Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton

Hark! A Vagrant (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Kate Beaton (Author)

Member:groovygrl3
Title:Hark! A Vagrant
Authors:Kate Beaton (Author)
Info:Drawn and Quarterly (2011), Edition: First Edition, 160 pages
Collections:Signed Books, Your library

Hark! A Vagrant by Kate Beaton (2011)

You're All Just Jealous of My Jetpack: Cartoons by Tom Gauld (nessreader)
    nessreader: scratchy artwork combined with erudite topics; Beaton has more Canadian interest and history, and Gauld mixes up literary memes and silliness
    Snake 'n' Bacon's Cartoon Cabaret by Michael Kupperman (nilsr)

Silly Canadian humor :p ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
I could go overboard and post dozens of examples of Beaton's brand of literary and historical humor, but I'll contain myself. Instead, I'll share only the one that made a permanent fan of me:

I love the strip, and it was a lot of fun to be able to physically have the strips in front of me, but I had hoped for more from the book textually. The little comments that run on the bottom of the page were all originally posted beneath the comics in the first place. Still funny, just disappointing.

Can't be too picky though when I can find jokes about Emily Carr, Incroyables, Nancy Drew and Jay Gatsby in the same volume. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is a book of comic strips by a New Yorker cartoonist. She uses humor to go through some of history's greatest figures, and gives a funny look at history, literature, and science.

I found it.....meh. It had its funny parts, but it definitely wasn't laugh out loud comedy. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be. I did like that on many of the pages she had the background story of the person she was referencing in the comic. That by far made it easier to read. I got through it within about 2 hours, and that was that.

It was on our challenge list, so I read it. Would I recommend it? Nah. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
Hark! A Vagrant is one of the funniest, most intelligent comic strips out there. I had already read all of Kate Beaton's comics on her website, but I checked out this book 1. to increase its circulation at my library, and 2. because there's nothing like reading something you love in book format. I highly recommend this to absolutely everyone.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
THE BEST AND FUNNIEST COMIC EVER
SHE DREW ME A WATSON
I WILL CHERISH IT ALWAYS ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
AH YES, HISTORY BOOK!

"Hark! A Vagrant" takes readers on a romp through history and literature--with dignity for few and cookies for all--with comic strips about famous authors, their characters, and political and historical figures, all drawn in Kate Beaton's pared-down, excitable style. This collection features favorite stories as well as new, previously unpublished content. Whether she's writing about Nikola Tesla, Napoleon, or Nancy Drew, Beaton brings a refined sense of the absurd to every situation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible