baby brother and ward off a sinister invasion from Fairyland.
Member:ThomasBrand
Title:The Wee Free Men (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Doubleday Children's Books (2003), Edition: 1st, 320 pages

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (2003)

A Hat Full of Sky by Terry Pratchett (bibliovermis)
    bibliovermis: The sequel. Just as good as the first!
    Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For rising YA readers who like smart mouths and smarter brains, because Polly (age 19) is going to find and rescue her brother. Or else.
    Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (bostonian71)
    Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede (Nikkles)
    The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (midnightblues)
    midnightblues: Well worth reading the full series.
    The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For middle-grade readers interested in fairyland, and the dangers inherent there.
    Coraline by Neil Gaiman (Nikkles)
    Summer in Orcus by T Kingfisher (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For middle-grade readers interested in solitary children and immersive worlds: Because there's a whole horizon in front of Summer (age 11), and it just keeps getting bigger.

English (217)  German (2)  French (1)  Polish (1)  Danish (1)  Dutch (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (226)
The two Pratchett books I read prior to this one had a distinctive tone and style. This one, for the first 100 pages, reminded me of Diana Wynne Jones(who isn't a terrible writer). It was similar in that it started slow and contained interesting, yet hard-to-attach-yourself-to, main characters (a bit lacking in feeling and mentally old for their age) that are thrown into a fantasy world. So my expectations were shattered until Pratchett's voice started to slip back in around page 115 or so.

It's rather impossible to not love the WFM, the toad, and Mrs. Tick. I was of two minds regarding the infrequently reoccurring toilet humor: 1) as a kid you're always asking these things. Because when do detectives with a short time frame find time to use the toilet? But 2) it's really not that amusing to me. So I appreciated the nod to a very valid question. But I'm not sure it was necessary. I would also probably, because of a couple of other jokes, suggest that this be in a teen section. But that's me. ( )
  OutOfTheBestBooks | Sep 24, 2021 |
All right, after two books, I think I can officially call it: Not a big fan of the YA Discworld books. I really didn't like [b:The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents|34534|The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents (Discworld, #28)|Terry Pratchett|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1168566225l/34534._SY75_.jpg|1179689] at all. This one?

Well, I'm glad I liked it more, because I know there's a few more Tiffany Aching books to go. Tiffany herself is okay, but to be fair, had the titular Wee Free Men not been throughout most of this book, it would have been a chore to read.

There's something about a fictional Scots character that's inherently charming. Having had a Glaswegian step-father, I came to learn to love most things Scottish, but none more than the accent. And Pratchett's happily violent, cheerful, wry, hard drinking and hard stealing little men are simply one of his best creations. I love them.

Unfortunately, my biggest beef with this book is, admittedly, a personal pet peeve of mine. If there's one thing I absolutely despise reading about, it's dreams. To me, in a fiction novel, most of the time if you're presented with a dream sequence, you can simply check your brain at the start of the scene, gloss over the words until the sequence ends, and get on with the story again, because the dream part just took up space like a bubble in an Aero bar. They're mostly useless, and I truly don't like them.

Very close to that dislike in ranking, is a plot that revolves around a dream world of some sort. I guess because, once the character realizes they're in a dream, they usually discover that no real rules apply, and they can be and/or do anything. And there's two problems with that:

The first is, as far as I'm concerned, if the main character can be and/or do anything, then really, how can they lose? If the opponent comes at them with knives, they use guns. If the opponent counters with tanks, the hero comes back with hydrogen bombs. If the enemy comes back with a world-killing bomb, the hero throws them into the sun. I mean, honestly, the possibilities are endless. So, where's the suspense?

And second—and to me, the bigger issue—is, the author sets up a situation in a dream, then has the character realize that anything goes, that the characters are limited only by their imagination. And then they all seem to come up with the most mundane things...

And yes, I do know there are good, even great, stories out there involving dreams (Gaiman's Sandman springs immediately to mind), for the most part, I find them awful.

So, yeah, you want me to stop reading, give me something dream-related. And that's my biggest issue with this book. As soon as the dream thing came up, my mouth puckered up like an asshole and I just sighed in resignation at having to push through the rest of the book.

It was okay, Tiffany was fine, the Nac Mac Feegles were hilarious, and the other humour was all right. But the rest? Only okay.

And, having read 28 other books by Pratchett that I absolutely adored, I really hoped for more. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
A Discworld novel, you’ll most likely find this book in the children’s section of your local bookstore, though I’m not sure that’s what Pratchett intended. I don’t think he wrote this book specifically for kids, it just so happens that the main character, Tiffany Aching, the main character of this and four other novels, just happens to be nine. Labeling the book as “for children” might give an adult the idea that the book isn’t for them. This is not the case. One of the magical things about Pratchett’s work is that it’s accessible to so wide an audience.

The plot can be summed up quickly and without giving away much: Tiffany is a girl on the way to discovering she’s a witch, her brother is stolen by the Queen of Fairy, and she must ally herself with the Pictsies (the wee free men of the title) to get him back. On so thin a story, Pratchett is able to countless observations about people; about their dreams, their hopes, fears, and powers. Pratchett is by far one of the most humane and generous writers I’ve ever encountered (while still very cognizant of their foibles and shortcomings). It was a pleasure to lose myself in Tiffany’s corner of the Discworld, and I’ll be reading more of her adventures.

As a bonus, my nine-year-old son is a big fan of witches and I’ve already started reading the book aloud to him, which is another kind of joy altogether. ( )
  adamgallardo | Aug 11, 2021 |
Open your eyes and then open your eyes again.

The Wee Free Men is a wonderful book. It's the Witches again, done YA this time around. It follows the story of Tiffany Aching--young witch to be--as she begins to discovers her powers and finds that the world may be just a bit more complicated than she (or the adults around her) thinks it is.

Tiffany is a great character. She's smart and strong and willing to do what has to be done. She's young enough that she can still believe (which is handy even in a world where magic) yet still has a tendency to look up things she doesn't understand and approach problems logically. She'd make an excellent role model for young girls. I'll have to remember that in a few years.

The Wee Free Men are pretty hilarious as well. I'm glad I listened to them in audiobook form. They're still a bit of fun trying to figure out what in the world they're saying. They're refreshingly straight forward and just need a bit of a guiding hand to be forces for good in the world.

Overall, it's a great book and a great subseries which which to finish my Discworld journey. If you're just now starting out, especially if you're a younger reader, it works just as well as an introduction to the world as well. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |

Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Player, StephenIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Some things start before other things.
No wonder we dream our way through our lives. To be awake, and see it all as it really is ... no one could stand that for long.
Now ... if you trust in yourself ... and believe in your dreams ... and follow your star ... you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.
“Yes! I'm me! I am careful and logical and I look up things I don't understand! When I hear people use the wrong words, I get edgy! I am good with cheese. I read books fast! I think! And I always have a piece of string! That's the kind of person I am!”
“Zoology, eh? That's a big word, isn't it."

"No, actually it isn't," said Tiffany. "Patronizing is a big word. Zoology is really quite short.”

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,431,514 books! | Top bar: Always visible