Aftermath: Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars:…

Aftermath: Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens (edition 2015)

by Chuck Wendig (Author)

As the Empire reels from its critical defeats at the Battle of Endor, the Rebel Alliance--now a fledgling New Republic--presses its advantage by hunting down the enemy's scattered forces before they can regroup and retaliate. But above the remote planet Akiva, an ominous show of the enemy's strength is unfolding. Out on a lone reconnaissance mission, pilot Wedge Antilles watches Imperial Star Destroyers gather like birds of prey circling for a kill, but he's taken captive before he can report back to the New Republic leaders. Meanwhile, on the planet's surface, former rebel fighter Norra Wexley has returned to her native world--war weary, ready to reunite with her estranged son, and eager to build a new life in some distant place. But when Norra intercepts Wedge Antilles's urgent distress call, she realizes her time as a freedom fighter is not yet over. What she doesn't know is just how close the enemy is--or how decisive and dangerous her new mission will be. Determined to preserve the Empire's power, the surviving Imperial elite are converging on Akiva for a top secret emergency summit--to consolidate their forces and rally for a counterstrike. But they haven't reckoned on Norra and her newfound allies--her technical-genius son, a Zabrak bounty hunter, and a reprobate Imperial defector--who are prepared to do whatever they must to end the Empire's oppressive reign once and for all.… (more)
Member:Zerpified
Title:Aftermath: Star Wars: Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Authors:Chuck Wendig (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2015), Edition: Original, 400 pages

Work Information

Aftermath by Chuck Wendig

I have always loved the Star Wars universe especially the novels that were written about it. While Timothy Zahn definitely writes my favorite books I do quite enjoy the other books as well and this one is no exception. These are books I have read multiple times over the years and still thoroughly enjoy. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
The rotating perspective made it difficult to get into. It took a long time for me to be able to keep the characters straight. The last third of the book was entertaining though and I'm looking forward to following these characters into the following books. ( )
  Faramir53530 | Jul 12, 2021 |
Two stars might be a bit much. I mean, I never actively hated this book, and there were moments I enjoyed it, but at the 3/4 point I was actively avoiding going to be because I didn't want to continue reading. That's no way to feel about a book.

Too much in-crowd joking from the author, and too much reliance on the "universe" jargon. Yeah. Nerf-herder. Got it. Hasn't been funny since the original movie came out, when I was four.

I told my wife that this was one of those books that read like it was about to pull all these threads together, but just couldn't figure out how. Since I didn't finish it, i guess I'll never know, and I'll just have to learn to live with it. ( )
  allan.nail | Jul 11, 2021 |
wow! There was quite a bit of stuff going on during this period falling the fall of the second Death Star, and I really enjoyed this part of the story following it. We have some new characters to hourly file in some further adventures, as well as being with a few we have known for years. Wendig has done a great job! It's listed as "Aftermath #1" so maybe a couple more stories will follow this one! ( )
  Ralphd00d | May 4, 2021 |
The book has its problems, but it was okay. It has a lot to live up to, with the "Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens" tagline emblazoned across the top, and I think realizing that it's the first book of a trilogy helps to explain – if not wholly satisfy – some of the underwhelmingness of the story. Yes, the characters could be better developed, but we know we're going to get more of them.

Also, I'm not sure how much my own ignorance of New Canon Star Wars hurts my reading of this novel. To date, I've only read [b:A New Dawn|411448|A New Dawn|Jack Weyland|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1257977099s/411448.jpg|400710], and I'm entirely unfamiliar with the Clone Wars and Rebels cartoons. I was glad to see Rae Sloane return, this time as an admiral, but her character seems to me still to be too hesitant and questioning of her own abilities – closer to Capt. Pallaeon than Grand Admiral Thrawn, if you will admit the comparison.

And of course, such comparisons are begging to be made. Although apparently closer in time to the Battle of Endor than Zahn's post-RotJ trilogy, the situation of Aftermath is very similar to the situation of [b:Heir to the Empire|216443|Heir to the Empire (Star Wars The Thrawn Trilogy, #1)|Timothy Zahn|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1398253847s/216443.jpg|1133995]: the Rebel Alliance has (or is trying to) become the New Republic, while Admiral Ackbar is still leading the military struggle against the remnants of the Empire, which itself is beset by internal bickering about who will be the new leader, even while a mysterious person of quality has risen to power and is pulling strings to solidify that power. The broad situational strokes are, necessarily, the same, and my thoughts inevitably kept turning toward the difference between how the two stories were handled.

In tone, the biggest difference is that the Thrawn stories gave us a wide-angle view of the galaxy throughout its story, not merely showing us what was going on in different places, but also how our favorite characters were faring in the wake (I almost wrote "aftermath") of their having killed the Emperor and his probable successor, Vader. Aftermath takes a different approach, with the majority of the action taking place on a single planet or immediately above it. While there's certainly a value into looking at local conflicts like this and the effects it has on people, I think the thing that Aftermath loses in this approach is the very space operatic feel that make the original Star Wars movies so grand.

At heart, I think Wendig (and the PTBs at Disney controlling story continuity) had to be conscious of this loss – and hence, the interludes. Ah, the interludes, the literary equivalent of Lucas' tacky post-exploding-Death-Star celebration montage in the Special Edition of Return of the Jedi. They give us glimpses with no context of Things Happening Elsewhere, none of which appear to have any bearing whatsoever on the story at hand. Given that they don't move the story along even a bit, one has to wonder why they exist. The congenial response is that they are explicative vignettes to show how various people and planets are faring in a confusing and tumultuous galaxy after its government has collapsed; the cynic in me thinks that they're merely advertisements for future books. Tell me we're not going to get a book about Han Solo and Chewie liberating Kashyyyk... I mean, hell, I'd love to read that book – I want to read that book much more than I wanted to read Aftermath. But I don't want a commercial about it in this story. All of the interludes work basically as prologues to future potential stories, and as such they are interruptive to this story. Frankly, I'd recommend skipping them altogether.

There are plot points that could be picked apart, but all in all, getting past the stuff above, it's a workhorse story that gets us from point A to B, and sets us up for the next book in the series. Admittedly, I am curious to see how Norra and team (I suppose I think of her as the leader, now?) will fare in in the future, so I can't say with good conscience that the story was wholly uninteresting, even if there were a few too many "Oh my god, she/he is dead! Oh, wait, no she/he's not..." moments. (It's a surprise vs. surprisingness thing, for you CSL fans....) So even though I didn't particularly like Wendig's writing style — ZOMG STOP WITH THE PRESENT TENSE — or his willy-nilly use of punctuation, I suspect I'll read the follow-up stories.

Which puts me into a weird place, because until now I wasn't really sure about the New Canon stuff. I'm certainly not as excited about it as I was as a high schooler reading Zahn's trilogy for the first time, but it's growing on me. I'm just not sure whether that growth is symbiotic or parasitic, yet.... ( )
  octoberdad | Dec 16, 2020 |

Chuck Wendigprimary authorall editionscalculated
Franklin, Marysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Thompson, MarcReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Tracy for taking me to see my first Star Wars movie
(The Empire Strikes Back at a drive-in theater!

To Mom for buying me all those sweet Kenner toys.

To Michelle and to Ben for going along on this crazy speeder ride with me and making it ten times as awesome as it already is.
Then:
Monument Plaza.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 165,914,051 books! | Top bar: Always visible