Department 19 (Department 19, Book 1) by…

Department 19 (Department 19, Book 1) (edition 2011)

by Will Hill

Series: Department 19 (1)

After watching his father's brutal murder, sixteen-year-old Jamie Carpenter joins Department 19, a secret government agency, where he learns of the existence of vampires and the history that ties him to the team destined to stop them.
Member:pmhlearningcentre
Title:Department 19 (Department 19, Book 1)
Authors:Will Hill
Info:HarperCollinsChildren'sBooks (2011), Kindle Edition, 496 pages
Tags:eBook(PMH)

Department 19 by Will Hill

The Monster Hunters by Larry Correia (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Although the Department 19 books are classified young adult, I honestly did not find the level of writing to be much different than in the adult books other than the main characters being teens and going through some growing pains about love and life and loyalty, etc. I think anyone who likes the Department 19 books would enjoy the Monster Hunters series by Larry Correia as they are both about secret agencies that train hard and use all their skills to take out monsters like vampires or werewolves or other things that are aiming to harm the human race.… (more)
    I Left My Haunt in San Francisco by Mark Everett Stone (LongDogMom)
    Rampant by Diana Peterfreund (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Another YA urban fantasy about supernatural hunters/assassins from families
    Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon (nazazael)

Good action and mystery, lots of gory gore. Keeps you reading, and for such a hefty book it flies by. My one issue (and I suspect this is just my current mood) was the way women are treated in the story. There are a couple strong teen girl characters, but I'm so sick of books where women need saving. SO SICK OF IT. I doubt most teens will read this and have an issue there, so it's a great book to recommend. ( )
  bookbrig | Aug 5, 2020 |
Not great but fun and a quick, engaging read. If I were to try to describe it to someone who reads a lot in this genre, I'll call it "Monster Hunter International" for the younger crowd. The story line is fairly predictable but it kept my interest and I'll most likely read the rest of the books in the series. ( )
  J_Colson | Nov 30, 2017 |
There is a lot of promise offered that goes undelivered in this Alex Rider meets uk tv show Demons novel. Good premise and smartish story but not delivered well.
For my full review see http://sapphireddragon.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-department-19-by-will-hill.ht... ( )
  SapphiredDragon | Nov 21, 2017 |
I really liked this book because it had tons of action, fear, suspense, and gore. It was a great horror book. In this book, Jamie is surprised to see his dad home so early. His dad seemed in a hurry and scared. A bit after, a bunch of people in black suits came over and shot him up. 2 years later, Jamie skips school and is almost killed by a vampire girl, but is spared because she is turned a short time ago and still has some sentiment. Jamie then goes home and sees that his mother is kidnapped by the second oldest vampire in the world. Jamie goes to Department 19, which is the department in Britain that kills vampires. Jamie trains for a bit, and on the simulator that the trainees have to take a "vampire killing test". He turns out to be a prodigy. Jamies later goes to the Chemist, who is a vampire that makes drugs made especially for vampires. It is a dead end. Later, Jamie sees the vampire girl who's name is Larissa. Larissa promises to take Jamie to his mother and takes him to the Chemist. After being threatened by Larissa, they go to a village full of pacifist vampires. They get nowhere in their wild goose chase. Later, there is a vampire attack on an island nearby. They go, rescue Jamie's mother, and kill all the vampire there, including the one that kidnapped Jamie's mother. At the end of the book, Dracula is raised by the former oldest and most powerful vampire. The end. ( )
  kaip.g1 | Jun 1, 2017 |
Wow. Extremely well written and thought out. I was dragged into this story, and I didn't want to come out. ( )
  DaffiMere | Sep 20, 2016 |

Belongs to Series

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Will Hill's book Department 19 was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,244,365 books! | Top bar: Always visible