Phantom Evil by Heather Graham

Phantom Evil

by Heather Graham

Series: Krewe of Hunters (1)

Heading a group of paranormal investigators for the government, Jackson Crow--part English, part Cheyenne--uses his link to the realm of spirits to help solve the mysterious death of a senator's wife with the help of Angela Hawkins, a police officer with paranormal intuition.

English (37)  Italian (1)  All languages (38)
Surprisingly good:

I love it when a book pleasantly surprises and this book did it. I enjoyed all the characters in the team of Krewe Hunters and also enjoyed the mystery and how the author brought it all together in the end. I wasn’t sure what to expect from this one and I am glad the author focused on both the paranormal and human side of the world are team gets involved in.

The mystery is great and had plenty twists along the way to keep the listener wondering just how convoluted and tied together all the characters are. I loved the diversity of the team members and they each brought something special into the story.

My one complaint was I wanted to learn my about each member of the team and this book was mainly focused on Jackson and Angela. I am hoping to learn more about each team member as the series continues.

The narrator was really good and I was excited to get back to the story each time. Look forward to the next book in the series. ( )
  TVNerd95 | Jul 6, 2019 |
What I was after was a lighthearted fun paranormal book, an easy book to read when you are in need of something frivolous after some heavy dark books. What I got was a book that lacked any depth whatsoever. Characters that are not memorable, two main characters that at first doesn't seem to really go along, but end up in bed after a day or two. And, then they have some more sex during the book just because why the hell not. I mean they are working, trying to figure out if a woman was murdered or not, but nevermind that.

I'm so completely sick and tired of books that make the main characters sleep with each other almost right after they meet. Of course, they must have a pretend we are a couple moment before that's not so pretending.

In short, this is a stupid book. It lacks charm and it lacks an interesting story. It's also painfully slow to get through, and I read it is Swedish and I was skimming a hell of a lot of it and still I suffered.

I have read a book in this series before and that one was better than this one and since then have I been curious about reading more. Now I don't have to be curious anymore. I'm also pleased that the book didn't cost me a dime.

Will I read more? I do own an eBook in this series, but I will not read it anytime soon! ( )
  MaraBlaise | May 19, 2019 |
It's not great literature. It's a bit formulaic. But man, it's addictive. Like Pixy Stix. ( )
  liz.mabry | May 13, 2019 |
Phantom Evil is the first book in the Krewe of Hunters series, a group led by skeptic Jackson Crowe that consists of individuals from different backgrounds who have some level of paranormal ability. In this novel, a state senator from Louisiana requests their services after his wife is killed in a house inhabited by ghosts—at least the senator wants to prove there are ghosts and that his wife didn’t commit suicide. Angela, the former cop who has an ability to see the dead, immediately makes a connection with the ghosts of the house, many of whom were killed by a serial killer from the post-Civil War era.

There were things I liked about this novel. I liked the mix of characters that composed the Krewe of Hunters. I liked the setup to the story and the mystery that they had to solve. Where the novel really falls short is in believability. The believability issues have nothing to do with the paranormal elements. It’s the real world aspects of it that make it fall apart. Namely, the cast of characters surrounding the senator, their actions, motivations, and the fact that the news media in Louisiana or the police could not even get a sniff of some of the things that they were doing strike me as being a bit ridiculous. I could only stretch my suspension of disbelief so far. As things unfolded, I had a hard time staying in the story because it was too hard to swallow.

Carl Alves - author of Battle of the Soul ( )
  Carl_Alves | Jan 6, 2019 |
Phantom Evil
3 Stars

Synopsis:
A secret unit of six paranormal investigators, each with their own unique skill, is called following the mysterious death of a state senator’s wife. Regina Holloway allegedly fell to her death in a house reportedly haunted by the victims of a post civil war serial killer. As the investigation progresses and the team grows closer both personally and professionally, they must determine whether Regina was the victim of a malevolent ghost or the more insidious machinations of someone closer to home.

Review:
The underlying premise of a haunted house is intriguing and the opening chapters are well written and engaging. Unfortunately, this trend does not continue and the writing becomes excessively descriptive and the dialogue forced. There are also one or two editorial slip-ups that create some confusion. For example, one character’s involvement in a nefarious group is revealed through conversation before the event exposing his connection actually occurs.
The characterization is unrealistic. It is extremely difficult to believe that six individuals from such diverse backgrounds will come together so cohesively in a relatively short period of time with absolutely no friction or conflict – this goes against human nature.
The romantic leads lack both tension and chemistry in their relationship. The hero is completely cold and unsympathetic, and the heroine’s initial dislike for him changes almost immediately into an incomprehensible attraction.
Finally, the conclusion is convoluted, and while some aspects of the mystery are solved others remain unexplained, which leaves the reader with a less that satisfied feeling.
Notwithstanding the above, this is a good ghost-hunting story with some interesting twists and turns. Moreover, readers with a passion for New Orleans history and culture will be entertained by the setting and atmosphere.
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Heather Grahamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bush, Charles WilliamAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'Mommy.' (prologue)
Jackson Crow sat starring at the pile of dossiers before him. (chapter 1)
ISBNs 1441896198 and 144189618X are unabridged audiobook

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,768,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible