Das Licht der Phantasie. Ein Roman aus der…

Das Licht der Phantasie. Ein Roman aus der bizarren Scheibenwelt. (original 1986; edition 1989)

by Terry Pratchett

There is only one individual who can save the world from a disastrous collision. Unfortunately, he happens to be the singularly inept wizard Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.
Member:Jisi
Title:Das Licht der Phantasie. Ein Roman aus der bizarren Scheibenwelt.
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Heyne (1989), Paperback

The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett (1986)

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (Nikkles)
    The Sheriff of Yrnameer by Michael Rubens (ogingero)
    ogingero: both have witty satirical humour in an original fantasy.

English (141)  Spanish (4)  French (2)  Polish (1)  Swedish (1)  German (1)  All languages (150)
Sequel to "The Colour of Magic", this finishes the adventures of Rincewind and Twoflower. While I had seen the movie version a long time ago, I enjoyed the book much more. It contains much more scenes, some things are clearer, and the humour was better because of it. I would recommend the book over the movie. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and a few times even laughed out loud. ( )
  AMartinios | Sep 16, 2019 |
This series is definitely a fun one! Great writing full of humor, even just humor about the writing itself, and full of interesting characters that are all nearly fatally flawed, but keep you rooting for them. ( )
  Mactastik | Sep 4, 2019 |
"The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort"

This re-read had me right from the opening line. I first read it when I was about 20, and while I enjoyed it then, I absolutely LOVED it now.

You see, it always baffles me when I see people list Pratchett books as children's or young adult. Yes, he has written about a half dozen or so kids books too, but I mean the rest of them. I can only assume that those people are literally judging said books by the cover, and think a cartoony cover must mean a kids book.

Sorry. no.

Sure, there's little in here that even the most worried of parents would want to keep away from their kids (except the odd mention of sex, and the occasional gruesome death or two), but that doesn't mean the book is meant for them.

You see, Pratchett was smart. I mean scary smart in a way that us mere mortals don't seem to be able to relate to. His books are layered with ideas, themes and other ways of tricking you into reading social, political or religious commentary disguised as a silly fantasy romp.
And even the very smartest of kids won't be able to grasp all those hidden layers unless they have actually experienced life a little.

Of course they will still enjoy the silliness of Rincewind and Twoflower's escapades, but they won't be able to appreciate the book fully until they are much older and have the life experience to help them relate to and interpret the deeper layers of the story.

Amended my rating to 5 stars. ( )
1 vote Sammystarbuck | Sep 2, 2019 |
Rereading simply to bask in the gloriousness of Sir Terry's genius. ( )
  laureenH | Aug 26, 2019 |
It has been far too long since I’ve read a Discworld novel.

I read Pratchett’s Dodger a couple years ago, but that one fell short for me – the humor and absurdity I love so much in Discworld was not there. I’ve been meaning to read more of this universe for the last couple years… but The Light Fantastic in particular? It’s been on my TBR since I read The Color of Magic in my senior English class. It’s been on my TBR longer than I’ve had an official, trackable TBR. So it’s about time I read it. I’d like to take a moment to thank my first ever Reading Rush for pushing me to acquire a copy. I read it in less than 24 hours.

Terry Pratchett’s writing is… not for everyone. I love it – I think he’s witty and quirky and while the series defies the vibrant way I usually like my world’s written, it’s still somehow endearing. I think the humor adds to that. The only author I can fairly compare him to is Douglas Addams – Discworld’s tongue-in-cheek humor reminds me of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It moves the story along while adding amusing asides that will make any reader chuckle at the sheer absurdity and casual commentary. It you like serious science-fiction, you find it in The Light Fantastic or any of his other works. But if you’re looking for a quick, amusing, fantasy (sci-fi?) read, then you need look no further. Discworld checks all my boxes for an amusing afternoon read.

Even though it’s been over a decade since I read The Color of Magic, I fell right back into this book. Twoflower’s hopeless optimism balanced by Rincewind’s cautious pessimism. They’re a really good pair, and when you throw in the Luggage as it’s own silent, ambling character, they’re a lucky, ambling trio. The character traits are clear without being crowded with too many adjectives. Pratchett doesn’t spend a lot of time describing visuals, and when he does, he’s blunt. As such, I have no idea the color of Rincewind’s eyes and while I know that Twoflower has hair, I have no idea what color. It leaves a lot of room for imagination, and it’s done in such a way that I never felt his style fell short… simply that he preferred to focus on different aspects of the story.

I particularly appreciated the plot in The Light Fantastic. I’ve read a lot of books lately with heavier levels of drama or romance – Pratchett doesn’t bother with all that fluff. There are whole scenes that are generally pointless other than to introduce a minor character or make a joke, but they are brief enough to be humorous. When it comes to the plot devices, there are a lot of times where the reader is asked to simply… trust. A particular scene comes to mind where someone asked Twoflower why he’s not scared about the impending red star, and he basically just shrugs his shoulders and says “Rincewind’s not afraid, and he’s afraid of everything, so it’s probably fine.” The twist at the end is perfect and creative and I loved it, but it was very quick. This is not the type of book you skim – it’s so deliberately written that if you read it too fast, you’ll miss something important.

Still, I think the pacing is important. Because it’s not flowery and descriptive, anything slower would come in monologues, and it would be, frankly, boring. I really liked that it was a quick, easy read. It’s different than most things being published these days, so it threw me at first… but I liked the difference. One thing I would caution – I think The Light Fantastic really requires reading The Color of Magic. Most of Discworld comfortably stands alone, but this one started off so quickly that I think I would have been a little lost if I hadn’t already been acquainted with the characters and the basic format of the world. Obviously, you can do as you please and jump in without reading book one – most of Discworld really does stand alone if you want – but I think it’s a betetr experience with some previous experience.

All said, I generally enjoyed this one. It was a breath of fresh air in my slew of current reads. Of course, I recommend anything Discworld, but I’ve always enjoyed Rincewind (and Death, Death’s scenes are the best) and The Light Fantastic is a particularly good installment. ( )
1 vote Morteana | Jul 23, 2019 |

Pratchett, Terryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brandhorst, AndreasTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Couton, PatrickTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The sun rose slowly, as if it wasn't sure it was worth all the effort.
It looked like the sort of book described in library catalogues as "slightly foxed", although it would be more honest to admit that it looked as though it had been badgered, wolved and possibly beared as well.
"What is it that a man may call the greatest things in life?"
- "Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
You can talk about tramps. You can talk about garlic. You can talk about France. Go on. But if you haven't smelled Ankh-Morpork on a hot day you haven't smelled anything.

As it moves towards a seemingly inevitable collision with a malevolent red star, the Discworld has only one possible saviour. Unfortunately, this happens to be the singularly inept and cowardly wizard called Rincewind, who was last seen falling off the edge of the world.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,199,880 books! | Top bar: Always visible