The Color of Magic (Discworld) by Terry…

The Color of Magic (Discworld) (original 1983; edition 2013)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle, a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, and of course 'the edge' of the planet.
Member:MaryVBlair
Title:The Color of Magic (Discworld)
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Harper (2013), Edition: Reissue, 277 pages

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber Jr (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)

English (349)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (371)
Once upon a time, I tried to read the Discworld books, starting (against several people's advise) with the first and working through all of them. I made it a few books in and put them down, saying that some day I would give them another chance. Well, this is that chance.

This time around, I'm listening to them all on audiobook. This actually seems to help quite a lot, since it allows me to keep listening while at the same time doing something with my hands and, unless I stop it myself, will keep going without me. It turns out that, given those circumstances, I quite enjoyed the Color of Magic this time around.

It's still not the best book I've ever read. The plot seems to meander a bit and jump from place to place--which, to be fair, is more or less intentional. The characters, other than Rincewind and Twoflower, are a bit lackluster, although the two of them are at least amusingly put together and distinct. The setting is actually quite amusing, although it goes more for humor than a more 'serious' take on worldbuilding--again, intentional.

Finally, the Color of Magic either feels just a bit too long or a bit too short. There are perhaps three major sections to the book, where jumps in time and space separate out what is going on in each from one another. However, the last one feels incomplete. There's something that could be very interesting just about to happen... and then the book ends. I have hopes that the sequel will go a bit more into that.

Overall, better to listen to than to read (at least for me). Worth giving the series a second try. I think I'll actually read each subseries rather than going straight through. Onward with the adventures of Rincewind it is! ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
Silly and clever, a la Neal Gaiman or Christopher Moore. It has all the earmarks of having been compiled from a collection of shorter stories, but aside from a bit of redundancy, the episodic nature is not offputting.

I understand that this is the first of the Discworld novels, and that they get even better. If so, I'd be interested in reading more. ( )
  Charon07 | Jul 16, 2021 |
Somewhat amusing, but hardly riveting tale, of wizard Rincewind's feeble attempts to host/protect tourist, Twoflower. Eventually, the two "escape" in a capsule and leave Discworld for the next adventure. ( )
  skipstern | Jul 11, 2021 |
This is the most ridiculous book I have ever read. And I mean that in the funniest, most complimentary way possible. This felt like a parody of the fantasy genre as a whole and real life simultaneously. I have never laughed so much when reading a book. Looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  Arafyn | Jun 9, 2021 |
I'm 38 years late to the party, but have just read my first Discworld novel. It's a fun read - pure entertainment. Enough allusions and puns to turn the fantasy into fun.
I'm not sure I'm an addict yet, but I am sure I'll be back for the second volume soon. Whether I get through to full set of 40+ books is a little more doubtful. ( )
1 vote mbmackay | Jun 4, 2021 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,674,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible