Song of Susannah: The Dark Tower VI by…

Song of Susannah: The Dark Tower VI (edition 2004)

by Stephen King, Darrel Anderson (Illustrator)

Member:mmitchell262
Title:Song of Susannah: The Dark Tower VI
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Darrel Anderson (Illustrator)
Info:Donald M. Grant/Scribner (2004), Edition: 1st Trade Ed, Hardcover, 432 pages
Tags:Stephen King-The Dark Tower Series

Song Of Susannah by Stephen King

English (104)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (110)
Song of Susannah is the sixth novel in The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

Plot:
The ka-tet make their way to our world, but they are split up. Susannah, sharing her body with Mia and her baby, heads for New York, and Jake, Father Callahan and Oy follow them, hoping to catch up before the birth. Meanwhile, Eddie and Roland go to Maine to make sure that they get ownership of the lot where the rose grows to keep it safe. But things don't quite work out the way as planned.

I am not a huge fan of mystical pregnancies, so Song of Susannah was a bit of a drag in that department, but there was also a lot of pretty awesome meta stuff that I absolutely loved.

Read more on my blog (with SPOILERS): http://kalafudra.com/2018/01/28/song-of-susannah-stephen-king/ ( )
  kalafudra | Oct 21, 2018 |
This one went a little faster as I was anxious to continue the suzannah/Mia story. I also am getting anxious to find out if they actually reach the dark tower and what they find. Though the books move a little slow for my taste, I love the way he weaves all the world's together. I love they way he references his other books such as 11/22/63, Salem's lot, the stand, etc, as well as other great novels. And for writer to actually make himself one of the characters in his own story! OMG!! Only Stephen King could get away with that. Let's just say it added a whole other level of spooky to the story. Well, on to the last book! Hopefully it goes as fast. ( )
  kkranig | Sep 4, 2018 |
Dark Tower just doesn't stop wowing me. ( )
  _rixx_ | Aug 30, 2018 |
As the sixth installment of the Dark Tower series, the reader starts to feel like they're climbing a mountain and they're almost at the top. Almost, but not quite. Fortunately, the pace picks up a lot in Song of Susannah and we get to see the story from Susannah and Pere Callahan's POV, a nice change of perspective.

Sadly, at the end of Song of Susannah, we aren't really any further along than we were in the previous book. At the end, Susannah is in labor, they're no closer to the Dark Tower, black thirteen is still a problem. A lot of things have just been on pause, and we have to wait until book seven for anything to get resolved.

It really bugs me that Stephen King is a character in his own book, though. You know, I understand why he's doing it. The explanation is fantastic, but it's just so egocentric. I get that he's quite famous and an incredibly prolific writer, and he's probably one of the few people who can afford to do something like this... but I'm not crazy about it.

All that said, though, it's a decent book. The pace is a nice change. Susannah and Mia's relationship is interesting to watch unfold. I didn't like this one the first time I read it, but it has grown on me. ( )
  Morteana | Jun 22, 2018 |
Well then.
Susannah takes point in The Song of Susannah (as one would expect). Sweet Library Above. This one is also....interesting in ways I thought would be too corny but was absolutely not in it's execution. The writing in this one is absolutely excellent, and boy do I hope the conclusion is not just a dry description of Ka but action packed and FINAL in that way that truly excellent series-enders are. I won't mind if Ka is used to wrap up a few loose ends but I want the main end described in terms of characters.
Things I don't like about this particular installment:
OF COURSE IT IS A CLIFFHANGER AGAIN. AUGH WHY KING WHY.
So, yeah. If you passed over the series because the first volume was dry, know that it gets better, more visceral, and meaty, and that you will not be disappointed (as of the 6th volume). ( )
  m_mozeleski | May 13, 2018 |
Reading "Song of Susannah," the penultimate novel in Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, is rather like taking on the third leg of a triathlon.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jul 1, 2004)

It's no coincidence that Stephen King began the final sprint of his marathon "Dark Tower" epic shortly after the events of Sept. 11, 2001. What's now clear -- and certainly wasn't when some of us read "The Gunslinger," the first story in the sequence, more than 25 years ago -- is that this saga is more than just an unlikely mishmash of spaghetti Western, Arthurian high fantasy and post-apocalyptic sci-fi.

Reviewing the fifth volume of Stephen King's Dark Tower sequence, Wolves of the Calla, for this paper I suggested that this probably wasn't the best place for new readers to begin. Volume Six, Song of Susannah, however, almost works as a stand-alone novel, and is highly recommended for readers who enjoy the more metafictional side of King's oeuvre, and especially those who have been waiting for something along the lines of his greatest novel to date, Hearts in Atlantis.
added by stephmo | editThe Independent, Matt Thorne (Jun 6, 2004)

Stephen Kingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, DarrelIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Bergner, WulfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"Go then. There are other worlds than these."

John "Jake" Chambers
"I am a maid of constant sorrow

I've seen trouble all my days
All through the world I'm bound to ramble

I have no friends to show my way..."

Traditional
"Fair is whatever God wants to do."

Leif Enger

Peace Like a River
For Tabby, who knew when it was done.
How long will the magic stay?
Lemons.

Taking place mainly in our world (New York City and East Stoneham, Maine), this book picks up where Wolves of the Calla left off, with the ka-tet employing the help of the Manni to open the magic door inside Doorway Cave. The ka-tet are split up by the magic door, or perhaps ka, and sent to different 'wheres' and 'whens' in order to accomplish several essential goals pertaining to their quest towards the mysterious Dark Tower.
The next-to-last novel in Stephen King's seven-volume magnum opus, Song of Susannah is a fascinating key to the unfolding mystery of the Dark Tower.

To give birth to her "chap", demon-mother Mia has usurped the body of Susannah Dean and used the power of Black Thirteen to transport to New York City in the summer of 1999. The city is strange to Susannah...and terrifying to the "daughter of none" who shares her body and mind.

Saving the Tower depends not only on rescuing Susannah but also on securing the vacant lot Calvin Tower owns before he loses it to the Sombra Corporation. Enlisting the aid of Manni senders, the remaining ka-tet climbs to the Doorway Cave...and discovers that magic has its own mind. It falls to the boy, the billy bumbler, and the fallen priest to find Susannah-Mia, who in a struggle to cope, with each other and with an alien environment, "go todash" to Castle Discordia on the border of End-World. In that forsaken place, Mia reveals her origins, her purpose, and her fierce desire to mother whatever creature the two of them have carried to term.

Eddie and Roland, meanwhile, tumble into western Maine in the summer of 1977, a world that should be idyllic but isn't. For one thing, it is real, and the bullets are flying. For another, it is inhabited by the author of a novel called Salem's Lot, a writer who turns out to be as shocked by them as they are by him.

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is unlike anything you've ever heard. Here is Stephen King's most visionary piece of storytelling, a magical mix of fantasy and horror that may well be his crowning achievement. Don't miss the other volumes of Stephen King's The Dark Tower.

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is unlike anything you have ever read. Here is the penultimate installment.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:05 -0400)

Stephen King The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah with 10 full-color illustrations by Darrel Anderson The next-to-last novel in Stephen King's seven-volume magnum opus, Song of Susannah is at once a book of revelation, a fascinating key to the unfolding mystery of the Dark Tower, and a fast-paced story of double-barreled suspense. To give birth to her "chap," demon-mother Mia has usurped the body of Susannah Dean and used the power of Black Thirteen to transport to New York City in the summer of 1999. The city is strange to Susannah ... and terrifying to the "daughter of none," who shares her body and mind. Saving the Tower depends not only on rescuing Susannah but also on securing the vacant lot Calvin Tower owns before he loses it to the Sombra Corporation. Enlisting the aid of Manni senders, the remaining katet climbs to the Doorway Cave ... and discovers that magic has its own mind. It falls to the boy, the billy-bumbler, and the fallen priest to find Susannah-Mia, who, in a struggle to cope -- with each other and with an alien environment -- "go todash" to Castle Discordia on the border of End-World. In that forsaken place, Mia reveals her origins, her purpose, and her fierce desire to mother whatever creature the two of them have carried to term. Eddie and Roland, meanwhile, tumble into western Maine in the summer of 1977, a world that should be idyllic but isn't. For one thing, it is real, and the bullets are flying. For another, it is inhabited by the author of a novel called 'Salem's Lot, a writer who turns out to be as shocked by them as they are by him. These are the simple vectors of a story rich in complexity and conflict. Its dual climaxes, one at the entrance to a deadly dining establishment and the other appended to the pages of a writer's journal, will leave readers gasping for the saga's final volume (which, Dear Reader, follows soon, say thank ya).… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,787,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible