Thud! by Terry Pratchett

Thud! (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Terry Pratchett

7,420106472 (4.13)189
Member:Rothfaust
Title:Thud!
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 416 pages

Thud! by Terry Pratchett (2005)

English (104)  German (1)  Finnish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (107)
I love Thud!. It’s one of my favorite Discworld novels, right up there with Night Watch. However, it is the seventh Discworld novel following Vimes, so you’d be better off starting with Guards! Guards! if you haven’t read the rest of his arc. Or if you’re more generally wanting an introduction to the Discworld, you could try a stand alone novel such as Going Postal, Monstrous Regiment, or Small Gods.

Koom Valley is a historic battle between the trolls and the dwarfs, and it is the key point of the conflict between them. As the anniversary draws near, it looks like Koom Valley might break out all over again, this time in Ankh-Morpork due to the murder of a rabble rousing dwarf. It’s up to Vimes to solve the crime before the city collapses into conflict.

At it’s heart, Thud! is a novel about not giving into hatred and the darkness inside yourself. It’s one of the darker Discworld novels, which makes me love it all the more.

“You can’t call yourself a good guy and then do bad guy things.”

Sam Vimes continues to be my favorite protagonist. He’s filled with anger, but he knows better than to let it out. He’s always watching himself, guarding against the darkness inside him.

The cast of secondary characters is also wonderful. I particularly adore Angua, the werewolf watchwomen. A subplot of Thud! is the addition of a vampire to the watch, and Angua dealing with her instinctual dislike of vampires and coming to grudgingly have some respect for Sally.

“I’ve never been on a girls’ night out before,” said Cheery as they walked, a little uncertainly through the nighttime city. “Was that last bit supposed to happen?”
“What bit was that?” said Sally.
“The bit where the bar was set on fire.”

Additionally, Thud! contains a few hilarious scenes regarding art and artists. If you know anything about me, you can guess how much I love these. In particular, Pratchett touches on the tricky question of how to define art.

“He knew in his heart that spinning upside down around a pole wearing a costume you could floss with definitely was not Art, and that being painted lying on a bed wearing nothing but a smile and a small bunch of grapes was good solid Art, but putting your finger on why this was the case was a bit tricky.”

As typical with later Discworld novels, Thud! is more plot focused and tightly woven while retaining the warmth and hilarity I associate with Discworld. I don’t know how much else I can rave about this book and this series. I highly recommend them.

Originally posted on The Illustrated Page. ( )
  pwaites | Jul 25, 2015 |
After reading everything up until Monstrous Regiment, I took a number of years off from reading Pratchett after picking up (the awful) Making Money and realising I was in danger of scuppering my fond memory of him.

After Pratchett's sad passing earlier in 2015, I put down everything else I was reading (sorry Hugo) and picked up Thud. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I loved it. It doesn't hit all the highs of his golden era, and is a little didactic in places - in fact I would probably class it as one of the lesser Discworld novels - but it speaks to his talent that it's still a magical read. Not enough nice things can be said about that man. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | May 7, 2015 |
DESCRIPTION FROM FLAP
Commander Sam Vimes of the Ankh-Morpork City Watch admits he may not be the sharpest knife in the cutlery drawer - he may ot even be a spoon. But he's dogged and honest and he'll be damned if he lets anyone disturb his city's always-tentative peace - and that includes a rabble-rousing dwarf from the sticks (or deep beneath them) who's been stirring up big trouble on the eve of the anniversary of one of Discworld's most infamous historical events.

Centuries earlier, in a gods-forsaken hellhole called Koom Valley, a horde of trolls met a division of dwarfs in bloody combat. Though nobody's quite sure why they fought or who actually won, hundreds of years on each species still bears the cultural scars, and one views the other with simmering animosity and distrust. Lately, an influential dwarf, Grag Hamcrusher, has been fomenting unrest among Ankh-Morpork's more diminutive citizens with incendiary speeches. And it doesn't help matters when the pintsized provocateur is discovered beaten to death...with a troll club lying conveniently nearby.

Vimes knows the well-being of his smoldering city depends on his ability to solve the Hamcrusher homicide without delay. (Vimes's secondmost-pressing responsiblity, in fact, next to being home every evening at six sharp to read Where's My Cow to Young Sam.) Whatever it takes to unstick this very sticky situation, Vimes will do it - even tolerate having a vampire in the Watch. But there's more than one corpse waiting for him in the eerie, summoning darkness of the vast, labyrinthine mine network the dwarfs have been excavating in secret beneath Ankh Morpork's streets. A deadly puzzle is pulling Sam Vimes deep into the muck and mire of superstition, hatred, and fear - and perhaps all the way to Koom Valley itself.

My Commments
I enjoyed this book, although it took me a bit to get into it (I didn't read it in less than one day, I'd had it sitting around half read for a while and just finished it). The last half was better than the first half, though. Or maybe I was just less tired. But by the end, this book was quite enjoyable. The books on the Night Watch seem to be my favorite of the Discworld books I've read. I like Vimes and especially Carrot, and the quirky humor is exactly the type I enjoy.

I think my favorite thing about the series, though, is how Pratchett has created a fantastical world that parallels our own, and through this series can poignantly illustrate the absurdities of our lives. The hatred between Dwarfs and Trolls discussed in this book could be allegorical to so many real conflicts of the sort in our world today - conflicts so old that even those involved have forgotten the original reasons for them.

All in all, a brilliantly done book. Very enjoyable. ( )
  sammii507 | Aug 19, 2014 |
Fairly funny - if not his funniest. Humane as ever. The Discworld is always interesting and funny. ( )
  jerhogan | Jun 10, 2014 |
Typically good Sam Vimes Discworld story, although it was made slightly confusing by the interludes of the Dark. ( )
  rlangston | Jun 1, 2014 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Briggs, StephenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kidby, PaulCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leitch, MauriceProducer & directorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Matthews, RobinAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattlin, SharonMixed & masteredsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McKowen, ScottCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has as a reference guide/companion

Him who mountain crush him no
Him who sun him stop him no
Him who hammer him break him no
Him who fire him fear him no
Him who raise him head above him heart
Him diamond

- Translation of troll pictograms found carved on a basalt slab in the deepest level of the Ankh-Morpork treacle mines, in pig-treacle measures estimated at 500,000 years old.
The first thing Tak did, he wrote himself.
Koom Valley? That was where the trolls ambushed the dwarfs, or the dwarfs ambushed the trolls. It was far away. It was a long time ago.

But if he doesn’t solve the murder of just one dwarf, Commander Sam Vimes of Ankh-Morpork City Watch is going to see it fought again, right outside his office.

With his beloved Watch crumbling around him and war-drums sounding, he must unravel every clue, outwit every assassin and brave any darkness to find the solution. And darkness is following him.

Oh . . . and at six o’clock every day, without fail, with no excuses, he must go home to read ‘Where’s My Cow?’, with all the right farmyard noises, to his little boy.

There are some things you have to do.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060815310, Mass Market Paperback)

Once, in a gods-forsaken hellhole called Koom Valley, trolls and dwarfs met in bloody combat. Centuries later, each species still views the other with simmering animosity. Lately, the influential dwarf, Grag Hamcrusher, has been fomenting unrest among Ankh-Morpork's more diminutive citizens—a volatile situation made far worse when the pint-size provocateur is discovered bashed to death . . . with a troll club lying conveniently nearby.

Commander Sam Vimes of the City Watch is aware of the importance of solving the Hamcrusher homicide without delay. (Vimes's second most-pressing responsibility, in fact, next to always being home at six p.m. sharp to read Where's My Cow? to Sam, Jr.) But more than one corpse is waiting for Vimes in the eerie, summoning darkness of a labyrinthine mine network being secretly excavated beneath Ankh-Morpork's streets. And the deadly puzzle is pulling him deep into the muck and mire of superstition, hatred, and fear—and perhaps all the way to Koom Valley itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:53 -0400)

Once, in a gods-forsaken hellhole called Koom Valley, trolls and dwarfs met in bloody combat. Centuries later, each species still views the other with simmering animosity. Lately, the influential dwarf, Grag Hamcrusher, has been fomenting unrest among Ankh-Morpork's more diminutive citizens--a volatile situation made far worse when the pint-size provocateur is discovered bashed to death ... with a troll club lying conveniently nearby. Commander Sam Vimes of the City Watch is aware of the importance of solving the Hamcrusher homicide without delay. (Vimes's second most-pressing responsibility, in fact, next to always being home at six p.m. sharp to read Where's My Cow? to Sam, Jr.) But more than one corpse is waiting for Vimes in the eerie, summoning darkness of a labyrinthine mine network being secretly excavated beneath Ankh-Morpork's streets. And the deadly puzzle is pulling him deep into the muck and mire of superstition, hatred, and fear--and perhaps all the way to Koom Valley itself.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,140,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible