Silent Voices by Ann Cleeves

Silent Voices

by Ann Cleeves

Series: Vera Stanhope (4)

3441247,365 (3.86)2 / 48
Recently added byrena75, Callandra, -Eva-
    Raven Black by Ann Cleeves (Andrew-theQM)
    Andrew-theQM: If you enjoy the Vera Stanhope Series, I think you will enjoy the Shetland Islands series by Ann Cleeves.

A really great mystery. A wonderful audiobook. The narrator, Charlie Hardwick really brings the book to life. Ann Cleeves is a master. She delves into the psychology of her characters which makes them very real. A good puzzle, trying to solve the crimes before the detectives. My husband and I really enjoyed listening to this together. Often hearing parts for a second time as one of us caught up with the other. We even liked listening again. ( )
  njcur | Jan 9, 2019 |
Another great book from Ann Cleeves. I love Vera Stanhope with all her imperfections and insecurities. ( )
  scot2 | Jul 1, 2017 |
This is the second book I have read by this author but the first in this series. I jumped right into this book with no problems. I like Vera. She is an intriguing person. I am going to check out the prior books in this series as well as check out the television series. I have to say that the British sure do know how to write. There was a lot of movement that kept my reading without much lag time. I just love the way that the British talk. What I really liked is the term of endearment that the British have for people by calling them "pet". It was like I had such a vivid image of everything as it played out in the story. I have a way of allowing the characters to just come alive in my head, so I can hear the voices and have been known to actually start speaking in an accent as I am reading a book from British, Scottish, to the deep South.

For those readers who like mysteries but not a lot of gore. This book is right up your alley as it fits right between cozy and gore. What I liked the best about Vera is that she is not perfect and in fact, she came off as "human" then just a Inspector. Her co-workers actually are quite intelligent as well. As the story progressed I was able to put all of the pieces together before the end. Yet I was not disappointed. A nice read. ( )
1 vote Cherylk | Aug 5, 2016 |
A fun, old-fashioned "whodunit". The murders take place in a small village (think Midsummer Murders) with Insp Vera Stanhope & her team solving the case. This book isn't the best in the series but it's still a solid 3.5 star effort. A pleasant summer read. ( )
1 vote Icewineanne | Aug 4, 2016 |
In the fourth book featuring Detective Inspector Vera Stanhope, we find her swimming at a local health club on the advice of her doctor to lose some weight. While sitting in the sauna, she discovers a dead body. Jenny Lister, the dead woman, doesn't seem like the usual murder candidate. She was a respectable woman with a teenage daughter and a career as a social worker.

The case unfolds gradually and there are lots of potential suspects, but no one seems quite right. Vera is always reluctant to delegate, so she conducts most of the interviews herself. If you've read any other books in this series you already know Vera can alienate even the most cooperative witnesses. Vera knows the key to finding the murderer lies in being able to tie all the small gossip together. There are plenty of red herrings in this book.

I thought this was a classic police procedural with well-drawn characters. Vera is not very genteel but she can certainly charm the reader in her own way. I like the way she can be so obnoxious, hiding how smart she really is. But not charming.....definitely not charming. You may not want her for a friend, but you definitely want her investigating your murder. ( )
1 vote Olivermagnus | Jul 26, 2016 |

Ann Cleevesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Baldeosingh Rotstein, DavidCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Tim
Vera swam slowly.

When Inspector Vera Stanhope finds the body of a woman in the sauna room of her local gym, she wonders briefly if, for once in her life, she's uncovered a simple death from natural causes. But a closer inspection reveals bruises around the victim's throat, and Vera quickly realizes that she has a murder on her hands.… (more)

Minotaur Books

An edition of this book was published by Minotaur Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible