Books that Changed the World by Robert B.…

Books that Changed the World (original 1956; edition 2004)

by Robert B. Downs (Author)

From the Bible to "Das Kapital," this revised and greatly expanded edition is a monument to the power of the printed word--an informative discussion of many of the most important works ever created. Reissue.
Member:concordlt
Title:Books that Changed the World
Authors:Robert B. Downs (Author)
Info:Signet (2004), Edition: Revised ed., 352 pages

Work Information

Books that Changed the World by Robert B. Downs (1956)

English (4)  Spanish (1)  All languages (5)
Original price 35 cents and falling apart, and furthermore written before I was born, this was my introduction to influential books. Good thumbnail sketches. Still holds up.
  kencf0618 | Apr 28, 2021 |
Not a book to be reread often and I have let 50 years lapse between readings. Meanwhile, I managed to read five of the sixteen books listed. I confess, it was like penance in most cases, going back to school, not reading for pleasure but to see if I could read, digest and absorb important information. I read this one sort of as a Cliff's Notes for the other books that I knew I would never actually sit down and read. ( )
  Karen74Leigh | Dec 19, 2019 |
Let's start by saying this book is over 60 years old but out of the sixteen books covered I've read one (Uncle Tom's Cabin); have another which I still intend to read (The Prince) and I have not heard of two (Mahan's The Influence of Sea Power on History and Mackinder's The Geographical Pivot of History). Split into two sections - The World of Man, which covers 10 books, and The World of Science, about 6 books. Each section is in published chronological order - from Macchiavelli to Hitler and from Copernicus to Einstein. I like the way that Downs talks about his selections, a bit of background to the author and the times their writings first appeared; a bit about the actual book; and then the impact at that time and why he thinks that they have had a lasting impact. It hasn't encouraged me to actually get around to reading the selections but at least I am more informed about these influential works. ( )
1 vote calm | Jul 5, 2011 |
I wrote something about this book over here: http://tinyurl.com/89mmc
  hesperides | Nov 11, 2005 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,247,852 books! | Top bar: Always visible