Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

The Color of Magic (original 1983; edition 2000)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle, a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, and of course 'the edge' of the planet.
Member:ValhallaStar
Title:The Color of Magic
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2000), Edition: Reissue, 210 pages

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)

English (332)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (354)
When Author Terry Pratchett passed away in August 2016, I made the decision that in 2017 my main book goal will be to re-visit Discworld. The last time I visited, it was the 80's, and I was happily enjoying my high school and college days. I loved Terry Pratchett's British wit, irreverent humor and brilliant satire from the start. But then I entered The Real World where things like inn-sewer-ants and reflected-sound-of-underground-spirits took over. I never came back to discover all the new adventures going on in Terry Pratchett's wonderful world!

But I'm back now! I see that while I was expanding my horizons, my family, my debt and disillusion, Pratchett was very busy expanding his fantasy world. What used to be a series of 6 or 7 books back in the late 80s is now 40 books! I definitely have a lot of reading to do!

Required disclaimer for first-time Discworld tourists: Don't panic! 40 books does NOT mean that this is a ponderous series and too great an undertaking for all but the most committed travelers. Most books in the series are stand-alone stories with just a few that should be read together to complete an entire story arc. So for the most part visitors can pick and choose from the series, without reading in any particular order or reading all 40 books. It's like booking a vacation....you can take a short weekend jaunt or a 3-month backpacking, hostel-staying epic journey. It's all up to you!

As for me, I'm a bit OCD in my reading habits and always have to start with Book 1 and go forward. :) Yes, I know there are websites with suggested reading order lists that meander from here to there, enjoying the stories in a completely tourist-friendly manner (such as this one here.) I'm hard-headed though and must travel from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 from The Color of Magic straight through to The Shepherd's Crown with no turns or getting off the path. I'm just weird like that.

I just finished book one: The Color of Magic. Re-reading the book as a 48-year old, rather than a fresh-faced high school student, I found that I enjoyed it even more. It's akin to that first time you watch a children's movie and realize it contains thinly veiled adult humor you didn't notice as a munchkin.

In 2017 I'm going to see just how far I can read through the series. I have the next 3 books in the series waiting on my TBR shelf and will acquire additional books as needed. My local library has some of the series, their online offerings have more in ebook format and I can order the rest online. Finding all the books just adds to the adventure. :)

Basics from the tourist brochure for new visitors: Discworld is a magical land that travels through the astral plain on the backs of four giant elephants who ride upon A'Tuin, the Ancient Turtle. The Color of Magic is the first story in the series. The city of Ankh-Morpork has its first tourist. Nobody knows quite what to think about Twoflower, a tourist from a distant land travelling with an imp-inhabited camera and attack luggage. Failed wizard Rincewind becomes his guide, and hilarity ensues.

In 2008 a 2-part mini-series version of The Color of Magic was made for television. Although it doesn't completely follow the book, it is an enjoyable adaptation. There are also movie versions of Hogfather and Going Postal. But, as is the case most of the time, the book versions really are better. The movies are enjoyable, but leave out details here and there and change some portions of the plot.

Anyone who enjoys British humor and the fantasy genre would love this series. I highly recommend it! And for those who have visited Discworld before, it's definitely worth reading again!
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
Glad I've finally read a Terry Pratchett book. This was different to come up with a rating. In the end for me this was a 3.5. Which I don't normally do .5 stars. This was fun and enjoyable but needs 100% of your full attention due the writing style. Death was the best character for me. So will move on to Mort in the future. Definitely will give more books in the series a go. But will need to be in the mood. ( )
  AndreaWay | Nov 15, 2020 |
There is no end to this story or the experiences of the characters. The book is very Pratchettish in tone so it was amusing. However, there was no real conclusion so the story must continue, mustn't it? ( )
  Saraishelafs | Nov 4, 2020 |
Amusing, entertaining, and definitely unique.

This was a fun, if almost pointless, read. The adventure is just a series of moments, akin to reading a collection of Robert E. Howard's Conan short stories: related adventures that, nonetheless, don't serve any shared point or goal.

It was fun enough and well-written enough to encourage me to read further, but I suspect I'll jump ahead and read the Mort or City Guard series, where Pratchett had more experience, as a writer. ( )
  James_Patrick_Joyce | Oct 24, 2020 |
Okay, first of all I would like to say that I love ALL Terry Pratchett's books, so I am only going to highlight certain ones. I enjoy English humor for one and the way that his hapless universe somehow gets by. To begin The Color of Magic we meet the failed wizard (or ���������Wizzard���������) Rincewind, and the Discworld's first ever tourist, Twoflower in the city of Ankh-Morpork. Rincewind learns that being a tour guide is more dangerous than staying in Ankh-Morpork under the Patrician's "benevolent" gaze. Feeding the tourists strange appetite for what Rincewind considers everyday things while keeping him from destroying the whole of the Disc maybe more than Rincewind bargained for. ( )
  Ravenwood1984 | Oct 13, 2020 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,681,677 books! | Top bar: Always visible