The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (1) (The Mara…

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (1) (The Mara Dyer Trilogy) (edition 2011)

by Michelle Hodkin (Author)

Series: Mara Dyer (1)

2,0992015,812 (3.93)21
Seventeen-year-old Mara cannot remember the accident that took the lives of three of her friends but, after moving from Rhode Island to Florida, finding love with Noah, and more deaths, she realizes uncovering something buried in her memory might save her family and her future.
Member:BrittneySalazar
Title:The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (1) (The Mara Dyer Trilogy)
Authors:Michelle Hodkin (Author)
Info:Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (2011), Edition: First Edition, 464 pages

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

English (199)  Italian (1)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (201)
What can I say about Mara? Well, she certainly seemed crazy in beginning of the book but as I read I got to know her better and something very mysterious happened so keeps seeing dead people. Noah is the handsome, English guy that you know Mara is supposed to have a crush for but by the end of the book you realise that he has his own secret and he and Mara are really meant for each other. She kills and he heals :) 4 out of 5 stars and I really can't wait to read the next book in the series. ( )
  _Marcia_94_ | Sep 21, 2021 |
What I Loved: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is one of those books you need a day with nothing planned to read. It will suck you in and refuse to let you go until the very last word. I think what I loved the most was that I was never 100% sure what was going on. It kept me guessing and I really enjoyed that. I don’t want to go in to too much detail because I would hate to give anything away. I did enjoy the relationship between Mara and Noah. Noah balances Mara in a way that makes them absolutely perfect for each other.

What I Could Have Lived Without: Hmmmmm…..This is a fine line and I want to make sure that I express myself correctly. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer deals with post traumatic stress disorder. I do have a close family member who struggles with this. *BIG SPOILER**********************************************************************YOU’VE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only problem that I really had was that I was never sure if Mara had PTSD and this supernatural power, if the supernatural power caused the PTSD or if they are two 100% different events happening to Mara at the same time. *If you’ve read the book and have an opinion on this, email me at stephanie (at) onceuponachapter (dot) com and tell me what you think! Please don’t leave any spoilers in the comments. :) **********END SPOILER************

Recommended For: Readers who enjoy the type of roller coaster rides where you’re in the dark for 90% of the time and then the ending is revealed in a bright glorious sunshiny day.

Avoid If: Complex plot lines and a sense of never being sure annoy you as a reader. ( )
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
teen fiction; supernatural romance. I'd taken a break from this genre for a while and hadn't intended to come back this soon but this was actually really good--Hodkin has a great deal of skill in sustaining the suspense and mystery surrounding her characters (and they are a bit angsty, but not overly much so, compared to other teenage characters in other books). The next book in the series was also recently released to some acclaim. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
What a very interesting book.

It was well-written, in the sense that, along with Mara, the reader doesn't know what's real and what's not, what's hallucination. Even after finishing, it continues to have a dream-like quality.

I didn't like Noah at the beginning, but he definitely grew on me, and I really like him now. I think he's good for Mara, even if Mara doesn't want to take the chance with him.

This is the first of a series, and, while I think it could stand alone if you can live with the cliffhanger, the curious mind will have to look into book 2. ( )
  ssperson | Apr 3, 2021 |
Rating: 70% (3.5 stars) ( )
  melonah | Jan 9, 2021 |
The ornate script on the board twisted in the candlelight, making the letters and numbers dance in my head.

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.

She's wrong.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,528,558 books! | Top bar: Always visible