The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle…

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

by Michelle Hodkin

1,7391916,189 (3.95)21

English (189)  Italian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (191)
I enjoyed reading this book. The plot moved along quickly. I wanted to find out what happened to Mara in the asylum, and the flashback teases worked well in maintaining my interest. I loved her brothers, they seemed almost perfect.

Noah, the love interest, seemed a little unlikeable to me. But I guess his magnetism and their special "connection" kept bringing them together. The story moved steadily until close to the end, when suddenly it leapt into the paranormal realm. The last couple chapters were not good for me. Mara makes too many stupid and rash decisions. And the last chapter left me feeling confused. It seemed like just an abrupt set up for a sequel.

Overall, I liked the book. It was a fast, interesting read.

I received an ARC of this book for free from the goodreads first reads program. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Thank you, Rachel Joy! I haven't slept properly for two days as a result, but I'm finished, and WOW, all I can say is wow. It was an exciting crazy ride.

The end is a total cliff hanger though, so if you hate that kind of thing... ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
Great book but I really didn't like the ending ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |
This book was not what I expected it would be. Mara Dyer is in a terrible accident that took the lives if her friends. Since then, she begins experiencing strange hallucinations and people around her keep dying. She makes friends with Noah, who seems to understand her. The book went in a direction I was not expecting, which was kind of nice. Sometimes the book was frustrating to read, because I just wanted to know what was happening. Poor Mara, to be experiencing all that and not sure if you're crazy. I liked Noah and his sweet he was to Mara. She also had pretty cool brothers who helped her out and were never mean. The story was definitely intriguing. ( )
  AlyP59 | Apr 25, 2019 |
This book honestly is probably more 4 stars but it's a case of perfect book at a perfect time so I'm going to go with 5.

So I like paranormal/urban fantasy books but lately all I've been reading is NA contemporary. I don't know if anyone else has notices but paranormal books are always written differently then contemporary books, they tend to feel more angsty for lack of a better word. I just don't understand why there aren't authors who write books like 'oh we're going to college and it's all normal, oh he's a shifter, shrug, cool' why do UF and paranormal books have to be weighted down with sense of drama and pretentiousness?

Well Hodkin did a descent job of answering that need (not in a romcom type way definitely still serious) for most of the book I was convinced the 'fantasy' label on Goodreads was a mistake... and I loved it! I loved that it seemed like a normal book where the MC is dealing with PTSD, because spoiler IRL if crazy shit happens, you're going to think you're crazy too!!!!

Mara is a great MC not spineless but she isn't all 'i don't need help! I'm perfect!' I mean she's supposed to be 16 so seeing her trying to be strong but making mistakes and leaning on help was true to form. Honestly I'm just jonesing for the next book and can't wait to see what's next! ( )
  NerdyHousewifey | Feb 1, 2019 |
The ornate script on the board twisted in the candlelight, making the letters and numbers dance in my head.

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

Seventeen-year-old Mara cannot remember the accident that took the lives of three of her friends but, after moving from Rhode Island to Florida, finding love with Noah, and more deaths, she realizes uncovering something buried in her memory might save her family and her future.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,552,245 books! | Top bar: Always visible