HomeGroupsTalkExplore

From Socrates to Sartre: The Philosophic Quest (1984)

by T. Z. Lavine

A challenging new look at the great thinkers whose ides have shaped our civilization From Socrates to Sartre presents a rousing and readable introduction to the lives, and times of the great philosophers. This thought-provoking book takes us from the inception of Western society in Plato’s Athens to today when the commanding power of Marxism has captured one third of the world. T. Z. Lavine, Elton Professor of Philosophy at George Washington University, makes philosophy come alive with astonishing clarity to give us a deeper, more meaningful understanding of ourselves and our times. From Socrates to Sartre discusses Western philosophers in terms of the historical and intellectual environment which influenced them, and it connects their lasting ideas to the public and private choices we face in America today. From Socrates to Sartre formed the basis of from the PBS television series of the same name.… (more)

12/5/21
  laplantelibrary | Dec 5, 2021 |
This book is very good and contains easy to understand explanations about the philosophies of the great philosophers. I really learned a lot from this book. Highly recommended ( )
  zen_923 | Jul 26, 2011 |
This work is an overview of Western philosophy and its development through analyses of six major figures: Plato, Descartes, Hume, Hegel, Marx, and Sartre, while using other well known philosophers as links between each. For example, the contributions of Nietzsche and Kierkegard to existentialist thought are explored in brief before turning to Sartre. Considering that this work covers the overarching current of its subject, which has developed over a period of twenty five hundred years, this work is pretty straight forward and easy to digest. Most anybody with an interest and a critical eye can move through this book with pleasure. In reading Lavine's survey, one will gain a comprehensive understanding of philosophy, its key figures, its concepts, and a proficient knowledge of its development from the Greeks all the way to the modern conflict between phenomenology and linguistic philosophy. For those who ponder where to start in reading philosophy, this is as fine an introduction as one could ever hope to get. A text that is thorough, objective, and accessible. ( )
  poetontheone | Apr 21, 2010 |
one of my first introductions into philosophy, this changed my world in 1983. in the heidi timeline, this is a significant moment, following seeing bladerunner in 1982 and coming before reading 1984. ( )
  heidilove | Dec 8, 2005 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 183,271,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible