Men at Arms (Discworld, #15) by Terry…

Men at Arms (Discworld, #15) (original 1993; edition 1994)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

'Be a MAN in the City Watch! The City Watch needs MEN!' But what it's got includes Corporal Carrot (technically a dwarf), Lance-constable Cuddy (really a dwarf), Lance constable Detritus (a troll), Lance constable Angua (a woman... most of the time) and Corporal Nobbs (disqualified from the human race for shoving). And they need all the help they can get. Because they've only got twenty-four hours to clean up the town and this is Ankh-Morpork we're talking about...… (more)
Member:imlee
Title:Men at Arms (Discworld, #15)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Corgi (1994), Edition: New Ed, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Physical, Audiobooks
Tags:fiction, lee-read, im-unread, fantasy & sci-fi

Men at Arms by Terry Pratchett (1993)

English (86)  Polish (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (91)
Gaspode! ( )
  Jessica_Olin | Sep 17, 2020 |
This is the first Pratchett novel I read. This novel is why I'm addicted to Pratchett! It's still my favorite of the Discworld series. ( )
  johnthelibrarian | Aug 11, 2020 |
I'm a sucker for police tropes and this hit all of them the only the way Terry Pratchett can. ( )
  jblopez | Jul 31, 2020 |
Even better fun. ( )
  IridescenceDeep | Jun 28, 2020 |
Discworld Re-Read project #15. :)

I remembered that there was one particular Watch novel that lunged the entire Watch novels out of the stratosphere in terms of how much I grew to LOVE them. I had forgotten that THIS was that novel.

Vimes was great, but who really stole the show was Carrot. I'll love Vimes a lot more in the future, but for now, Carrot is KING.

Or not. That's a matter of perception and some small debate, all of which Carrot himself will probably have the right precedent and moral outlook and word to set right.

Other than that, this novel deals with racial prejudice in a big way. Trolls and Dwarves are at each other's throats. And then the Assassin's guild is deep in the muck thanks to a little theft and ideology. And then there's Gaspode.

I don't think there's any part of the novel I disliked. At all. Wolves and dogs and romance and bringing back the old monarchy kinda reverberated with a previous novel, of course, but I didn't mind. This was a different kind of beast. This time there was rioting in the streets rather than dragons. :)

Too cool. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Though dotted with good and bad jokes Men at Arms isn't as purely funny as some of the series' earlier installments. Racial prejudice and gun control elicit some uncomfortably close-to-the-bone satire, while the search for the killer and his weapon is almost too gripping. By all means, give Pratchett a try, though you might want to start with, say, The Color of Magic or Guards! Guards! These books can sometimes be hard to find, even in paperback, but they repay any effort expended. I keep my copies on the shelf next to P.G. Wodehouse and Donald Westlake.
added by Shortride | editThe Washington Post, Michael Dirda (pay site) (Apr 28, 1996)

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pieretti, AntonellaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Corporal Carrot, Ankh-Morpork City Guard (Night Watch), sat down in his nightshirt, took up his pencil, sucked the end for a moment, and then wrote: 'Dearest Mume and Dad, Well here is another fine Turnup for the Books, for I have been made Corporal!!
Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,705,571 books! | Top bar: Always visible