Sin City: Family Values

by Frank Miller

Series: Sin City (Vol. 5)

Frank Miller's first-ever original graphic novel is one of Sin City's nastiest yarns to date! Starring fan-favorite characters Dwight and Miho, this newly redesigned edition sports a brand-new cover by Miller, some of his first comics art in years! There's a kind of debt you can't ever pay off, not entirely. And that's the kind of debt Dwight owes Gail. The girls of Old Town have their own family values, their own laws, and when someone too dumb to know better breaks them, an example needs to be set.… (more)

Another compelling read from Miller in his iconic Sin City series. Not much more to say than I did in my review of the first one ([b:Sin City, Vol. 1: The Hard Goodbye|392297|Sin City, Vol. 1 The Hard Goodbye (Sin City, #1)|Frank Miller|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1396598209s/392297.jpg|3696736]). ( )
  bbbart | Dec 27, 2020 |
My only complaint is that, compared to previous volumes, the story blows by way too quickly. ( )
  NaleagDeco | Dec 13, 2020 |
In my re-read of Sin City this is the first of the series that achieved only a two star rating from me. It seemed as if the art quality in this issue diminished - there were less defined and spartan drawings, far more busy scenes that were ultimately a bit difficult to parse out. Miho, further, looked strangely unfinished. At times I had to reread a page multiple times, looking over the scene to figure out just what I missed.

[book: Family Values] largely focuses upon a mob-hit and the repercussions. Sometimes people get sloppy, after all, and unfortunate things tend to occur when that happens. This is a fairly cut and dry mystery - a slow climb to the top with Miho slicing through people on the way. The focus isn't really on Dwight or even Miho, it's an odd, floating story.

Ultimately, this book was all right, but nothing truly special. It entertained, but not to the extent that the other volumes did. It felt shorter, less developed, and ultimately the lack of focus on a single protagonist hurt more than it helped. Dwight's constant joking about just when he'd kill the bad guys ultimately didn't help the volume either. Altogether, it was fairly lackluster compared to the rest. Sin City tends to be much higher quality than this. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
The bummer with this? It's too damn short!!!

We have Dwight and "Deadly little Miho" on an 'adventure'! Well written, lots of action, especially for Miho, and like I said, it ends too quickly for my tastes. Can't wait to read the next volume! ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Jun 22, 2017 |
Finally a story that isn't in the first two movies. It's a shorter one that doesn't really have the normal twists and turns. Kind of a let down actually. ( )
  kallai7 | Mar 23, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,241,384 books! | Top bar: Always visible