Le Cinquième Témoin by Michael…

Le Cinquième Témoin (edition 2014)

by Michael Connelly (Author)

Member:lcottereau
Title:Le Cinquième Témoin
Authors:Michael Connelly (Author)
Info:Le Livre de Poche (2014), 648 pages
Collections:Your digital library
Rating:*****

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly

Recently added bydmlondo, Jerry1955, HollandseClub, LitaVore, Lesleyboon, Kuz, Rena37, private library, barnabasanglican

English (69)  Dutch (1)  All (70)
Mickey is defending a woman who is on trial for murdering a banker who is trying to take her home in a foreclosure suit. ( )
  pgabj | Jan 28, 2017 |
Probably my second-favorite book of the series. Good story, the twist I've come to expect from Michael Connelly but still love, and I like Mickey Haller as a lawyer and as a person. There was one plot point I found a little questionable, but I like the rest of the story so much I'm willing to overlook it. Setting this book against the backdrop of the housing/bankruptcy/foreclosure crisis was a nice move that made the storyline feel up-to-date and relevant. There's even a plot point that revolves around Facebook -- and I appreciate when authors incorporate technology instead of pretending it doesn't exist. Not that I want my heroes and heroines constantly emailing and texting each other, because that's annoying in its own (albeit realistic) way, but pretending characters only talk to people when they physically see them is another kind of annoying. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |
This was a great read. Initially I was thinking how could a foreclosure themed case be a interesting read, but realized it was a backdrop for a bigger interesting case. the twists and turns during the trial were amazing and unexpected. this book hooks strong and cant be put down easily without completing it. Each book in the series till now have been unique and gripping. Hope this continues for the rest of the series. ( )
  _RSK | Jan 26, 2016 |
Good beginning, great, super twisty ending! The middle, well, I found the trial to be kind of boring. But, it's my first "Lincoln Lawyer" novel, so maybe that's just how they are. I loved the idea of the murder victim being someone from the foreclosure industry! Very timely! And I really loved the end! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jan 23, 2016 |
Loved it. Haller is easily becoming one of my favorite characters. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Nov 12, 2015 |
With The Fifth Witness it’s beginning to seem that Connelly can do no wrong. This latest novel is as shamelessly entertaining as its predecessors, with the customary skilful plotting even more burnished.

As well as making some telling points about the world we live in this is a reminder that in the crime fiction stakes Connelly is comfortably in the upper bracket.

“With me, it’s don’t ask, don’t tell,” Mickey tells the starry-eyed Bullock, who wonders why this junkyard dog never asks his client if she’s innocent. Though the answer isn’t as mysterious as you might like, the courtroom scenes—thrust, parry, struggle for every possible advantage—are grueling enough for the most exacting connoisseur of legal intrigue.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Feb 1, 2011)

This is for Dennis Wojciechowski,
with many thanks.
Mrs. Pena looked across the seat at me and held her hands up in a beseeching manner.
"One more thing," the producer said. "I was thinking of going to Matthew McConaughey with this. He'd be excellent. But who do you think could play you?" [p. 115]

Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too--and he's certain he's on the right trail.

Despite the danger and uncertainty, Haller mounts the best defense of his career in a trial where the last surprise comes after the verdict is in. Connelly proves again why he "may very well be the best novelist working in the United States today" (San Francisco Chronicle).

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:03 -0400)

Mickey Haller has fallen on tough times. He expands his business into foreclosure defense, only to see one of his clients accused of killing the banker she blames for trying to take away her home. Mickey puts his team into high gear to exonerate Lisa Trammel, even though the evidence and his own suspicions tell him his client is guilty. Soon after he learns that the victim had black market dealings of his own, Haller is assaulted, too, and he's certain he's on the right trail.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,247,315 books! | Top bar: Always visible