Espwa Pou Ayiti (Hope for Haiti) by Jesse…

Espwa Pou Ayiti (Hope for Haiti) (edition 2010)

by Jesse Joshua Watson, Jesse Joshua Watson (Illustrator)

A young boy finds hope when he is given an old soccer ball to play with in the wake of Haiti's devastating earthquake.
Member:GreenBranch
Title:Espwa Pou Ayiti (Hope for Haiti)
Authors:Jesse Joshua Watson
Other authors:Jesse Joshua Watson (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2010), Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:bilingual, Haiti, Haitian Creole, soccer

Hope for Haiti by Jesse Joshua Watson

This book takes us back to when the big earthquake happened in Haiti. People were taken to a soccer stadium and there they made shelters. Children being children enjoyed a little bit of soccer to was their minds a bit. A man sees them playing with a ball made of rags and goes into his small shelter and brings back a soccer ball that is signed by Manno Sanon. This man says something that was very powerful "We can let go of the past, right now we need to think about the future, and the future is you." I thought that this was something great to include in a children's book, because children are a big part of our future. ( )
  K_Rodriguez | Nov 26, 2014 |
In my opinion, “Hope for Haiti” is an excellent multicultural book that teaches children about the disaster in Haiti. The best parts of the story are the plot, writing, and overall message. The plot in this story is suspenseful and melancholy. In the beginning of "Hope for Haiti," the disaster had just occurred. The writing in the book is descriptive and emotional. For example, the boy says, “When the earth shook and took away my neighborhood, I thought I would never be happy again. Wailing filled my ears. Dust filled my nose. Tears filled my eyes.” The boy and his mother go to a soccer stadium where they make a home out of some sheets, tin, and six posts. Many people live at this soccer stadium, and they fight for food that is brought to them by “men in blue hats.” The boy meets an older man who talks to him about soccer. He says that he thinks the boy could become a famous soccer player. They begin to play soccer together with a bunch of rags tied up. The man gives him a soccer ball to play with (one that had been signed by a famous soccer player, Manno Sanon). At the end of the story, the boy makes a goal with the soccer ball. This book states that there is hope for the boy and other people who live in Haiti. This book is very thought-provoking, and it pushes readers to broaden their perspectives about having hope after a catastrophe. The big idea is to teach children about the struggle of people in Haiti. ( )
  sstelz2 | Oct 30, 2014 |
This book is great for children. The book takes place in Haiti right after the earthquake occurred. The children in the book play soccer with a bunch of cloth and bags bundled into a ball. Even though it isn’t exactly how children in America play, it shows them that children all over the world are playing the same games as them. For example, one quote from the book is, “We juggle the ball, trying to keep it off the ground.” This is the same thing that children in America and so many other countries do. I also liked the main character of the book. He is a young child and many young boys could relate to him in certain ways whether it is with soccer or with how he interacts with friends and family. The main idea of this book would be friendship and hope. ( )
  david.endres | Oct 8, 2014 |
I loved this book. The author wanted to know what he could do about the disaster in Haiti and he decided to write a book. The book is fantastic and it is perfect to show the classroom for diversity. It shows the children what Haiti is like in a fun tone without the sadness. The pictures of the characters are fun and enjoyable. It shows us a little bit into the worlds that we don't get to see often. ( )
  jaelynculliford | Oct 2, 2014 |
A good book that teaches its readers about another culture. The protagonist of the story is a young Haitian Boy who helps his poor mother build a home in the soccer stadium. The boy and his friends start to dribble a rag ball training himself. A man, who looks like a Captain, rushes to support this boy and his friends. He ends up giving them an official soccer ball signed by a famous Haitian soccer player. With this better quality soccer ball, the boy and his friends play with more enthusiasm and the game becomes more intense. Then the boy gets the privilege of wearing the uniform that official soccer players wear and makes a goal. A good book for 3-5 graders which talks about a boy with hope. ( )
  sabdelaz | Feb 9, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,376,579 books! | Top bar: Always visible