Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries 3)…

Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries 3) (edition 2011)

by Anna Dean

Member:evareads
Title:Woman of Consequence (Dido Kent Mysteries 3)
Authors:Anna Dean
Info:Allison & Busby (2011), Paperback, 384 pages
Tags:historical, crime

A Woman of Consequence by Anna Dean

Another gripping book in the quartet of books. Beautifully plotted and you have to read every word if you wish to fu;lly understand her thinking and her sly Janeite humour.

A great treat. ( )
  dieseltaylor | May 4, 2018 |
Once again I skipped most all of the letters Miss Dido Kent wrote to her sister Eliza about the mystery.

Miss Dido Kent is a 30ish "spinster" who has a proclivity for solving mysteries, especially murders.... In this story a young woman has fallen down the stairs of a local ruined abbey after having seen a "ghost". When the pool next to the ruined abbey is drained the skeleton of a missing woman is found and Miss Dido Kent is there to investigate.

What is interesting is her relationship w/ Mr. Lomax... how they disagree on her manner of comportment while investigating the mysteries that surround her, not being that of a "proper" lady, but still care for each other and agree to disagree with each other.

I didn't like many of the characters, they just were nasty, but I'm thinking that social mores had a bit to do with how the characters behaved. Other than the characters and the letters, it was a very interesting mystery. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Miss Dido Kent works to solve the mystery of the ghost of the Grey Nun and what part she plays in past and current events.

I really love Dido and her family and friends and I have to say the author is very good at getting me to despise her villains and I enjoy how intricate and cross connected all of her mysteries are, I almost feel as though they shouldn't work, they are so involved and yet in the end the do.

I am finding myself getting a little tired of the back and forth between Dido and Mr. Lomax, their reasons for either getting together or not getting together no longer seem to make sense to me or to even feel in character. It is beginning to feel the same as a TV series will they won't they tease that never ends well. Either have them get together or not or at least come up with better reasons for them to keep dancing around each other.

My irritation with the love story aside this is another strong entry in the Dido Kent series and, as usual, I am looking forward to the next one. ( )
  Kellswitch | Nov 23, 2015 |
My dear Eliza,

I promised yesterday that just as soon as I had leisure for writing I should send you a full and satisfactory account of Penelope Lambe's accident at Madderstone Abbey; and so I shall begin upon it.

Madderstone Abbey, 1806. When Penelope Lambe suffers a bad fall in Madderstone Abbey, some are sure she must have seen the Grey Nun, the ghost reputed to walk the ruins. Miss Dido Kent is not convinced, and is determined to uncover the real cause of the accident. Then events take a sinister turn when a human skeleton is found nearby. The remains are identified as those of a Miss Elinor Fenn, and letters come to light which hint at the reason for her death. But is Miss Lambe's accident connected to this discovery? Did she see a ghostly warning? Or is there a rational explanation? Everyone is relying on Dido to find out.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:50 -0400)

On a visit to the ruins of Madderstone Abbey, Penelope Lambe suffers a bad fall and before she slips into unconscious, manages to say 'I saw her, it was her'. Some take these words to mean that Penelope saw the Grey Nun, the ghost reputed to haunt the abbey, but Miss Dido Kent is determined to find the real cause.… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,406,782 books! | Top bar: Always visible