Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from…

Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New… (2011)

by Peggy Orenstein

An amazing book, and much more intelligent than the vapid cover art and subtitle suggest. Orenstein discusses the impact of cultural and media influences on today's girls - everything from Disney Princesses to the color pink to social networking sites. The author asks questions like, Is the new emphasis of femininity and girlishness empowering to girls or does it teach them that looks and fashion are the only things that matter? This book constantly dropped bombshells on me about the marketing industry and their crafty ways. Did you know that babies weren't always color-coded by gender - that white used to be the standard baby color until the 1930s, when a marketing scheme decided that children should be separated by pink and blue, in order to double clothing sales? And that the term "tween" was also coined by clothing companies? (I could have guessed that.) I recommend this book to any woman, mother or not.
  aratiel | Sep 5, 2018 |
I'm going to be really picky here, but how do I trust someone who is supposed to have "read the research" and gets major points wrong? In the chapter entitled "It's All About the Cape" she calls Big Barda's husband Mr. Miracle a milquetoast - she is stronger than him and very protective of him, but that does not mean he is weak. She also asserts that Wonder Woman's mother is Hera - the queen of the Amazons. sigh. That would be Hippolyta. Hera is the wife of Zeus - a goddess and considered the queen of the Greek gods.

That said, while the book was interesting I don't understand the angst about raising a daughter. I think I've done a pretty good job with my daughter (who will be 15 this year) without beating myself up about her toy/movie/literature choices. She went through a pink and purple faze - waving a wand and wearing a tiara. She moved on to horses - because the movie Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron captured her imagination more than the straight to DVD Cinderella II release. It didn't hurt that Lilo and Stitch was Disney's offering that year...

Becka had Barbies. So did her big brother Daniel. But I didn't worry that playing with Barbie would give her unreal expectations about herself. Honestly, I don't remember ever having the same kind of worries Ms. Orenstein has about her daughter. I just did what felt right and offered my daughter many options to choose from. She learned early on that I usually wouldn't succumb to her requests for a toy, but I could always be talked into buying her a book or kid's magazine. While I didn't always love her choices, unless they were too mature for her, I let her pick what she wanted.

She has grown into a mature young woman with a strong sense of herself and isn't obsessed with her looks or boys. Okay, this has turned more into a story about my daughter than a book review. I guess I could have summed it up with one word - meh.

Update on review: My daughter made it through high school unscathed and is now a college sophomore. She still does not buy into some people's expectations of how she should behave because of her gender. And I still believe blaming the princess culture for your daughter being a girly-girl who limits her own choices is too simplistic. ( )
  AWahle | Jun 1, 2018 |
Growing up as a grrl, I have been dismayed to watch subsequent generations of young women embrace stilettos and gone-wild-self-objectification. It's difficult to understand. Orenstein, being of my generation, explores the girlie-girl territory with brave skepticism. The title, I think is unfortunate, as it sounds like light-weight cynicism, but the book is much smarter than that. It ranges across the terrain of girls' role models, touching on princesses, Miley, Barbie, Wonder Woman and more, citing sales figures and statistics that sometimes alarm. This book should be basic reading for anyone trying to understand womanhood and feminism as it looks today. ( )
  DFratini | Apr 23, 2018 |
Recommended to me by the sister of a friend (or rather, recommended for my brother and I read it while he put it off) because of the Sarkeesian uproar. The author, who has previously written on girl culture at the adolescent level, finds herself face-to-face with girlie-girl culture after the birth of her daughter. She then examines the rise of princesses/pinkification/sparkles/etc. that has grown over the last 20 years or so. Makes it very apparent that navigating the fluff'nstuff is hard for today's mom- give in to what your child wants, or avoid princesses at the risk of marking 'feminine' as 'bad'? ( )
  Daumari | Dec 30, 2017 |
ugh, it isn't often that I begin reading a book and take an instant dislike to the author...I have now. I hope I can manage to finish this one for book group....

I really can't begin to say how much this author and her book annoyed me. Maybe my one star rating tells it all? I think she was trying to come off a little tongue in cheek, but mostly came off as smug and a bit of a know-it-all.

You can certainly figure out what demographic she falls into and know instantly that this class of parent is way too worried about how their children are going to turn out, rather than enjoying their lives as the go along. ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
Orenstein skillfully integrates extensive research that demonstrates the pitfalls of "the girlie-girl culture's emphasis on beauty and play-sexiness," which can increase girls' vulnerability to depression, distorted body images and eating disorders, and sexual risks. It's the personal anecdotes, though, which are delivered with wry, self-deprecating, highly quotable humor, that offer the greatest invitation to parents to consider their daughters' worlds and how they can help to shape a healthier, soul-nurturing environment
added by sduff222 | editBooklist, Gillian Engberg (Jan 1, 2011)

Peggy Orensteinprimary authorall editionscalculated
King, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ruoto, WilliamDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Bree, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Daisy
Here is my dirty little secret: as a journalist, I have spent nearly two decades writing about girls, thinking about girls, talking about how girls should be raised.
Portions of this book appeared in altered form in The New York Times Magazine.

Contents:

Why I hoped for a boy -- What's wrong with Cinderella? -- Pinked! -- What makes girls, girls? -- Sparkle, sweetie! -- Guns and (briar) roses -- Wholesome to whoresome: the other Disney princesses -- It's all about the cape -- Virtually me -- Girl power-no, really.

The author explores her own conflicting feelings as a mother as she protects her offspring and probes the roots and tendrils of the girlie-girl movement and concludes that parents who think through their values early on and set reasonable limits, encourage dialogue and skepticism, and are canny about the consumer culture can combat the 24/7 "media machine" aimed at girls and hold off the focus on beauty, materialism, and the color pink somewhat.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,836,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible