First Grave on the Right by Darynda Jones

First Grave on the Right

by Darynda Jones

Series: Charley Davidson (1)

Using her ability to see ghosts in her work as a private investigator, Charley Davidson begins experiencing intense sensual dreams about a mysterious entity that has been following her throughout her life.

English (158)  Piratical (1)  All languages (159)
While this book has a similar feel to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series (one of my fluffier pleasures), I was dismayed by the violent portrayal of a sexual relationship. Aspects of the way it was written clearly qualify as sexual assault and rape, even though other interchanges are consensual. I might have been interested in continuing the series for character development and humor. I won't now. ( )
  joyblue | Oct 3, 2019 |
5 stars

I had no idea what to expect with this book, only that it sounded intriguing and different from what I've been reading lately. And boy, was I not so positively surprised by this book.

When I was smiling and almost laughing my ass off right from the start, I knew I was gonna enjoy reading the first story of Charley's series. The sarcasm and attitude of this woman are utterly unbelievable, and you cannot help but love her for it. She's downright reckless and on more than one occasion you end up questioning her sanity and your own for keeping up with her, but that's probably what made me love this book so much. I didn't know you could pack a book with that many snarky comments and so much banter before, to be honest. That seemed almost too much, at times. Almost. I guess you just love it or hate it. And boy did I love it.

I fairly enjoyed the ride because this is really well written and the plot keeps you real entertained and attached to the book. There are so many crime aspects to it, and mystery upon mustery to unveil, after all. It was a bit blurry at times, though, because so much seems to be happening all the time and you get a bit lost with the current and past events and investigations, yet I feel like I'm left with more questions than answers now. There's still so much to learn about who Charley is exactly, what she can do, and what the others can do as well. I mean, how the hell did Angel manage to pull on Ubie's tie? Is he not immaterial and all that?

The characters. Damn, they were good. Almost all of them, seriously, even the ones we didn't get a chance to see for really long. Cookie is the first one to come to mind (sorry Reyes, you're only a distant second). That woman, damn. How is it possible she seems only to navigate around Charley and no one else pays her attention? That woman is pure gold. Although I'm still not entirely sure what her job actually is (Charley's assistant?), she sure has to handle a lot and she does it with near perfection. I'm impressed. Her addiction to coffee will definitely be the death of her, though.
I can't wait to see more of Angel, Rocket and Amber, to only name a few. You get introduced to so many different characters in that book that on one or two occasions I had trouble following, but it was really ok, though. I love them all to pieces, villains and gangsters included.

Last but not least, the "quotes" beginning each chapter are pure gold. Just sayin'.

Even though I think this book would find a good place on my favorites' shelf, not every single thing in this book was awesome. I guess the ending felt a bit underwhelming, after everything that happened before. And Charley seems kinda childish at times as well. But I can definitely go past those faults and keep on reading. So many questions need answers, after all!

I would definitely recommend this book for lovers of crime, action and humour, with quite a certain touch of paranormal/fantasy as well. ( )
  AnaelleG | Jul 28, 2019 |
It was fun, and funny and action packed. Cookie is awesome! I will read on for sure. ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
I liked this much better the 2nd time, maybe I was in a weird mood last time. It was funny and had a lot going on and some really good smutty scenes! ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
Sex and the City set in New Mexico - with ghosts. Another good plot gone bad due to stupid writing. ( )
  Citizenjoyce | Apr 23, 2019 |

Jones, Daryndaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I'd been having the same dream for the past month - the one where a dark stranger materialized out of smoke and shadows to play doctor with me.
"I know what kind of man it takes to get involved with something as barbarous as human trafficking."
"I get it, Swopes. He's not the kind of man you take home to meet your stepmom." I rethought that. "Wait a minute. Maybe my stepmom would like to meet him. Do you think he ships to Istanbul?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,749,550 books! | Top bar: Always visible