Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's…

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to… (2010)

by Todd Burpo

Other authors: Lynn Vincent

3,3682052,283 (3.68)59
    An Amish Awakening by Rick Leland (JenniferRobb)
    JenniferRobb: Not an Amish connection as in An Amish Awakening, but the child in the account is believed to have visited Heaven and returned.
    Akiane: Her Life, Her Art, Her Poetry by Akiane Kramarik (StarryNightElf)
    23 Minutes in Hell by Bill Wiese (meggyweg)

English (204)  German (1)  All languages (205)
How you view this book is liable to be determined by how you are swayed by the story it tells: a four-year-old boy falls sick and eventually is hospitalized with a slow-to-be-diagnosed battle with acute appendicitis, then much worse. It's fairly similar in scope to what happened to my wife back in 1991, though her problems were caused by the procedure, rather than remedied by it…but that's a different story. A massive infection ensues, and pretty soon you're at death's door, and you have his spare key.

Anyway, little Colton's story is just beginning, because later, after he's recovered, he starts telling his father (a Pastor at a small church) some pretty remarkable things. Things that happened to him while he was being worked on, when he passed unknowingly from life to death…something even his parents weren't aware had happened at the time.

Now, this sort of thing has been described before, but perhaps not in this way. Colton speaks in the frank nature of one of his years, and of things beyond our ken as adults…certainly far beyond that of a child.

But perhaps that's not true. Maybe it is easier for a child to understand this sort of thing. I always believed that you're never closer to God when you're young, and that you drift away as you age. I have a lot of theories, but this isn't the time or place. And don't worry, I won't give any more of it away, though the title should give you enough of a clue. How much of it you believe…well, that's up to you, but I think it's plenty to say this is an unusual story about an out-of-this world series of events. If it's legit, then perhaps we have something to look forward to… ( )
  Jamski | Jul 18, 2018 |
There are so many negative reviews of this book. I don't know why some people read it without reading the back story that yes it was a child of four telling his parents that he went to heaven. If you knew that I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't have bothered to read it and there wouldn't be so much negative reviews. I guess I don't think ill of people as much as others because I found this boy's story true if at least plausible. I'm pretty sketchy when it comes between God and me so that's why I wanted to read 15 spiritual books this year. The main problem people see with it is that the father is a preacher and I guess I can get that. But seriously what would the point be? People need to learn to trust. I'm sure no one told him about his mother having a miscarriage at age four. Come on.

Okay. Let's talk about the story first before I go ranting again. I believed it. Throughout I did not doubt the story. And no I don't think I'm gullible. Sorry the reviews got to me. This little boy got terribly sick one day at the age of three. His parents I believe really should have done something sooner. They were ridiculous. Your child is throwing up nonstop for one in a half days? Yeah. The third time he would have been in the hospital. The things this kid was crazy. I really think he wouldn't have been able to say what he saw so vividly unless the whole story was made up. Some things he said really resonated with me. The miscarriage for one. How they girl was in Heaven waiting for them. That killed me. I was crying throughout this book. There was also his father's grandfather being young and in Heaven. It was like wow. How he was young and didn't have glasses. We are in Heaven in our prime? That was awesome to read. Now of course I am a little skeptical especially hearing others reviews because it's inevitable that when I hear other people's opinions that I look at mine more closely but I also have a little skepticism anyways but not as much as you may think. Honestly I really liked reading it and the boy's point of view. I think you should read it even if you are skeptical and form your own opinion of it.

http://shesgotbooksonhermind.blogspot.com/ ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
I read this awhile back but I was absolutely captivated by it. It was very uplifting. ( )
  spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
This was a very short book that tells the story of a little boy who came close to dying and later tells the story of how he went to Heaven. This is a difficult book to rate as an objective reader. It was not great literature, and the story itself could have been told in half (or less) the pages. However, the story was nice to read, I could feel for the people involved, and like many other reviews point out, it makes you think.

I don't doubt the truth of the story told by the Pastor/Father of the boy, but it does seem to be very specific in its details for quotes and specific details that were recalled over the course of years. Do I take the story at its word? Probably not, but I also don't think the author and people from the story are lying. Do I think they are delusional? No - and I am now stuck in a place where I don't know how to explain my thoughts about the story. I am glad I read it because it made me think, but I don't think the details of the story were important to get me there. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
Real life account of a small boy with a ruptured appendix who is seriously ill, not suppose to live. But he does. Over the course of 1-2 years, he talks about Heaven and Jesus that he saw, along with meeting a great grandfather who was dead before he was born and a sister whom his mother had miscarried before he was born. He had never known anything about her prior to this. I am still mulling all of this over, not knowing what to make of it. ( )
  LivelyLady | Mar 17, 2018 |
Het verhaal van de vierjarige Colton, die in allerijl geopereerd moest worden aan een ontstoken blindedarm. De situatie is levensbedreigend en tijdens de operatie sterft Colton bijna. Wonder boven wonder herstelt hij en begint dan te vertellen, hoe hij de artsen met hem bezig zag. Wat zijn ouders op dat moment deden en voelden. De familie weet niet wat ze met zijn verhalen aanmoet. Maar de verhalen die Colton vertelt over zijn ervaringen met God, met Jezus in de hemel, de ontmoetingen daar met zijn te vroeg geboren zusje en zijn overgrootvader, informatie die hij nooit eerder gehoord had, zeker niet met zoveel details, doen bij zijn ouders (zijn vader is predikant en ondernemer) en bij de geloofsgemeenschap in het dorpje Imperial (Nebraska) de overtuiging groeien dat zij hem wel moeten geloven... Todd Burpo en zijn vrouw, zeer gelovig, maar niet zweverig, vertellen dit verhaal tot in de kleinste details en spiegelen alle informatie die hun zoon hun geeft aan verhalen in de Bijbel. De journalist Lynn Vincent is co-auteur. De lezer moet de rode draad in het verhaal goed vasthouden, maar zal geboeid raken door de openheid en eerlijkheid. Er is meer tussen hemel en aarde dan mensen kunnen vermoeden.

Drs. E. Wigchert
added by karnoefel | editBol.com

Todd Burpoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vincent, Lynnsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Dekker, JeannetTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gallagher, DeanNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hall, James W.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Leisering, Doris C.Übersetzersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.
—Jesus of Nazareth
Prologue
The Fourth of July holiday calls up memories of patriotic parades, the savory scents of smoky barbecue, sweet corn, and night skies bursting with showers of light.

A young boy emerges from life-saving surgery with remarkable stories of his visit to heaven.

Heaven Is for Real is the true story of the four-year old son of a small town Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven. He survives and begins talking about being able to look down and see the doctor operating and his dad praying in the waiting room. The family didn't know what to believe but soon the evidence was clear.

Colton said he met his miscarried sister, whom no one had told him about, and his great grandfather who died 30 years before Colton was born, then shared impossible-to-know details about each. He describes the horse that only Jesus could ride, about how "reaaally big" God and his chair are, and how the Holy Spirit "shoots down power" from heaven to help us.

Told by the father, but often in Colton's own words, the disarmingly simple message is heaven is a real place, Jesus really loves children, and be ready, there is a coming last battle.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:05 -0400)

Presents the story of the four-year old son of a Nebraska pastor who during emergency surgery slips from consciousness and enters heaven.

Beyond Words Publishing

2 editions of this book were published by Beyond Words Publishing.

Editions: 0849946158, 0849922070

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,978,618 books! | Top bar: Always visible