Helle Barden. Ein Roman von der bizarren…

Helle Barden. Ein Roman von der bizarren Scheibenwelt. (original 1993; edition 1996)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

'Be a MAN in the City Watch! The City Watch needs MEN!' But what it's got includes Corporal Carrot (technically a dwarf), Lance-constable Cuddy (really a dwarf), Lance constable Detritus (a troll), Lance constable Angua (a woman... most of the time) and Corporal Nobbs (disqualified from the human race for shoving). And they need all the help they can get. Because they've only got twenty-four hours to clean up the town and this is Ankh-Morpork we're talking about...… (more)
Member:Gustav.Schreiber
Title:Helle Barden. Ein Roman von der bizarren Scheibenwelt.
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Goldmann (1996)

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett (1993)

English (80)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (85)
The U.S. Harper edition of the first City Watch novel gave away something important on its back cover; this one does in its cover image, I reckon, letting me put some clues together more quickly than I reckon Pratchett intended. But it's hard to not look at the front cover!

Despite that, this was another enjoyable book. The Night Watch is expanding, and for affirmative action reasons, that means nonhumans are being recruited: dwarves, trolls, werewolves. Meanwhile, Captain Vimes is getting married and will have to step down as head of the Watch (it's too plebeian a position for one about to join the patrician classes).

It's funny, but it's also touching. There's a lot of good jokes about trolls, but also an unexpected death. There's also some pointed stuff about the seductive power of violence. I think this was less focused plot-wise than Guards! Guards! but also more honed character- and theme-wise; Pratchett was converging toward what he really wanted to do with this series, step by step.
  Stevil2001 | Jan 3, 2020 |
The best word to describe this book is 'amusing'. It has its funny parts, its crazy parts and one of the most quoted sections I've seen from a Pratchett book, the Vimes Boots Economic Theory. The story is about a series of murders of high profile people happening by an unusual weapon in the city.. a gun. The Nights Watch must race to find the murderer before the entire city erupts into violence.

This is the second book in the Nights Watch series, which is within the Discworld series.

Books to read before this: "Guards! Guards!" ( )
  nmorse | Dec 3, 2019 |
One of Pratchett's better Discworld novels, with themes relevant to modern issues and above-average characterizations. ( )
  G-Morrison | Nov 18, 2019 |
The one where he really gets his guards groove on. While Night Watch will always be my fave, this is a really great story. ( )
  cupiscent | Aug 3, 2019 |
Another great book by Pratchett in the Discworld. I really enjoy the Nightwatch books. Carrot had one of my favorite scenes so far in the entire series. When he barges into the fools building and asks to see the hole, facing off the top clown. "If you don't do what I ask I will have to follow my orders I was given outside"... awesome!! ( )
  readafew | Jun 26, 2019 |
Though dotted with good and bad jokes Men at Arms isn't as purely funny as some of the series' earlier installments. Racial prejudice and gun control elicit some uncomfortably close-to-the-bone satire, while the search for the killer and his weapon is almost too gripping. By all means, give Pratchett a try, though you might want to start with, say, The Color of Magic or Guards! Guards! These books can sometimes be hard to find, even in paperback, but they repay any effort expended. I keep my copies on the shelf next to P.G. Wodehouse and Donald Westlake.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Michael Dirda (pay site) (Apr 28, 1996)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corporal Carrot, Ankh-Morpork City Guard (Night Watch), sat down in his nightshirt, took up his pencil, sucked the end for a moment, and then wrote: 'Dearest Mume and Dad, Well here is another fine Turnup for the Books, for I have been made Corporal!!
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,325,653 books! | Top bar: Always visible