The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

The Color of Magic (original 1983; edition 2000)

by Terry Pratchett

On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle, a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, and of course 'the edge' of the planet.
Member:Consuela
Title:The Color of Magic
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:HarperTorch (2000), Mass Market Paperback, 210 pages

Work Information

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

Recently added byArina8888, Lunaeth, private library, nickrowe, akbookworm33445, PeteMcC57, Beru, BumpandHoon
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber Jr. (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)

English (369)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (391)
Sé que es un clásico de la fantasía humorística, pero no me parece un humor fantástico. Noto las influencias de, probablemente, incontables horas jugando a AD&D con amigos o a Simon the Sorcerer en el ordenador, pero la edad, el fruncimiento de ceño o la traducción al castellano (pellizas de canguros) me impiden relajar el rictus y emitir carcajadas. Bueno, una solté, pero que me aspen si recuerdo el pasaje siquiera.

Escaso desarrollo de personajes y situaciones cercanas a escenas autoconclusivas de los Monty Python hacen que, contra el criterio de muchas personas que me rodean, opine que es comida rápida. Esto no lo hace bueno o malo, pero si no fuera por su posición como referencia cultural, sí lo harían fácilmente olvidadizo.

Ha sido mi segundo libro de Mundodisco y sé que no va a ser el último (porque tengo otros dos), pero temo que voy predispuesto a que me satisfagan poco salvo que demuestren un humor más ácido y oscuro. A mí es que me gusta el dolor. ( )
  tecniferio | May 12, 2022 |
My review of this book can be found on my YouTube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | May 1, 2022 |
I really wanted to like this and didn't that much. If it had been a cartoon though, I think it would be, like, my FAVORITE cartoon. ( )
  jdegagne | Apr 23, 2022 |
  whatmeworry | Apr 9, 2022 |
Yes, I should have read this already. And if I did, I probably wouldn’t have read any others. This was an odd book. Yes, Pratchett was witty…subtly and sometimes directly. Yes, he was funny … but not hilarious (as he is sometimes called), and not that often anyway. Still, I have read The Wee Free Men (which was hilarious) and I think I will take on the series for a project this year. At least, let’s see how the series matures… ( )
  Razinha | Mar 28, 2022 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 169,980,772 books! | Top bar: Always visible