Daughter of Smoke and Bone: The Sunday Times…

Daughter of Smoke and Bone: The Sunday Times Bestseller. Daughter of Smoke… (edition 2001)

by Laini Taylor (Author)

Member:akehoe
Title:Daughter of Smoke and Bone: The Sunday Times Bestseller. Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy Book 1
Authors:Laini Taylor (Author)
Info:Hodder Paperback (2001)

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

Chime by Franny Billingsley (LDiIonno)
    LDiIonno: Similar in the beauty of the writing, wonderful characters we care deeply about, sly humor, fabulous dialogue.
    Eyes Like Stars by Lisa Mantchev (bluehighlighter)
    The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson (faither)
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (tralliott)
    Angels' Blood by Nalini Singh (avalon_today)
    avalon_today: Both have sexy arrogant warrior winged beings. But one is more explicit than the other, can you guess?

English (448)  Italian (2)  German (1)  All languages (451)
I picked this up because I have heard good things about this book, and the cover art is gorgeous. I really liked the first part of the book. Karou was a great character. I loved seeing her as a teen trying to navigate the human world but feeling like she doesn't really belong. Once she had her memories restored and realized who she really is, the story started getting boring. Karou and Akiva's back story was not so interesting. Not really feeling any motivation to finish the series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Fun and clever, I really enjoyed it. Thanks, Misha! ( )
  Amelia1989 | Jun 10, 2019 |
This is my second attempt at reading this book. I really, really tried. Truly.

Karou is a blue-haired art student in Prague. In between art classes, she traffics teeth--animal and human--for monstrous chimaeras who raised her from infancy. In exchange she gets beads and coins that she can spend on wishes, great and small.

This is one of the best premises I've ever heard. Seriously, that sounds awesome. And the first half of Daughter of Smoke & Bone is awesome. Karou is a wonderful heroine, and her world, both the real and the fantastic, is gorgeously and vividly rendered. I love the image of Karou attempting to haul a giant pair of elephant tusks on the Paris subway, or the stunning descriptions of Prague's rooftops. There's humor, excitement, action, and horror.

And then the second half kicks in, and the book. just. stops. in. its. tracks.

This was where I gave up the first time. This time, I tried to power through, but it gets worse and worse the farther in you get.

Akiva is a nonentity. The exposition drop is clumsy. The instalove is instastupid. The whole back story about the angels and chimaeras is dumb. The random Hebrew thrown in for show pushes some very specific buttons of mine.

I really wish this book had lived up to its first half. It could have been amazing.
1 vote miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
Karou is an art student in Prague, with a side job as a secret agent fetching teeth for a demon who has secret doors to cities all over the world. I like them weird and exotic and this one doesn't disappoint. The long draw out to the reveal got a little annoying, but it's an exciting fantasy tale of star-crossed lovers and I'll be reading/listening to the rest for sure. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
I hesitated between a 3 or 4 stars rating. I like Laini Taylor's style but it felt more enchanting, poetic in Lips Touch. And she used a pet peeve of mine: there's a long return in the past in the book. Of course a lot is explained in that big flash-back but it's something I really don't like in a book. That said, I enjoyed it a lot and the ending is heart-wrenching. Has to read the second book now :) ( )
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |

Taylor, Lainiprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hvam, KhristineNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Audio, HachettePublishersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bernstein, LeaPhotographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Caplan, DaveCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Impey, AllisonDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Santen, Gert vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love. It did not end well.
Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day.
Humanity, perhaps, that quality of benevolence that humans have, without irony, named after themselves.
She tastes like nectar and salt. Nectar and salt and apples. Pollen and stars and hinges. She tastes like fairy tales. Swan maidens at midnight. Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue. She tastes like hope.
Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes it own magic.
If it's not chocolate, it's not breakfast.
Evanescence was not, in itself, a grim fate. It was the way of things, to be unmade; it happened in natural death, every day.

Karou leads double
life: art student and errand
girl for wishmonger.
(passion4reading)
A fantastic tale
of teeth exchanged for wishes
and forbidden love.
(passion4reading)

Seventeen-year-old Karou, a lovely, enigmatic art student in a Prague boarding school, carries a sketchbook of hideous, frightening monsters--the chimaerae who form the only family she has ever known.

Laini Taylor is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

is also the author Laini Taylor.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,642,716 books! | Top bar: Always visible