Eric (1990)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Rincewind (4), Discworld (09)

Discworld's only demonology hacker, Eric, is about to make life very difficult for the rest of Ankh-Morpork's denizens. This would-be Faust is very bad ... at his work, that is. All he wants is to fulfill three little wishes: to live forever, to be master of the universe, and to have a stylin' hot babe. But Eric isn't even good at getting his own way. Instead of a powerful demon, he conjures, well, Rincewind, a wizard whose incompetence is matched only by Eric's. And as if that wasn't bad enough, that lovable travel accessory the Luggage has arrived, too. Accompanied by his best friends, there's only one thing Eric wishes now - that he'd never been born!… (more)
    The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (jpers36)
    The Infernals by John Connolly (JanesList)
    JanesList: Both of these books have interesting portrayals of Hell.

English (123)  Italian (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  Polish (1)  All languages (131)
39. Eric by Terry Pratchett
OPD: 1990
format: 148-page mass market paperback
acquired: library loan read: Jun 14-dd time reading: 3:38, 1.5 mpp
rating: 4
genre/style: Fantasy/humor theme: TBR
locations: Discworld
about the author: 1948-2015. An English author, humorist, and satirist, best known for his 41 comic fantasy novels set on the Discworld, and for the apocalyptic comedy novel Good Omens, which he wrote with Neil Gaiman. Born in Beaconsfield in Buckinghamshire, England.

This is a short book and a nice quick reminder that I still like this stuff. Part of the Rincewind series, the magician finds himself pre-pubescent Eric's conjured demon, doing Eric's wishes. The demons themselves are very upset about this, at least the head demon is. The Luggage isn't too happy either. Pratchett takes on Dante, Goethe, Aztecs, Homer, and the beginning and end of time, care of Rincewind and the Luggage. Fun stuff.

2024
https://www.librarything.com/topic/360386#8566024 ( )
  dchaikin | Jun 26, 2024 |
Young Eric has summoned a demon and finds himself facing Rincewind and the Luggage. But to his good luck, Rincewind snaps his fingers and finds himself granting wishes. Live forever, be the ultimate ruler of the universe, meet the most beautiful woman in the world. But having your wishes granted isn't exactly all it's cracked up to be. As Eric quickly learns... ( )
  elorin | Feb 16, 2024 |
And so we have another Rincewind story, a novella really, riffing off other stories and legends (Faust, genies, the Trojan war), with plenty of humour, but feeling slight in terms of content.
Worth a reread, but one of the minor Discworld volumes. ( )
  CarltonC | Dec 6, 2023 |
A nice little amuse-bouche of Pratchett, with some of my favourite characters: DEATH, Rincewind, the luggage…
Eric is a demon summoner who doesn’t quite get the gist of the situation. He summons Rincewind, and things go much as expected.
Some quite hilarious moments involving a god, a misled devil, and way too many situations.
I do like a book that makes me laugh out loud in delighted surprise. This is one. Shorter than Pratchett’s usual books, it makes a nice break from reading serious things. I loved it. ( )
  Dabble58 | Nov 11, 2023 |
I have never read Faust, I don't really even know what it is about, so I may have missed a lot of references. Even so, this story was fairly amusing, but honestly not much else. ( )
  bramboomen | Oct 18, 2023 |

Serafinowicz, PeterNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
[None]
The bees of Death are big and black, they buzz low and somber, they keep their honey in combs of wax as white as altar candles.
No enemies had ever taken Ankh-Morpork. Well technically they had, quite often; the city welcomed free-spending barbarian invaders, but somehow the puzzled raiders found, after a few days, that they didn't own their horses any more, and within a couple of months they were just another minority group with its own graffiti and food shops.
It was true about the time measurement as well. The Tezumen had realized long ago that everything was steadily getting worse and, having a terrible little-mindedness, had developed a complex system to keep track of how much worse each succeeding day was.
- "There's a door"
- "Where does it go?"
- "It stays where it is, I think."
- "So we're surrounded by absolutely nothing. There's a word for it. It's what you get when there's nothing left and everything's been used up."
- "Yes. I think it's called the bill."
- "What're quantum mechanics?"
- "I don't know. People who repair quantums, I suppose."
The title is sometimes rendered as Faust Eric.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,617,585 books! | Top bar: Always visible