Soul Music (Discworld, #16; Death, #3) by…

Soul Music (Discworld, #16; Death, #3) (original 1994; edition 2009)

by Terry Pratchett

OTHER CHILDREN GET GIVEN XYLOPHONES. SUSAN JUST HAD TO ASK HER GRANDFATHER TO TAKE HIS VEST OFF. Yes. There's a Death in the family. It's hard to grow up normally when Grandfather rides a white horse and wields a scythe - especially when you have to take over the family business, and everyone mistakes you for the Tooth Fairy. And especially when you have to face the new and addictive music that has entered Discworld. It's lawless. It changes people. It's called Music With Rocks In. It's got a beat and you can dance to it, but... It's alive. And it won't fade away.… (more)
Member:ballphoenix
Title:Soul Music (Discworld, #16; Death, #3)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Transworld Digital, Kindle Edition, 387 pages
Tags:currently-reading

Soul Music by Terry Pratchett (1994)

Dangerous Space by Kelley Eskridge (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For another story about music as a living thing, see the title short story in this collection. (The short story is also freely available for download on the author's website.)

English (89)  Swedish (2)  Polish (1)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Norwegian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (96)
Death has a mid-life crisis. Erm...mid-eternity crisis? My favorite Discworld character, Sam Vimes, Commander of the City Watch, is not in this novel at all -- too bad, but this Discworld novel is laugh-out-loud funny, full of common proverbs/sayings that Pratchett has turned inside out (like "a world of hurt"), and based on an explosively creative (re)telling of various mythologies. This book has the added bonus of musical references that tease: Buddy Holly? That one's obvious. Swing dancing? No-brainer. Some might have been less obvious, but Pratchett is very skilled at giving clues.

If you're a fan of the TV show The Big Bang Theory, you'll have fun reading about Pratchett's young wizard nerds. If you're a fan of the Big Bang Theory, you'll have fun reading Pratchett's version of it.

Highly recommended.

~bint ( )
  bintarab | Sep 2, 2020 |
Lots of fun puns! ( )
  wills2003 | Jul 30, 2020 |
A very nice re-read 9/13/18:

I love music. I love humor. I love seeing wizards rock the house. Oh, and everyone else getting slipped an extra-dimensional mickey in their drinks, too. :)

If we're really talking about sex, drugs, and rock and roll, I know we have the rock and roll down. There are even a few trolls to do it RIGHT. The drugs bit is Discworld itself, OF COURSE. And if you really think about it, our universe really is doing a little slip & slide with Discworld, too.

SEE? METAPHOR STRETCHED, NOT BROKEN. :)

I loved seeing Susan here. She's a real trip. Death, too, of course. But it was a certain raven and a few unwashed rockers who stole the show today. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
A re-read, but still as good as ever. Death takes a holiday and his granddaughter is dragooned into service, but she's having trouble accepting that the schedule isn't always fair. Meantime, a wandering young harp player loses his prized instrument and replaces it with a very odd guitar which seems to have its own idea of what music is. Pratchett's take on rock music (i.e. Music With Rocks In) opens the door to what is quite probably the finest collection of puns in the English language. ( )
  LyndaInOregon | May 25, 2020 |
This is a highly amusing installment of the Death books in the Discworld series. I had seen the animated movie based on this book before, but hadn't read it. I'm really glad I did; there's a lot of fun stuff here. Yes, many of the puns are centered around rock & roll music, and I'm sure there are some that went straight over my head, but it's still a very enjoyable book. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | May 18, 2020 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniele, ValentinaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindforss, PeterTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sabanosh, MichaelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This is a story about memory.
'Mumblemumblemumble,' said the Dean defiantly, a rebel without a pause.
The hippo of recollection stirred in the muddy waters of the mind.

Yes. There’s a Death in the family.

It’s hard to grow up normally when Grandfather rides a white horse and wields a scythe – especially when you have to take over the family business, and everyone mistakes you for the Tooth Fairy.

It’s lawless. It changes people.

It’s called Music With Rocks In.

It’s got a beat and you can dance to it, but…

It’s alive.

And it won’t fade away.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,521,991 books! | Top bar: Always visible