Carpe Jugulum (Discworld #23) by Terry…

Carpe Jugulum (Discworld #23) (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Terry Pratchett

7,39472711 (4)142
Member:dennymeta
Title:Carpe Jugulum (Discworld #23)
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Corgi (1999), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 432 pages

Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett (1998)

English (69)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (72)
"Carpe Jugulum," read Agnes aloud. "That's...well, Carpe Diem is 'Seize the Day,' so this means-"

"'Go for the Throat,'" said Nanny.

Carpe Jubulum is the 6th and final book in the Witches sub-series and the 23rd Discworld novel in publishing order. It's witches verses vampires! King Verence and Queen Magrat of Lancre have had their first child, a daughter, and have invited everyone to the naming ceremony. Unfortunately this includes the Duke and Duchess de Magpyr, a family of vampires from Uberwald. Everyone who knows anything about vampires knows you don't invite them in unless you want a permanent guest. And these sunlight-loving, garlic-eating, progressive vampires are making themselves at home in the castle. It's up to the witches and an Omnian priest to save the kingdom.

It never ceases to amaze me how Pratchett can weave such a fun satire and yet still touch on deeper notes. On the surface we're given a satire about pre-Twilight vampire mythology. It does this well, especially with Alucard Dracula's story, and pokes a lot of fun at classic vampire lore. Going a little bit deeper, he also touches on rural vs modern life as well as religion, faith and morality. The Kingdom of Lancre is Pratchett's version of an idyllic rural kingdom turned sideways, where the King rules by not asking anyone to do things they weren't going to do anyway and all the servants are from the Ogg family, mostly Sean Ogg. We are also treated to an introduction of the Nac Mac Feegle, who feature later on in the Tiffany Aching books.

It was interesting to see ties back to Small Gods in the form of the Omnian priest Mighty Oaks. Mighty Oaks is in well over his head and yet comes through like a champ. Oaks and Granny Weatherwax have some interesting discussions around faith and morality, which I found unexpected and enjoyable. It's moments like this that lift the book above just being a simple satire.

Overall it's another great entry to the series. For new Discworld readers I would not start with this book as it relies heavily on you knowing the characters prior to this installment. ( )
1 vote Narilka | Apr 6, 2018 |
Sam Vimes. One of my absolute favorite Disworld books! Igor and Scraps.
Books don’t get better than this! ( )
  blueraven57 | Nov 25, 2017 |
This is one of the better Discworld books in the last bunch I've read (going in publication order). It has a fairly tight plot without a lot of meandering tendrils of parody and doesn't spend too much time trying to get everyone in the right place. The central theme is "vampires", so while there is a lot of material to explore and poke fun at, it's all fairly compact (compared to "Australia" in The Last Continent, which I read immediately prior to Carpe Jugulum), and Uberwald is conveniently close to Lancre. In featuring the witches and the Omnian Reverend Mightily Oats, it also focuses on two of the things I find that Pratchett does best - examinations of storytelling and belief and how the stories we tell to and about ourselves reverbate through, basically, everything.

As always, there's a big finale scene that gets a bit wooly, but the story pacing doesn't change appreciably in the approach, the way it does in most of the previous books. It got difficult to keep a mental map of everything going on as the characters split apart, but mostly I found that it worked.

This is the first Discworld book in a long while that I read avidly from the start and didn't put off reading. I think the last one I was so interested in was Hogfather, or maybe Small Gods. ( )
  keristars | Nov 6, 2017 |
Granny Weatherwax is one of those characters that, prior to this point, I would describe as a quiet mystery. Old, crotchety, wise, powerful, and wickedly intelligent, her role in her coven was always important but never a centerpiece, at least in my mind, and she was never a character toward which I would ascribe feelings of sympathy.

But in this book we see Pratchett really explore what makes Granny Granny, and in doing so, shows us why he loves her character so much. Like Captain Vimes, Granny is a creature of honour and duty, willing to do those things others can't or won't do because they are necessary. But as we've seen Vimes, here we see Granny bending beneath the weight of that duty, and in those moments we see the humanity and vulnerability of a character who seems so unbreakable.

To me, this book stacks up with Guards! Guards! as one of Pratchett's best... I'm a guy who loves relating to great characters, and this book delivers in spades. ( )
  fancypantalons | Oct 27, 2017 |
Reasonable fun, nothing over the top. Part of the witches set in the disc world novels. As ever, the characters are larger than life, more extreme. I got bored a little with the vampire storyline, and the obligatory farce was a bit obligatory in places, but it did just fine as a book to read when fluffy and humorous waas what I was after ( )
  fred_mouse | Aug 17, 2017 |

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Coates, EricDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Galian, Carl D.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kivimäki, MikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, MikeAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Through the shredded black clouds a fire moved like a dying star, falling back to earth - the earth, that is, of the Discworld - but unlike any star had ever done before, it sometimes managed to steer its fall, sometimes rising, sometimes twisting, but inevitably heading down.

Mightily Oats has not picked a good time to be priest. He thought he’d come to Lancre for a simple ceremony. Now he’s caught up in a war between vampires and witches.

There’s Young Agnes, who is really in two minds about everything. Magrat, who is trying to combine witchcraft and nappies, Nanny Ogg ... and Granny Weatherwax, who is big trouble.

And the vampires are intelligent. They’ve got style and fancy waistcoats. They’re out of the casket and want a bite of the future. Mightily Oats knows he has a prayer, but he wishes he had an axe.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0061020397, Mass Market Paperback)

Carpe Jugulum is the 23rd Discworld novel, and with it this durable series continues its juggernaut procession onward. Pratchett is an author who inspires such devotions that his fans will fall on the novel with cries of joy. Nonfans, perhaps, will want to know what all the fuss is about; and that's something difficult to put into a few words. The best thing to do for those completely new to Pratchett is to sample him for themselves, and this novel is as good a place to start as any. But fans have a more precise question. They know that Discworld novels come in one of two varieties: the quite good and the brilliant. So, for instance, where Hogfather and Maskerade were quite good, Feet of Clay and Jingo were brilliant. While true fans wouldn't want to do without the former, they absolutely live for the latter. And with Carpe Jugulum, Pratchett has hit the jackpot again. This novel is one of the brilliant ones.

The plot is a version of an earlier Discworld novel, Lords and Ladies, with the predatory elves of that novel being replaced here by suave and deadly vampires, and the tiny kingdom of Lancre being defended by its witches. But plot is the least of Pratchett's appeal, and Carpe Jugulum is loaded with marvelous characters (not least the witches themselves, about whom we learn a deal more), comic touches and scenes of genius, and even some of the renowned down-to-earth Pratchett wisdom (about the inner ethical conflicts we all face and the wrongness of treating people as things). Pratchett's vampires are elegant Bela Lugosi types, and they come up against an unlikely but engaging alliance of witches; blue-skinned pixies like Rob Roy Smurfs; a doubting priest with a boil on his face; and a magical house-size Phoenix in a seamless, completely absorbing, and feel-good-about-the-universe mixture. Highly recommended. --Adam Roberts, Amazon.co.uk

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:17 -0400)

King Verence unwittingly invites trouble when he opens the doors of the castle to Uberwald's undead, the Magpyrs, to celebrate the birth of his daughter.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,024,068 books! | Top bar: Always visible