Maskerade (Discworld, #18) by Terry…

Maskerade (Discworld, #18) (original 1995; edition 1995)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

Series: Discworld: Witches (5), Discworld (18)

The Ghost in the bone-white mask who haunts the Ankh-Morpork Opera House was always considered a benign presence -- some would even say lucky -- until he started killing people. The sudden rash of bizarre backstage deaths now threatens to mar the operatic debut of country girl Perdita X. (née Agnes) Nitt, she of the ample body and ampler voice. Perdita's expected to hide in the chorus and sing arias out loud while a more petitely presentable soprano mouths the notes. But at least it's an escape from scheming Nanny Ogg and old Granny Weatherwax back home, who want her to join their witchy ranks. Once Granny sets her mind on something, however, it's difficult -- and often hazardous -- to dissuade her. And no opera-prowling phantom fiend is going to keep a pair of determined hags down on the farm after they've seen Ankh-Morpork.… (more)
Member:imlee
Title:Maskerade (Discworld, #18)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Victor Gollancz (1995), Edition: First Edition, 285 pages
Collections:Your library, Physical, Audiobooks
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, lee-read, im-unread, fantasy & sci-fi

Maskerade by Terry Pratchett (1995)

English (91)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Polish (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (99)
Eh. I might just not *get* witches Discworld. ( )
  Raykoda3 | Sep 25, 2020 |
Got stuck with another book, so decided it was time to read something a bit lighter. Flew through this, as is often the case for me with Discworld novels. The witches are perhaps my favourite Discworld regular characters, and the opera parodies definitely made me chuckle. ( )
  misterebby | Jul 5, 2020 |
Another enjoyable romp of an outing for Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg as they go to Ankh-Morpork, where Agnes Nitt (who should be the third witch in the Ramtops) has joined the opera.
With cameos from Corporal the Count de Nobby Nobbs, Count de Tritus and the Librarian. ( )
  CarltonC | Jun 13, 2020 |
Phantom of the Opera!

With the Witches!

WHAT COULD GO WRONG?

Well, obviously, anything. This is Opera and the Show Must Go On! With or without Greebo in the mix. :)

Quite fun because I love the Phantom of the Opera and I love the Witches, but am I a fan of Anges?

Nah. Not really. I keep wanting a certain Tiffany to join the stage. Patience, patience.
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
LOL FAT PEOPLE ARE FUNNY. BECAUSE THEY'RE FAT, SEE. AND THEY EAT A LOT. LOL LOL LOL. ( )
  thewanlorn | Feb 24, 2020 |

Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

[None]
My thanks to the people who showed me that opera was stranger than I could imagine. I can best repay their kindness by not mentioning their names here.
The wind howled.
'Well, basically there are two sorts of opera,' said Nanny, who also had the true witch's ability to be confidently expert on the basis of no experience whatsoever. 'There's your heavy opera, where basically people sing foreign and it goes like "Oh oh oh, I am dyin', oh, I am dyin', oh, oh, oh, that's what I'm doin'", and there's your light opera, where they sing in foreign and it basically goes "Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! I like to drink lots of beer!", although sometimes they drink champagne instead. That's basically all of opera, reely.'
The singers all loathe the sight of one another, the chorus despises the singers, they both hate the orchestra, and everyone fears the conductor; the staff on one prompt side won't talk to the staff on the opposite prompt side, the dancers are all crazed from hunger in any case...
Greebo could, in fact, commit sexual harassment simply by sitting very quietly in the next room.

Im Opernhaus von Ankh-Morpork huschen maskierte Gestalten durch die Kulissen und führen Niederträchtiges im Schilde. Zwei alte Damen beobachten den Kronleuchter und murmeln dazu Sätze wie: "Da wartet ein Unglück darauf, daß es passiert ..." Ja, Oma Wetterwachs und Nanny Ogg, die größten Hexen der Scheibenwelt, haben ihren Auftritt.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,884,224 books! | Top bar: Always visible