Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents:…

Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents: Discworld Novel 28 (Discworld… (original 2001; edition 2013)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

Member:NottinghamHackspace
Title:Amazing Maurice & His Educated Rodents: Discworld Novel 28 (Discworld Novels)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Corgi (2013), Edition: New Ed, 320 pages
Collections:British Fiction

The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett (2001)

English (96)  Finnish (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (102)
The Pied Piper, Discworld style, i.e. from the viewpoint of the rats (and a talking cat named Maurice. Because of course.) Fun and silly and with interesting characters, as per usual. ( )
  electrascaife | May 11, 2019 |
I always do this with Pratchett books, I want them to last me a couple bus rides, but as soon as I get started I can never put them down when I get home.

This was one of the earlier books of Pratchett's I'd read, but I'd forgotten how dark it was. This book is certainly meant for a younger audience but it is a lot more serious than most of Pratchett's "adult" novels.

I was particularly disturbed by the Rat King, dear God, what the hell.

All of that misery and death however, is balanced by what should have been one-note jokes but sustained themselves throughout - for example, the rats' names:

"And you are?"

"Delicious."

Malicia's fascination with plot devices and story archetypes, the stupid-looking kid, it's all brilliant stuff. The Mr. Bunnsy quotes were pretty effective at tying together the chapters, an unusual Pratchett device in themselves.

Overall, a great addition to the books, at first I was a little unsure about reading the juveniles alongside the rest of the Discworld books, but 'The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents' is a worthy addition.

Discworld

Next: 'Night Watch'

Previous: 'The Last Hero' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
I liked the witty telling of this story. ( )
  StarKnits | Feb 6, 2019 |
Well, that was fun, but less fun than I've had with most other Pratchett books, I think? It's about average for him, at most, which still makes this a very good book. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
Witty, wacky, a smart fantasy for readers who enjoy British humor like Douglas Adams or a sense of the absurd like Neil Gaiman. ( )
  msmilton | Jul 18, 2018 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gall, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyatt, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zarycky, HilaryCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To D'niece, for the right book at the right time
One day, when he was naughty, Mr. Bunnsy looked over the hedge into Farmer Fred's field and say it was full of fresh green lettuces. Mr. Bunnsy, however, was not full of lettuces. This did not seem fair.
- From Mr. Bunnsy Has an Adventure
You can always trust a cat to be a cat.
Right up until the time he pounced, Maurice looked like a sleek killing machine.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060012358, Mass Market Paperback)

Winner of the 2001 Carnegie Medal

One rat, popping up here and there, squeaking loudly, and taking a bath in the cream, could be a plague all by himself. After a few days of this, it was amazing how glad people were to see the kid with his magical rat pipe. And they were amazing when the rats followed hint out of town.

They'd have been really amazed if they'd ever found out that the rats and the piper met up with a cat somewhere outside of town and solemnly counted out the money.

The Amazing Maurice runs the perfect Pied Piper scam. This streetwise alley cat knows the value of cold, hard cash and can talk his way into and out of anything. But when Maurice and his cohorts decide to con the town of Bad Blinitz, it will take more than fast talking to survive the danger that awaits. For this is a town where food is scarce and rats are hated, where cellars are lined with deadly traps, and where a terrifying evil lurks beneath the hunger-stricken streets....

Set in Terry Pratchett's widely popular Discworld, this masterfully crafted, gripping read is both compelling and funny. When one of the world's most acclaimed fantasy writers turns a classic fairy tale on its head, no one will ever look at the Pied Piper -- or rats -- the same way again!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

A talking cat, intelligent rats, and a strange boy cooperate in a Pied Piper scam until they try to con the wrong town and are confronted by a deadly evil rat king.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible