Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6) by…

Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6) (edition 2006)

by Stephen King, Darrel Anderson (Illustrator)

6,750None546 (3.89)48
Member:BShine
Title:Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, Book 6)
Authors:Stephen King
Other authors:Darrel Anderson (Illustrator)
Info:Pocket (2006), Mass Market Paperback, 560 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, Dark Tower

Song Of Susannah by Stephen King

adventure (17) audiobook (24) dark fantasy (20) dark tower (420) ebook (32) epic (42) epic fantasy (17) fantasy (666) fiction (524) first edition (15) gunslinger (44) hardcover (37) horror (322) King (52) New York (17) novel (42) own (31) post-apocalyptic (34) quest (21) read (95) Roland (19) science fiction (91) series (118) sff (21) Stephen King (127) suspense (15) thriller (15) to-read (45) unread (42) western (89)

English (62)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  Italian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (67)
I couldn't get enough of this series by Stephen King. Song of Susannah is put us in New York. Our faithful Ka-tet is trying to save Susannah and protect her from the "Men in Black." Susannah has becomed trapped in Mia's body and now the fight of saving Susannah is the most important thing.

This was one of my favorite series of Stephen King. I couldn't wait for the next book to be released. I have re-read this series at least 4 times. Each time I keep picking up on something new that I missed. Excellent series for a anyone! ( )
  cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |

cbilbo | Apr 8, 2014 |
And the Tower is closer... ( )
  bethie-paige | Jan 29, 2014 |
Song of Susannah by Stephen King (The Dark Tower Series book 6)
  Chantelle713 | Sep 25, 2013 |
Eh... This is probably my least favorite volume of the series so far. I'm not a big Susannah fan, so that probably had a lot to do with it. That said, I still liked it, I just wish it had a lot less Susannah and a lot more Eddie/Roland/Jake/Oy.

It was pretty short though, so that was a bonus. The brevity of it was surprising, amidst a sea of Dark Tower bricks. Refreshing even. I see this volume often referred to as a bridge between volumes five and seven, and that's a perfect description.

3.5 stars. On to book seven! The end draws near. ( )
  breakofdawn | Jun 11, 2013 |
Reading "Song of Susannah," the penultimate novel in Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series, is rather like taking on the third leg of a triathlon.
added by stephmo | editBoston Globe, Erica Noonan (Jul 1, 2004)

It's no coincidence that Stephen King began the final sprint of his marathon "Dark Tower" epic shortly after the events of Sept. 11, 2001. What's now clear -- and certainly wasn't when some of us read "The Gunslinger," the first story in the sequence, more than 25 years ago -- is that this saga is more than just an unlikely mishmash of spaghetti Western, Arthurian high fantasy and post-apocalyptic sci-fi.

Reviewing the fifth volume of Stephen King's Dark Tower sequence, Wolves of the Calla, for this paper I suggested that this probably wasn't the best place for new readers to begin. Volume Six, Song of Susannah, however, almost works as a stand-alone novel, and is highly recommended for readers who enjoy the more metafictional side of King's oeuvre, and especially those who have been waiting for something along the lines of his greatest novel to date, Hearts in Atlantis.
added by stephmo | editThe Independent, Matt Thorne (Jun 6, 2004)

"Go then. There are other worlds than these."

John "Jake" Chambers
"I am a maid of constant sorrow

I've seen trouble all my days
All through the world I'm bound to ramble

I have no friends to show my way..."

Traditional
"Fair is whatever God wants to do."

Leif Enger

Peace Like a River
For Tabby, who knew when it was done.
How long will the magic stay?
Lemons.

Taking place mainly in our world (New York City and East Stoneham, Maine), this book picks up where Wolves of the Calla left off, with the ka-tet employing the help of the Manni to open the magic door inside Doorway Cave. The ka-tet are split up by the magic door, or perhaps ka, and sent to different 'wheres' and 'whens' in order to accomplish several essential goals pertaining to their quest towards the mysterious Dark Tower.

Set in a world of extraordinary circumstances, filled with stunning visual imagery and unforgettable characters, The Dark Tower series is unlike anything you have ever read. Here is the penultimate installment.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:52:25 -0400)

Stephen King The Dark Tower VI: Song of Susannah with 10 illustrations by Darrel Anderson The next-to-last novel in Stephen King's seven-volume magnum opus, Song of Susannah is at once a book of revelation, a fascinating key to the unfolding mystery of the Dark Tower, and a fast-paced story of double-barreled suspense. To give birth to her "chap," demon-mother Mia has usurped the body of Susannah Dean and used the power of Black Thirteen to transport to New York City in the summer of 1999. The city is strange to Susannah ... and terrifying to the "daughter of none," who shares her body and mind. Saving the Tower depends not only on rescuing Susannah but also on securing the vacant lot Calvin Tower owns before he loses it to the Sombra Corporation. Enlisting the aid of Manni senders, the remaining katet climbs to the Doorway Cave ... and discovers that magic has its own mind. It falls to the boy, the billy-bumbler, and the fallen priest to find Susannah-Mia, who, in a struggle to cope -- with each other and with an alien environment -- "go todash" to Castle Discordia on the border of End-World. In that forsaken place, Mia reveals her origins, her purpose, and her fierce desire to mother whatever creature the two of them have carried to term. Eddie and Roland, meanwhile, tumble into western Maine in the summer of 1977, a world that should be idyllic but isn't. For one thing, it is real, and the bullets are flying. For another, it is inhabited by the author of a novel called 'Salem's Lot, a writer who turns out to be as shocked by them as they are by him. These are the simple vectors of a story rich in complexity and conflict. Its dual climaxes, one at the entrance to a deadly dining establishment and the other appended to the pages of a writer's journal, will leave readers gasping for the saga's final volume (which, Dear Reader, follows soon, say thank ya).… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,414,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible