Words in the Dust by Trent Reedy

Words in the Dust (edition 2013)

by Trent Reedy (Author)

Zulaikha, a thirteen-year-old girl in Afghanistan, faces a series of frightening but exhilirating changes in her life as she defies her father and secretly meets with an old woman who teaches her to read, her older sister gets married, and American troops offer her surgery to fix her disfiguring cleft lip.… (more)
Member:SMASNLearningCommons
Title:Words in the Dust
Authors:Trent Reedy (Author)
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2013), Edition: Reissue, 272 pages

Work Information

Words in the Dust by Trent Reedy

Read - ers follow the story of Zulaikha, a 13-year-old Afghan girl with a cleft lip, who does not know how to read, as she strives to overcome physi - cal and cultural obstacles.
  NCSS | Jul 23, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Terrific. ( )
  GratzFamily | Aug 16, 2019 |
This book definitely changed my perspective of Americans and civilians in Afghanistan. This book was from the perspective of and Afghani girl who has cleb lip. She often had to deal with the bullies in her neighborhood. They often threw rock and insulted Zulaihka and her brother. She met the Americans who came to her village and they offered her surgery for her face. She agreed and later had her lip fixed, and didn't cover her face as much. She also liked to go to school.
It is interesting to me how people going to school hate it, but people who don't would like to go. Great book to see perspectives of other cultures. ( )
1 vote TristanC.G1 | May 30, 2019 |
This book was amazing. I got to see a side of the world that I, myself have never experienced. The main character Zulaikha, seemed to reach out to me and show me her world through her eyes. I have read A Thousand Splendid Sun, and this book help me understand it. The different customs between both cultures were interesting to see unfold. Also the way that some people view Americans, in the way that we are "horrible, bad. etc" but still want our help was interesting to read about. This book also made me think about what I should do with my life, I have more opportunities, I should take advantage of them. ( )
  bookscantgetenough | May 5, 2019 |

In the tradition of SHABANU, DAUGHTER OF THE WIND and THE BREADWINNER, a beautiful debut about a daughter of Afghanistan discovering new friends and opportunities after the defeat of the Taliban.
Zulaikha hopes. She hopes for peace, now that the Taliban have been driven from Afghanistan; a good relationship with her hard stepmother; and one day even to go to school, or to have her cleft palate fixed. Zulaikha knows all will be provided for her--"Inshallah," God willing.

Then she meets Meena, who offers to teach her the Afghan poetry she taught her late mother. And the Americans come to the village, promising not just new opportunities and dangers, but surgery to fix her face. These changes could mean a whole new life for Zulaikha--but can she dare to hope they'll come true?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,403,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible