Equal Rites: A Novel of Discworld by Terry…

Equal Rites: A Novel of Discworld (original 1987; edition 1988)

by Terry Pratchett

Series: Discworld: Witches (1), Discworld (3)

This is part of a set of gift-sized editions of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels. Discworld is a flat planet, supported on the backs of four elephants, who in turn stand on the back of the great turtle A'Tuin as it swims majestically through space.
Member:Consuela
Title:Equal Rites: A Novel of Discworld
Authors:Terry Pratchett
Info:Roc (1988), Paperback

Work Information

Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett (1987)

I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett (MyriadBooks, ijustgetbored)
    MyriadBooks: For the appearance of Eskarina Smith.
    ijustgetbored: To find out what becomes of Esk.
    The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett (pwaites)
    pwaites: Tiffany Aching is similar in many ways to Esk.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams (SandraArdnas)
    Arky Types by Sara Maitland (BeckyJP)

English (210)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (2)  French (2)  Danish (1)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  Swedish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (222)
I came late to the Discworld bandwagon, but now I'm firmly aboard. This was really fun to read. ( )
  tsmom1219 | Feb 24, 2022 |
When wizard Drum Billet is about to die, he finds a newborn to follow his steps. Yet, there is a slight mistake, it is not the eighth son of an eighth son, but a girl. The midwife and witch Granny Weatherwax knows immediately what this will mean, Eskarina would become the first female wizard. Except for the fact that there is no such thing as a female wizard. Years go by but ultimately, her family cannot ignore her fate. So quite naturally, she will have to be trained, and therefore Esk and Granny make their way to the Unseen University.

“If you were a boy I'd say are you going to seek your fortune?"
"Can't girls seek their fortune?"
"I think they're supposed to seek a boy with a fortune.”

Terry Pratchett’s Discworld has lost nothing of its appeal after all these years. “Equal Rites” was first published in 1987 and is the third novel in the series. The title is a wordplay on equal rights of course, the main topic of the novel and - quite distressingly - not much has changed since then. Old institutions which still refuse women on the basis of the fact that they have never been allowed there, are still a reality. With impressive irony, the author puts the finger in the wound and yet, the effects seem to be weak.

“It is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.”

Esk is a wonderfully stubborn girl who finds her way into a male world. She possesses a natural force and cannot easily be stopped. Luckily, Granny is by her side to guide her and to make up for some foolish steps. She, too, is a great and lovable character. Even though she somehow accepts that women are witches and men wizards, she does not take male magic too seriously, she knows about the fuss they make with words and their weakness. She is a great representative of those women who have seen through the male facade and know how to work their way around big egos.

“I saved a man's life once," said Granny. "Special medicine, twice a day. Boiled water with a bit of berry juice in it. Told him I'd bought it from the dwarves. That's the biggest part of doct'rin, really. Most people’ll get over most things if they put their minds to it, you just have to give them an interest.”

It is most of all the little details that Pratchett has paid so much attention to that make the series an outstanding read. The puns are wonderful and the brilliant irony with which he caricatures the real world made me laugh out loud more than once. Reading it from a feminist point of view, the novel is as current as it might ever be. ( )
  miss.mesmerized | Jan 30, 2022 |
Possibly the strongest of the first three, building out what Pratchett had framed up in the first two. Granny Weatherwax -- I can't remember and do wonder if she was a relative of the Archchancellor in the first book -- is a standout character. ( )
  Murphy-Jacobs | Jan 24, 2022 |
This one made me chuckle a couple of times and a couple more times it made laugh out loud at the most inconvenient times. For example, it was early morning and everyone but me and the bus driver were sleeping and the book was so funny I couldn't help a small laugh that earned me the very angry sleepy stares of the people next to me (and probably the ones behind me as well).
The story itself was quite entertaining as well. Esmeralda, Granny, is a great character and I loved how she was just willing to accompany this wizard/witch girl in her adventures and never despair. Eskarina herself was amazing. I applaud writer that can write kids that feel like kids, and don't make them too adult like or simply childish. I never doubted her age and she was a great kid, her adventure was magnificent. I hope to read more of her in other books to come, but the ending made me doubt it. ( )
  Nannus | Jan 17, 2022 |
Una novela que confirma que interactuando concientemente la gente puede entenderse y llegar a buenos terminos en un sin fin de ocasiones. El humor ha bajado no es el standar de lo que hasta ahora habia leido del autor pero no deja de estar metido entre las oraciones diciendote que aunque esta novela es mas seria el sigue ahi escribiendo y deleitando.

La personaje de Yaya ceravieja es la mejor por lejos, una comprension notable del mundodisco y la vida en general dejando resquicios abiertos para aprender aun mas superando sus prejuicios logrando que los que la rodean cambien junto a ella.

El golpe de timon de las mujeres en el mundo de los magos del disco abre geniales posibilidades espero se note aun mas en los libros que siguen. ( )
  Enzokolis | Jan 17, 2022 |

Петрова, ВеселаEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Иванова, ТаняDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Зарков, ВладимирTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
[None]
Thanks to Neil Gaiman, who loaned us the last surviving copy of the Liber Paginarium Fulvarum, and a big hallo to all the kids at the H.P. Lovecraft Holiday Fun Club.

I would like it to be clearly understood that this book is not wacky. Only dumb redheads in Fifties' sitcoms are wacky.

No, it's not zany either.
This is a story about magic and where it goes and perhaps more importantly where it comes from and why, although it doesn't pretend to answer all or any of these questions.
They both savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things.
For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.
Esk, of course had not been trained, and it is well known that a vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you are attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history.
... she was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.
It has already been revealed that light on the Discworld travels slowly, the result of its passage through the Disc’s vast and ancient magical field.
So dawn isn’t the sudden affair that it is on other worlds. The new day doesn’t erupt, it sort of sloshes gently across the sleeping landscape in the same way that the tide sneaks in across the beach, melting the sand castles of the night. It tends to flow around mountains. If the trees are close together it comes out of woods cut to ribbons and sliced with shadows.

The last thing the wizard Drum Billet did, before Death laid a bony hand on his shoulder, was to pass on his staff of power to the eighth son of an eighth son. Unfortunately for his colleagues in the chauvinistic (not to say misogynistic) world of magic, he failed to check on the new-born baby’s sex…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,366,695 books! | Top bar: Always visible