The Crown in the Heather by N Gemini Sasson

The Crown in the Heather

by N Gemini Sasson, N. Gemini Sasson

In 1290, Scotland is without a king. Two families - the Bruces and the Balliols - vie for the throne. Robert the Bruce is in love with Elizabeth de Burgh, the daughter of an adherent of the ruthless Longshanks, King of England. In order to marry her and not give up his chances of someday becoming King of Scots, Robert must abandon his rebel ways and bide his time as Longshanks' vassal. But Edward, Longshanks' heir, doesn't trust the opportunistic Scotsman and vows to one day destroy him. While quietly plotting his rebellion, Robert is betrayed by one of his own and must flee Longshanks' vengeance. Aided by the unlikely brilliance of the soft-spoken young nobleman, James Douglas, Robert battles for his throne. Victory, though, is never certain and Robert soon learns that keeping his crown may mean giving up that which he loves most-his beloved Elizabeth.… (more)

3.5 Stars.

The Crown in the Heather is the first novel in N. Gemini Sasson's Bruce trilogy, a series of novels chronicling Robert the Bruce's rise to the Scottish throne and Scotland's fight for independence. Told from the perspectives of Robert the Bruce, James Douglas (a young Scottish nobleman) and Prince Edward of Caernavon, son and heir of King Edward I of England, the novel brings to life a period and place not commonly subjects of historical fiction.

This novel is well-written and the overall story engaging. In addition, the descriptive prose helps to create a solid sense of time and place. Nevertheless, the novel does have a few weaknesses, the most significant of which are Gemini Sasson's use of multiple narrators and her characterization of Robert the Bruce. Although I don't generally have an issue with multiple narrators, the shifts in narration were jarring rather than smooth, interrupting the flow of the story. As for the characterization of Robert the Bruce, the main protagonist of the novel, the reader doesn't get a strong sense of what drove him to become a rebel and seek Scotland's throne.

My final issue with the novel, which I don't consider a weakness as it is a matter of personal preference, relates to the book's lack of historical complexity. While I felt the history presented in the novel to be interesting, it was a little too simple for my tastes -- Scottish politics during this period were quite complex, but this novel makes it seem as if this wasn't so. In her author's note, Gemini Sasson does acknowledge that things were more complex than she has presented.

Despite my misgivings, I enjoyed the novel and look forward to reading the remainder of the trilogy. This novel should appeal to fans of historical fiction. ( )
  Melissa_J | Jan 16, 2016 |
interesting style where each chapter is a character speaking in first person ( )
  Kathy_Dyer | Jul 27, 2015 |
I stopped reading when I reached 21% on my tablet. I typically love historical fiction, but this was not to my taste. Most historical fiction contain a beautiful blend of romance, drama, action, and even sarcasm. This book felt like a reading documentary--not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm not that type of person who wants to read diaries/journals or documentaries. That's what the History Channel is for, right?

Definitely will avoid this author in the future.

caslater83 | Jul 24, 2015 |
This is the first of a trilogy about Robert the Bruce. It is the fourth of her historical novels I have read, but whereas I quite enjoyed her brace of novels about Isabella "the She Wolf" and Roger Mortimer, and her self-standing novel about Owain Glyndwr, I found this disappointing by comparison. The author again evokes the setting well, but I just couldn't care about any of the characters either on the Scottish or English side and found myself skimming parts of it, though it's a fairly short read at 285 pages. Disappointing and I probably won't bother with the sequels. ( )
  john257hopper | Jul 5, 2014 |
The Crown in the Heather is the story of Robert the Bruce. When Robbie is a small boy living is Scotland, his grandfather vies for the Scottish Crown, but loses it to John Balliol. Robert is disappointed to learn that his father doesn't long for the crown, but instead opposes the Balliol family by becoming a man of King Edward "Longshanks". To his father's disgrace, Robert follows down his grandfather's path and fights for an independent Scotland. Another young warrior for Scotland is James Douglas. His hatred for all things English takes root at the siege of Berwick. There his father, William Douglas, fights the English. When the battles ends, the town is destroyed and his father is imprisoned. James is sent to Paris to be educated, but instead languishes in the French City. Back in Scotland, Robert has become enamored with Elizabeth de Burgh, who is caring for his daughter. In order to marry her, he becomes Longshank's man. A threat of treason charges force Robert to once again fight for Scotland. James, now a man and Lord Douglas, too joins the fight for Scotland. Together, they face many tough times.
This is a fast paced book about Robert the Bruce and his quest to become King of Scotland. There are many battles, but the scenes aren't overly graphic, but still remain true to the realistic nature of the times. The characters are also extremely realistic. There are hotheads like John Comyn and even Robert; noble warriors such as James Douglas and William Wallace and even the cunning king in Longshanks. Since this is the first book in a trilogy, I expect to be entertained even more. I loved this book, as I recently have been interested in my own genealogy. According to the WWW, I have Scottish roots on my Adcock side YAY! I always knew it!
There is only one thing that I will caution readers about. This book switches POV's from James to Robert quite often. This wasn't a problem for me, but to some this is a downfall. ( )
  allisonmacias | Feb 10, 2012 |

N Gemini Sassonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sasson, N. Geminimain authorall editionsconfirmed
In memory of Phyllis Jean Sasson
Each night when I lie down, bathed in the rank sweat of a day's pressed march, I am so weary I neither stir nor dream in my sleep. (Prologue)
The autumn wind was murderous cold.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,744,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible