Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett

Witches Abroad (original 1991; edition 2002)

by Terry Pratchett (Author)

Series: Discworld: Witches (3), Discworld (12)

Be careful what you wish for... Once upon a time there was a fairy godmother named Desiderata who had a good heart, a wise head, and poor planning skills-which unforunately left the Princess Emberella in the care of her other (not quite so good and wise) godmother when DEATH came for Desiderata. So now it's up to Magrat Garlick, Granny Weatherwax, and Nanny Ogg to hop on broomsticks and make for far-distant Genua to ensure the servant girl doesn't marry the Prince. But the road to Genua is bumpy, and along the way the trio of witches encounters the occasional vampire, werewolf, and falling house (well this is a fairy tale, after all). The trouble really begins once these reluctant foster-godmothers arrive in Genua and must outwit their power-hungry counterpart who'll stop at nothing to achieve a proper "happy ending"-even if it means destroying a kingdom.… (more)
Member:ValhallaStar
Title:Witches Abroad
Authors:Terry Pratchett (Author)
Info:Harper (2002), Edition: First Edition, 384 pages

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett (1991)

English (101)  German (3)  Dutch (1)  Polish (1)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Norwegian (1)  French (1)  All languages (110)
For Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, things are never simple. When they go on a mission to Genua to stop a wedding that was not meant to be it turns out to be more complicated than usual. They have got Mrs. Gogol's voodoo, Nanny Ogg ( )
  Ravenwood1984 | Oct 13, 2020 |
What do you get when three witches and a cat travel on broomstick across the disc to crash a wedding, also add some twisted up fairy tails along the way.
Road trip!

AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
I only recently discovered Discworld...how did I go this long without knowing about these books! So glad I fell into the series - they are an absolute delight! Am working my way through the Witches books - this one is number 3... although each book I've read to date can work as a stand-alone - so jump in anywhere, the weather is fine. Here's the guide to reading order: http://www.geeksofdoom.com/GoD/img/2014/04/Discworld-2.21.jpg
As for this one - loved it the most out of the three Witch books I've read to date. Found I was laughing out loud as I was reading. I've now read it and listened to it in the car - good stuff!
  wills2003 | Jul 30, 2020 |
Back in 1995 I was in the first few months of dating a man who would become my second husband, the father of my younger daughter, and go on to divorce me, and make me wonder why I'd ever liked the guy. However, in 1995 he confided to me that his parents had always read to each other at bedtime, taking it turns, and he'd love to read to me. I hated being read to but acquiesed. I soon learned to love being read to by this man with the fabulous voice, and the books he picked were delightful. The very first book he read me was Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett, and I loved it right away.

I still love this book. It contains some of my favourite Pratchett quotations, has three intricately-drawn main characters, witches all three, and my favourite Pratchett character of all time, Granny Weatherwax, she of the three vests (undershirts) under her dress and opinions and ways that are as unbendable as steel bars. She's ever In cahoots with Nanny Ogg, with her lust for life - food, drink (especially with bananananas and rum in it), sex, ruler of her extended family, and singer of unprintable songs. Then there's Magrat, who is, as Granny says, a bit wet, too inclined to worry about homeless hedgehogs and far too inclined towards occult jewelery, finding herself, and learning martial arts. When a fairy godmother dies and leaves Magrat her wand, the three witches must travel to a far-off city and battle the bad and rescue the good, although most of the time it's hard to tell which is which. (There's a witch/which pun there somewhere but I'm too tired to figure it out.)

Re-reading at least part of the Discworld series is part of this year's plan, as I am depressed and grieving and Pratchett's lively and upbeat books really cheer me up, whether they're set in Ankh-Morpork or the High Ramtops or anywhere else indeed. Witches Abroad was great place to start and I give it five stars and hearty recommendations. ( )
1 vote ahef1963 | Jun 21, 2020 |
Re-read 5/24/18:

Second read! And MORE WITCHES. Well, voodoo, too!

What happens when stories just INSIST that witches come over and to the other side? What, with all the wolves misunderstanding that they're not men and dwarves trying to steal Nanny Og's shoes and ALL THOSE MAGIC MIRRORS!

And in the end, it's just family rivalry. :)

Weatherwax really stole the show.

Yeah. Even more than that damn cat Greebo! :)

The novel is a great mish-mash of fairy tails with proper Discworld attitude. :) Better than most of the Witches novels, IMHO, but I'm just biding time till Aching comes along. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Perhaps because the novel's picaresque structure seems commodious rather than contrived, one reads with less of an obtrusive sense of stage machinery being wheeled into place. Still, Pratchett's taste for complicated climactic scenes remains, so that his novels, rather than coming to a point as much comedy does, tend to blow apart like a firecracker.

Terry Pratchettprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kirby, JoshCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Planer, NigelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to all those people - and why not? - who, after the publication of Wyrd Sisters, deluged the author with their version of the words of 'The Hedgehog Song'.
Deary deary me...
This is Discworld, which travels through space on the back of four elephants which themselves stand on the shell of Great A'Tuin, the sky turtle.
Nanny Ogg quite liked cooking, provided there were other people around to do things like chop up the vegetables and wash the dishes afterwards.
Genua had once controlled the river mouth and taxed its traffic in a way that couldn't be called piracy because it was done by the city government.

It seemed an easy job…After all, how difficult could it be to make sure that a servant girl doesn't marry a prince?

But for the witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg and Magrat Garlick, travelling to the distant city of Genua, things are never that simple...

Servant girls have to marry the prince. That's what life is all about. You can't fight a Happy Ending.

At least - up until now…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,528,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible