Der Zeitdieb. by Terry Pratchett
In Discworld, time is a resource managed by the highly capable Monks of History. Everybody wants more time, which is why on Discworld only the experts can manage it. While everyone always talks about slowing down, one young horologist is about to do the unthinkable. He's going to stop. Well, stop time that is, by building the world's first truly accurate clock. Which means esteemed History Monk Lu-Tze and his apprentice Lobsang Ludd have to put on some speed to stop the timepiece before it starts. For if the perfect clock starts ticking, time, as we know it, will end. And then the trouble will really begin.… (more)
Member:Jisi
Title:Der Zeitdieb.
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Goldmann Wilhelm GmbH (2003), Paperback

Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

English (81)  German (4)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (89)
Time falls in love with a human, and there is a child. And then The Auditors get involved and things start going pear-shaped. This is one of my favorite of the Discworld books so far: Death (my favorite character) gets a lot of page time, Miss Susan and Nanny Ogg to a crossover bit (I love a good crossover, dontchaknow), and the very last sentence made me close the book, sit back, and smile for a long happy minute. That's always a pretty good sign, really. ( )
  electrascaife | Apr 14, 2019 |
Stephen Briggs is my favorite reader of the Terry Pratchett books. He does a fabulous job! This is one of the most brain teasing of Pratchett's books. Just close enough to reality to make one try to make logical sense of this wild world. We got a lot of laughs and stored up some great quotes. Quite the page turner! Very hard to put down! ( )
  njcur | Feb 19, 2019 |
This was another of the Discworld novels I read before my years-spanning idea to read the entire series in publishing order.

'Thief of Time' is one of the better additions to the series: the character of Jeremy Clockson is hilarious: "I know the difference between reality and made-up, I have medicine," and Susan Sto-Helit is fleshed out as more than a darkly sensible Mary Poppins and, having studied as a historian, I love the History Monks.

Pratchett, as always, keeps things light and fun but always manages to get one thinking.

Discworld

Next: 'The Last Hero'

Previous: 'The Truth' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
A young clockmaker is building the perfect timepiece, not realising that it will trap Time and end the world as we know it. A young apprentice History Monk is trying to stop him, with the help of Susan, granddaughter of Death (adopted). As usual, both funny and exciting. ( )
  Griffin22 | Dec 18, 2018 |
EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS, STAYS HAPPENED.

"What kind of philosophy is that?"

THE ONLY ONE THAT WORKS.

Thief of Time is the fifth and final book in the Death sub-series and the 26th Discworld book in published order. I think I have found my favorite Death book though it really features Susan more than Death himself. This is also a hard plot to summarize. I'll do my best.

The world is scheduled to end next Wednesday. Humanity is messy and the Auditors of Reality hate messy. It's time to tidy things up again. To do this they've hired Jeremy Clockson to build the world's first truly accurate clock. Once it starts it will stop time, making life more predictable and the paperwork much easier. Death gets a sense their plot and, while he cannot interfere directly, he volunteers his granddaughter Susan to look into the issue. Meanwhile, something is up with the Mandala of the Monks of History. It's showing ripples in reality and the Procrastinators are starting to spin hot on their spindles. The monks send out Sweeper Lu-Tze and his apprentice to save time... if there's any time left.

I am truly impressed at how complicated this story was and how well it's pulled off. Part philosophical tract, part kung-fu epic, part apocalyptic crisis, a very subtle love story and a heavy dose of chocolate all wrapped in Pratchett's trademark style. There's even a supporting Igor! The storytelling is excellent. The three main story threads blend nicely into the greater narrative, something that wasn't always as successful in earlier books. It's a more serious entry, which may not be to the taste of those who prefer the sillier side of Discworld. ( )
  Narilka | Sep 15, 2018 |

Kidd, ChipCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Parri, DyfrigTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rudnicki, StefanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
According to the First Scroll of Wen the Eternally Surprised, Wen stepped out of the cave where he had received enlightenment and into the dawning light of the first day of the rest of his life.
Sometimes thinking is like talking to another person, but that person is also you.
Nine-tenths of the universe, in fact, is the paperwork.
This is the main work for Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett. It is not the same work as Tony Hillerman's book of the same name.

Time is a resource. Everyone knows it has to be managed.

And on the Discworld that is the job of the Monks of History, who store it and pump it from the places where it's wasted (like the underwater - how much time does a codfish need?) to places like cities, where there's never enough time.

But the construction of the world's first truly accurate clock starts a race against, well, time for Lu Tze and his apprentice Lobsang Ludd. Because it will stop time. And that will only be the start of everyone's problems.

THIEF OF TIME comes complete with a full supporting cast of heroes, villains, yetis, martial artists and Ronnie, the fifth Horseman of the Apocalypse (who left before they became famous).

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,107 books! | Top bar: Always visible