Cold Vengeance by Douglas Preston

Cold Vengeance

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child, Preston & Child (Author)

Series: Pendergast (11)

English (55)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (60)
Sometimes, when an author I like has written a lot of books, I lose track of which ones I have read. I should have read [b:Fever Dream|7122034|Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)|Douglas Preston|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1275757940s/7122034.jpg|7383328] before reading this one. I thought I had, but after starting Cold Vengeance I realized that it referred to many things that had happened in Fever Dream that I didn't know about. Still, not knowing exactly what happened previously did not ruin my enjoyment of this one.

Agent Pendergast continues to be an enigma. He has an almost supernatural bearing about him and seems undefeatable. Constance is back in this book, which I like, and so is Corrie from [b:Still Life With Crows|39033|Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)|Douglas Preston|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1169235780s/39033.jpg|38754]. I like Corrie a lot, and the ending of this book was a cliff hanger for both her and Pendergast. I wish there had been more resolution to the story, but I guess we will have to wait until the next book to find out what happens.

This book was fast paced and exciting. It features some truly evil villains, a secret organization and conspiracies going back to the Nazis. It is a good addition to the Pendergast series, but I would recommend reading the series in order if possible. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
Aloysius Pendergast doesn't disappoint!
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
Another great read in the Pendergast series. While some of these books aren't always a 5-star read, they're still incredibly enjoyable and I always find myself looking to grab the next one of the series at Barnes & Noble when it gets released each year. Hats off to Pendergast and all of his investigations. ( )
  justagirlwithabook | Aug 2, 2018 |
It's hard to give a Pendergast book anything other than a 4 star note, but I am, admittedly, getting a bit tired of the cliffhanger endings...still, Pendergast is as interesting a character as there is in modern crime fiction and he stays fascinating. Fatigued or no I'll probably keep reading them. ( )
  Jamski | Jul 18, 2018 |
While a major improvement over the last book I am still less than thrilled with the Helen trilogy. It seems to have forgotten everything about the series I loved. It has turned Pendergast into a bumbling fool. I know the next book is the last of the set. I really hope they figure this out or I am going to have to stop reading one of my favorite series.

CSDaley | Mar 28, 2018 |

Preston, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Preston & ChildAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Velzen, Marjolein vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lincoln Child dedicates this book to his daughter, Veronica

Douglas Preston dedicates this book to Marguerite, Laura, and Oliver Preston
Cairn Barrow, Scotland
As they mounted the barren shoulder of Beinn Dearg, the great stone lodge of Kilchurn vanished into the darkness, leaving only the soft yellow glow of its windows tingeing the misty air.

Devastated by the discovery that his wife, Helen, was murdered, Special Agent Pendergast must have retribution. But revenge is not simple. As he stalks his wife's betrayers-a chase that takes him from the wild moors of Scotland to the bustling streets of New York City and the darkest bayous of Louisiana-he is also forced to dig further into Helen's past. And he is stunned to learn that Helen may have been a collaborator in her own murder.

Peeling back the layers of deception, Pendergast realizes that the conspiracy is deeper, goes back generations, and is more monstrous than he could have ever imagined-and everything he's believed, everything he's trusted, everything he's understood . . . may be a horrific lie.

"A bonding trip for Pendergast and his brother-in-law, Judson Esterhazy, turns violent. Before abandoning a mortally-wounded Pendergast, Esterhazy announces his sister, Pendergast's long-dead wife Helen, is alive"--Provided by publisher.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,551,572 books! | Top bar: Always visible