Of Thee I Sing by Barack Obama

Of Thee I Sing (2010)

by Barack Obama

Other authors: Loren Long (Illustrator)

"Of Thee I Sing" by Barack Obama is a great book that encourages and honors diversity in terms of religion, ethnicity, race, and more. It takes his daughters on a walk through history to see so many amazing people that did things that used to be unheard of. An example of this is Jackie Robinson who was the first African American to play major league baseball. Or Neil Armstrong who was the first person to walk on the moon. In the end it talks about how America is made up of so many different, unique, and strong people which is what makes America, America. I really love this book because no matter what household it's in children can find someone like them in this book. It welcomes and celebrates all diversity and I feel like it's a really powerful book to read to young children. Young children will be more likely to think of new things they can do that they might've thought impossible before and that is amazing. ( )
  CassieHurley | Apr 14, 2018 |
This children book is heavy with meaning and strong messages directed to young children. It walks you through the achievements of thirteen life changing people. This is the picture book for all ages. It can have a variety of different meanings that can reach a wide audience. The main message of this story is to teach young children hat they can change the world with one or more of there endless talents. ( )
  DanielleLubin | Feb 19, 2018 |
This book is a letter from Barack Obama's to his daughters. The main idea of the text is to tell show the characteristics of American heroes and how his daughters and all children have the capabilities of being a hero. The book included great visuals and descriptions of each of the heroes. ( )
  ElizabethReid | Feb 18, 2018 |
This book serves as an inspirational letter from Barack Obama to his daughters. Every other page, Obama affirms for his daughters that they have a specific quality, such as bravery. Then, an American from history who shares this quality is introduced and briefly described. As the book progresses, children dressed to represent the historical American icons begin to gather behind the illustrated Obama sisters. The overall outcome is a collection of diverse children standing alongside the Obama sisters that symbolizes the great accomplishments of Americans throughout the years and highlight the personal characteristics of these heroes that we may all share.

The central message of this book is that Americans are a diverse group of people who all have qualities that make this country a wonderful place. By discussing notable Americans who made history and representing them as children, this book invites children readers to use their greatest qualities to make American history as well. ( )
  LaurenCompton | Feb 17, 2018 |
I thought this book was awesome! Not only does it send a super sweet message from President Obama to his daughters, but a message of pride and empowerment to those who can relate to the people discussed in the book. ( )
  ColbyCronise | Feb 12, 2018 |
Obama appears to have turned away all help with the writing of his children's story: The book reads like it really is a letter from a very busy dad-president - no rhythm, no rhyme, no rat-a-tat-tat. What's a children's tale without a fancy step or two? "Of Thee I Sing" sadly has no melody.

Barack Obamaprimary authorall editionscalculated
Long, LorenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
To Michelle-- whose fierce love and daily good sense have norished such wonderful daughters. --B.O.
To my sons, Griff and Graham. --L.L.
Have I told you lately how wonderful you are?

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 037583527X, Hardcover)

Take a Look Inside Of Thee I Sing
Click on the photos below to view the full spreads from the book.

You Are Part of a Family
You Have Your Own Song
You Are a Healer

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:25 -0400)

"In this tender, beautiful letter to his daughters, President Barack Obama has written a moving tribute to thirteen groundbreaking Americans and the ideals that have shaped our nation. From the artistry of Georgia O'Keeffe, to the courage of Jackie Robinson, to the patriotism of George Washington, President Obama sees the traits of these heroes within his own children, and within all of America's children"--Book jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,111,219 books! | Top bar: Always visible