Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything (2011)

by Joshua Foer

Series: Van der Leeuw-lezing (2011)

Having achieved the seemingly unachievable-- becoming a U.S. Memory Champion-- Foer shows how anyone with enough training and determination can achieve mastery of their memory.

English (111)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (114)
Moonwalking with Einstein a memoir about the Foer's dive into the world of competitive memory competitions. Centering on the methods that these contestants used to visualize incredibly long lists of words or three shuffled decks of playing cards, etc. and then repeat them back in timed competitions. The author himself found this so intriguing that he took a year or more to train himself and become a contestant in a major competition. Near the end of the book that these training methods are mostly useless to those of us who just wish to better our memories. Theses are really only suited to competitions. The usefulness of keeping facts and dates in our brain is of some use for sure but a pencil and paperwork just fine for me. Honestly, I can't remember why I had this book on my shelf. Ironic that. ( )
1 vote stretch | Aug 15, 2020 |
An insightful read that I'd imagine any psych major would have already been familiar with the mnemonic arts. Luckily I didn't know any of this! The author writes about his experience training to become a memory champion and details the how-tos and some historical and scientific background throughout - he strikes a nice balance and keeps the book fairly concise. I wish there were more scientific background on the fmri stuff, but I'll just have to find it myself. Take home messages were to be mindful, to become good at something it takes very deliberate, technique driven practice - never go into autopilot (autonomous) stage of learning and force yourself to be cognizant of what you're doing. Memory in practice will be employed on remembering people ( associate the sound of the name with crazy images) and maybe learn the standard number memorization method. ( )
  bsmashers | Aug 1, 2020 |
I would tell you all the reasons I wasn't overly impressed with this book, but I have forgotten the reasons. Just kidding, it was a decent book, but it certainly dragged on.

I personally would only suggest this book to people who have never read another book on memory or memory competitions before. If you have read other memory related books, this one could be a bit of a snooze. ( )
  Derek3 | Jun 17, 2020 |
Fascinating book about the methods used to train for memory championships. The guy covered it for a publication one year and won it the next! ( )
  PDCRead | Apr 6, 2020 |
Loved this book. It helped me understand and be kind to my mind, and find ways to really improve my memory in certain areas.

Reminded me a lot of Stephan Fatsis "Word Freaks" as it features a similar group of notable, slightly off-beat characters engaged in the pursuit of mental perfection, even as their interpersonal relationships are often lacking or non-existent.

I especially liked the historical overview of written vs. oral transmission of facts and dates.

The one element of the book that made me a wee bit uncomfortable was his questioning of the legitimacy of Daniel Tammet, author of Born on a Blue Day. I so want to believe he is legitimate.

Gittel | Jan 7, 2020 |

Joshua Foerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chamberlain, MikeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christensen, IngeborgTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rahn-Huber, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwart, JannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dinah: Everything
There were no other survivors.

Contents:

The smartest man is hard to find -- The man who remembered too much -- The expert expert -- The most forgetful man in the world -- The memory palace -- How to memorize a poem -- The end of remembering -- The ok plateau -- The talented tenth -- The little rain man in all of us -- The US memory championships.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1846140293, 0141032138

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,805,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible