101 Recipes for Making Cheese: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply (Back-To-Basics)

by Cynthia Martin

1111,729,326 (4.5)None
There are more than 3,000 different kinds of cheese currently registered with the FDA, and hundreds more made in small villages, towns, and back countries around the world. Since the earliest record of milk cultivation, humans have been creating new kinds of cheese and today it has become one of the most used, popular food items in the world. Rich, creamy, sharp, or spicy cheeses can add a bit of zest to any meal and with the right recipes and the tools needed to make your own, you can start enjoying the joy of cheese from your own kitchen. This book provides 101 of the most popular, well kno… (more)

I admit - cheese makes my world go round. So when I had the opportunity to review a book about making cheese, I jumped at the chance. “101 Recipes for Making Cheese: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply” was an enticing idea. While I was a little worried about the thought of actually having to create some of my favorites from scratch (what if I completely mess it up and get sick or what complicated steps would I have to attempt to follow?), author and cheese expert Cynthia M. Martin quickly put my fears to rest.

“101 Recipes for Making Cheese: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply” begins with an introduction of the many types of cheeses as well as a history of its accidental discovery. Both fascinating and fun, the book continues with what ingredients work best (and which don’t), a basic lesson in chemistry and how chemicals, cultures, and molds are a must, and what equipment you can expect to need and use. Martin spends some time on each subject, covering the important information but not weighing you down with every possible tidbit related to cheese. She begins her recipe section a mere 57 pages into her book so after only a short fundamental background, you are already on your way to making your first batch! She presents straightforward, crystal clear instructions on a myriad of cheeses. I absolutely love how she starts with super easy recipes for the beginner and builds onto the more involved while always maintaining that uncomplicated feel. Further, she divides her recipes into sections such as Semi-Firm, Ripened, Brine-Washed, Firm, and Blue Cheeses, giving a well-organized and professional impression of the book. She completes her work with sections on what wines and beer best compliment your creations, fondue, and how to start your own cheese making business. The book is simply a one stop shop of all things cheese!

“101 Recipes for Making Cheese: Everything You Need to Know Explained Simply” is a fun read for anyone interested in cooking but especially those concerned with what exactly goes into their food. What better way to feel confident that your cheese is made from the freshest ingredients, that there are no unexpected fillers, artificial flavors or colors, and are prepared with the highest standards than to do it yourself? Simple to follow recipes make the process especially enjoyable for children with adult supervision. Lactose sensitive or intolerant? Believe it or not, there are even ways to make your cheeses easier on your system! Author Cynthia M. Martin makes sure you will never look at mac and cheese the same way again!

Reviewed by Vicki Landes, author of “Europe for the Senses – A Photographic Journal” ( )
  travelvic | Jul 8, 2011 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,865,254 books! | Top bar: Always visible