The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

The Color of Magic (original 1983; edition 2000)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

On a world supported on the back of a giant turtle, a gleeful, explosive, wickedly eccentric expedition sets out. There's an avaricious but inept wizard, a naive tourist whose luggage moves on hundreds of dear little legs, and of course 'the edge' of the planet.
Member:JoeFieldWriter
Title:The Color of Magic
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:HarperCollins (2000), Edition: Reissue, 210 pages

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett (1983)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (mcenroeucsb)
    Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman (derelicious)
    The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde (glade1)
    glade1: Another "zany alternate universe," set on earth in a slightly different version of history and with forays into BookWorld, or the actual events of books.
    Ill Met in Lankhmar [collection] by Fritz Leiber Jr (ehines)
    ehines: Pratchett, of course, is far more contemporary, but aside from the obvious parody/homage, the tone and atmosphere of Pratchett's early Discworld books are clearly inpsired by the Lankhmar stories. Well worth reading either Leiber's or Pratchett's take on ironic fantasy heroism.… (more)
    Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw (electronicmemory)
    The 13½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers (Tjarda)
    Tjarda: Walter Moers created the fantastic continent of Zamonia, with a great number of colourful characters. You may think it's for kids, but it is certainly not!
    Another Fine Myth by Robert Asprin (Cecrow)
    Soul Retrievers by David Burton (Skylles)
    Skylles: Fun, often silly, very creative, action fantasy
    The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Morteana)
    Dungeon - Zenith, Vol. 1: Duck Heart by Joann Sfar (yokai)
    Un Lun Dun by China Miéville (asha.leu)
    A Dirty Job by Christopher Moore (lookitisheef)
    The Toyminator by Robert Rankin (ShelfMonkey)

English (355)  French (7)  Spanish (6)  German (2)  Romanian (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Danish (1)  Norwegian (1)  Swedish (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (377)
This is [b:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy|11|The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy, Book 1)|Douglas Adams|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1156039839s/11.jpg|3078186] ... only for Fantasy. The two main, hapless characters lurch from scene to scene (or storyline to storyline) in what might be considered a classic epic ... If the scenes actually had anything in common other then the main characters. Along the way, Prachett humorously substitutes magic for science, frequently with the intent to play with our perceptions and fantasy stereotypes, while we explore the Disk World in his first novel of the series. It was high entertainment, despite the rough transitions between what could arguably be 4 smaller stories within the book ... And it boasts a cliff-hanger ending that was rather annoying for somebody who likes each book to stand on their own as much as possible (at least have some closure to the plot). About the only thing I took away from the book was a rather interesting treatment of dragons ... Otherwise it seemed to be primarily a spoof on existing fantasy conventions, albeit done very well with obvious talent ... Along the lines of the Myth Series by [a:Robert Asprin|65471|Robert Lynn Asprin|http://www.goodreads.com/images/nophoto/nophoto-M-50x66.jpg], although he started better and lost his way where Prachett is rumored to have gotten much better with his later books.
  Kris.Larson | Sep 13, 2021 |
DNF
  DavidNaiman | Sep 11, 2021 |
When I started this, I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy it. It didn't grab me as quickly as its science-fictional twin, [b:The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy|386162|The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)|Douglas Adams|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1559986152l/386162._SX50_.jpg|3078186], did.

But over the duration of this short, ridiculous novel, I began to have fun with it. By the end, I was laughing out loud.

Definitely looking forward to more. ( )
  TobinElliott | Sep 3, 2021 |
This was a quirky, funny, laugh out loud novel, though I did find it hard to keep up. I may have to reread when I'm in a better position to concentrate on the story. The audio book was absolutely excellent and engaging. ( )
  SarahRita | Aug 11, 2021 |
Got this back from the library and finished from the middle on. Was much easier the second time round with the changing scenes and characters. I'd let go of my expectation of a linear narrative and just enjoyed the ride. I also took more time to enjoy Pratchett's turn of phrase. Will venture on to the next installment as I'm interested to see what happens next.
  Stephen.Lawton | Aug 7, 2021 |

Player, StephenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Robinson, TonyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rockwell, Scottsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sahlin, OlleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In a distant and second-hand set of dimensions, in an astral plane that was never meant to fly, the curling star-mists waver and part...
Tourist, Rincewind decided, meant "idiot".
Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'.
Rincewind sighed again. It was all very well going on about pure logic and how the universe was ruled by logic and the harmony of numbers, but the plain fact of the matter was that the Disc was manifestly traversing space on the back of a giant turtle and the gods had a habit of going around to atheists' houses and smashing their windows.

Terry Pratchett has invented a phantasmagorical universe in which a blissfully naive interplanetary tourist called Two-flower joins up with a drop-out wizard whose spells only seem to work half of the time.

Together they undertake a chaotic voyage through a crazy world filled with monsters and dragons, heroes and knaves. Pratchett has taken the sword and sorcery fantasy tradition and turned it in its ear to create an entertaining and bizarre spoof.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,186,784 books! | Top bar: Always visible