Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and…

Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Joshua Foer (Author)

Having achieved the seemingly unachievable-- becoming a U.S. Memory Champion-- Foer shows how anyone with enough training and determination can achieve mastery of their memory.
Member:aynar
Title:Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything
Authors:Joshua Foer (Author)
Info:Penguin Books (2012), Edition: Reprint, 307 pages
Collections:Wishlist

Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything by Joshua Foer (2011)

English (109)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (112)
I thought it was pretty inconsistent, between the interesting medical anomalies and the less-compelling "training" vignettes. There were some excellent passages and quotes, but ultimately I was more than ready to finish it by the conclusion. ( )
  Brandon_Smith | Sep 14, 2019 |
Mildly interesting - there was a lot about the memory championships and about the standard memory palace methods, enough to try it if you wanted to. However, I found the methods very inappropriate for me - a) for men (put in sexy women to remember better!) and b) for people who can remember faces (use lots of actors/actresses. I can recognize very few "famous" people...). That's purely personal, but when four or five chapters are discussing these methods in detail, it makes the book rather dull. Then he veered off from the pure memory palaces and started discussing _why_ bother to improve memory, and the book became far more interesting - to improve memory, improve perception, which improves your life - no gliding through without paying attention to things. It did end with competition, but more about the people than the methods there. I'm amused that he got as far as he did (which he explicitly mentions) mostly because of others' errors. I found the philosophy more interesting than the how-to, but overall I'm glad I read the book. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Jun 3, 2019 |
I thoroughly enjoyed Joshua Foer's tale of his trip to the US Memory Championship, what he discovered about remembering everything, and his opinions on the usefulness of memory skills in today's society where most memories are externalized. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Nov 19, 2018 |
Recommended by Amazon.
  ValNewHope | Aug 5, 2018 |
Interesting explanation of memory and how to make yours better. And it works. ( )
  DanDiercks | Jun 18, 2018 |

Joshua Foerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chamberlain, MikeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Christensen, IngeborgTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rahn-Huber, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zwart, JannekeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Dinah: Everything
There were no other survivors.
Information from the Estonian Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

Contents:

The smartest man is hard to find -- The man who remembered too much -- The expert expert -- The most forgetful man in the world -- The memory palace -- How to memorize a poem -- The end of remembering -- The ok plateau -- The talented tenth -- The little rain man in all of us -- The US memory championships.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 1846140293, 0141032138

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 139,003,910 books! | Top bar: Always visible